1VD conversion into an Iveco daily 4x4 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched a fair bit but can't find much info on this.

I've got an Iveco daily 4x4 rolling shell. I'm most of the way through putting and LS3 in it but fuel prices have made me change my mind :/

So I'm thinking about buying a wrecked 200 series or 79 series and putting a 1VD into my truck.
I've measured one up and it would fit; just.
I'd use the trans from the cruiser along with most of the wiring loom including the gauge cluster, fuse box, ECU, TCU (if 200 series), gear selector and throttle pedal.

Does anyone know what other modules a 200 series has that would need to be transferred across?

I'm not new to engine conversions, but I am new to cruisers.

The truck has a divorced transfer case. It uses a short drive shaft from gearbox to transfer case. Would it be possible to remove the cruiser transfer case and run the box without it?
Getting a drive shaft made to slide directly into the back of the gearbox. Without pulling one apart I don't know how the rear of the box is sealed.

Using the cruiser transfer case probably isn't possible as the front/rear diffs both have central pumpkins and the front drive shaft might not clear the trans/sump.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Are you sure that a VD series engine will get better fuel economy than an LS?
Haha I'd hope so! Particularly if it's the 200 series version with 6 speed auto.
The truck is about 3 ton empty, 4.5 ton GVM, 8 ton GCM and runs on 37" muddies.
So load on the engine will be pretty high.
I had a look at the economy people are getting in LS patrols on 37's and it was pretty terrible!!
Surely a diesel would be better!

Haha I'd hope so! Particularly if it's the 200 series version with 6 speed auto.
The truck is about 3 ton empty, 4.5 ton GVM, 8 ton GCM and runs on 37" muddies.
So load on the engine will be pretty high.
I had a look at the economy people are getting in LS patrols on 37's and it was pretty terrible!!
Surely a diesel would be better!
My bad. I was mixing this up with the 4.7l gas V8 (UZ). I agree, the VD should be pretty sweet. I’ll be watching for details on this. Sounds like a cool build.

I would chat to some guys with a 200 about your fuel consumption first. I don't have a lot of experience with the 200, but I do with a vdj79, and stock they only put out about 150kw, lame, and give about 7-8 km/L. If you chip it to get more power, which I would, you'll get up to about 180-200kw depending on other mods and about 6-7km/L. My 1uz powered 45 does better.

Your milage may vary, and I'm not knocking the 1VD, good motor, but it's not the fuel saver most people think it to be

I would chat to some guys with a 200 about your fuel consumption first. I don't have a lot of experience with the 200, but I do with a vdj79, and stock they only put out about 150kw, lame, and give about 7-8 km/L. If you chip it to get more power, which I would, you'll get up to about 180-200kw depending on other mods and about 6-7km/L. My 1uz powered 45 does better.

Your milage may vary, and I'm not knocking the 1VD, good motor, but it's not the fuel saver most people think it to be
Yea I know they're not exactly a power house in standard form. The 200 series would be better but I think I'll probably go for the 79 series to avoid as many electronics as possible.

I could live with 6 km/l tbh.
I can't think of any other engines that would be a better fit.
A big selling point is no DPF if I can find a 2013 - 2016 donor.

Can't you get a replacement drivetrain over there? They came stock with a 130kW 3 liter engine i think, not fast, but reliable.
It's proving to be surprisingly difficult to get a replacement engine/trans! The 4x4 engines are different than the 2x4 ones and there aren't many around :/

On top of that, a 3.0 engine for such a heavy truck makes me nervous

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom