Your feedback is appreciated—creating a SuperFSM (1 Viewer)

Which device do you use to refer to repair info when doing repairs?

• Mobile

• Tablet

• Laptop

• Print out or book/manual

• Desktop (not located near work area)

Results are only viewable after voting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In April, I bought a 1994 FZJ80 with 201k miles. Since then I've spent much time on Mud, researching anything and everything about the truck.

Mud is great. Finding this forum, and reading all the knowledgeable posts, is what convinced me to buy an 80s Cruiser (I was also considering the 4Runner at the time).

Although the forums contain a lot of detailed information and threads, as a designer/developer I was (and still am) frustrated at times with trying to find the right information without having to do tons of content filtering.

Design can present information in its' highest form of usability and readability; it can make information engaging. Technology can be used to eliminate repetitive actions and organize information.

My day job involves providing users of my company's analytics web platform an intuitive, easy-to-use experience. So, it inspired me to use my design skills to contribute to an awesome community.

I decided to start a site, CruiserTools.com, with the intent of building various web tools for 80 Series enthusiasts. I have quite a few ideas, but first and foremost on my bucketlist is creating a comprehensive "SuperFSM".

There's some great threads and guides out there. The problem is that tidbits of information can be spread across multiple threads; and each thread is broken up by comments, signature lines and other discussion that sometimes doesn't pertain to the original subject. Many times tons of text is there but no visual references.

I want to change all that, and create a resource that helps enthusiasts learn about their trucks in an efficient and engaging way.

A comprehensive Buyers' Guide is phase 1. I will be aggregating information from multiple sources. Meticulous attention will be paid to readability and layout to communicate information in an uncluttered way. I will add and/or create photos, illustrations and diagrams as necessary to fully flesh out all details. I will credit and link to all original sources.

COMMUNITY FEEDBACK IS VITAL TO THE SUCCESS OF THIS PROJECT.

To start with some concrete considerations, I'd like to know:

1. What would make your life easier when using the FSM?
  2. Is there any type of content or information not contained in the FSM that you think should be included?
  3. Is there anything you wish you had read in a Buyers' Guide before you bought a Cruiser?
  4. Any other comments/suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance to an awesome Cruiser community, and I hope you join me in creating the 'SuperFSM'.

This would be a great project. The FSM that I have is just a collection of .PDF files that are hard to navigate through. I also have a Haynes manual but haven't use that in anger yet. Most of the projects I have completed have been with the help of YouTube videos made by Mud members.

i've thought about this.... about maybe having a wiki or somesuch that has all up to date information on how to fix certain issues... maybe with a voting system included so members could upvote or downvote certain solutions

it's hard to keep track of what the best way to tackle a problem is now that new products and methods have been devised...

The FSM is great but index/navigation is sketchy in pdf form. Maybe an index that can link to the manual? Awesome project.

Have you seen the FAQs by Romer on here?

You could integrate the EWD with the FSM.

I would say an FSM with clickable links would be AWESOME. I have the PDF manual and it is a pain in the ass to find stuff in. I bought the factory manual because it is just SO much easier to find what I'm looking for. Maybe a website that opens to a set of links that looks like the table of contents out of the FSM with a coulpe extra links added in for buyers guides, tools, etc. (just spit-balling here).

It would be nice to have a section that just shows torque values and fluid requirements and bulbs and s*** like that that needs to be referenced multiple times over and over. I find myself constantly looking for the same information because I can't remember the value and I can't remember where I found it. And all of this in an easy to access "App" version for mobile or tablets. That's not too much to ask right?????

This might turn out to be a very in depth project, however I would be willing to pay to subscribe to a baller FSM exactly like I have described :hillbilly: .

This will be a great project and contribution to the 80 community. My hat is off to you for undertaking this task. I'm envious of your skill set.

I'll second the idea about clickable links and maybe an index in the FSM. That alone would be awesome. I'm in the middle of an engine rebuild now and FSM constantly jumps up/down to various sections. I find myself losing track of what section I came from where to go next. I do a lot of retracing to make sure I didn't miss a step. Often I've seen an install/remove detail somewhere but finding it takes time.

I would say an FSM with clickable links would be AWESOME. I have the PDF manual and it is a pain in the ass to find stuff in. I bought the factory manual because it is just SO much easier to find what I'm looking for. Maybe a website that opens to a set of links that looks like the table of contents out of the FSM with a coulpe extra links added in for buyers guides, tools, etc. (just spit-balling here).

It would be nice to have a section that just shows torque values and fluid requirements and bulbs and s*** like that that needs to be referenced multiple times over and over. I find myself constantly looking for the same information because I can't remember the value and I can't remember where I found it. And all of this in an easy to access "App" version for mobile or tablets. That's not too much to ask right?????

This might turn out to be a very in depth project, however I would be willing to pay to subscribe to a baller FSM exactly like I have described :hillbilly: .

I started doing exactly this three years ago. I stopped doing exactly this ...three years ago.

What would be very helpful is to have a divided overall scope by vehicle type. IE FSMs that are categorized by what vehicle you have. It is frustrating trying to sift through information that is NA spec only for us HDJ81 guys. And I assume it's the same vice versa.

If it's possible and if you can collect enough information it would be terrific to see this:

1991-1992 NA / 1990-1992 ROW
1993-1994 NA / 1993-1994 ROW
1995-1997 NA / 1995-1997 ROW

Then you would have yourself an international resource for FSM information. I remember a while back I was trying to troubleshoot an FJ80 overseas but couldn't find any info since the thing was a 3F and 5 speed and the only online information was the North American version...

The FSM is great but index/navigation is sketchy in pdf form. Maybe an index that can link to the manual? Awesome project.

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with the FSM. Every bit of information you will ever need is in there. The problem is quickly finding your solution or the section you need. Especially on a smartphone.

Great undertaking, wish you luck as satisfying everyone will be impossible. I downloaded the FSM on computer (PDF) and can also open it as a book on tablet, makes it very easy to do word searches on tablet and to increase font size when the printed is too small. All I use is a ziplock to keep it clean from greasy hands and good to go.

Just last night, I skipped over the bottom of page EG-67 five times trying to find the minimum head bolt thickness and gave up and drank beer. :beer:

Having used literally hundreds of repair manuals and AllData and PDF/CD manuals I would say the part I most agree with thus far is separation of Models. If you could divide the current FSM between 3FE and pertinent info, 1FZ-FE and pertinent etc... Then make the Indecies and all subsection Indecies clickable.

If the FSM pages (or variant) were setup... depending on how it's all set up... with query-able key terms. Such as "Throttle Body" would return pages that mention the throttle body, whether it's directly related to it or other parts. Similar things could be done with trouble shooting keywords.

As an example - the downloaded PDF I have is random things someone scanned in, then placed in varying folders. If you want to look at locker information, it may be in interior wiring (switches), electrical (relays/motors), or axles.... all varying places/pages without cross referencing much. A simple keyword of "Locker" could pull up all pages referencing that could pull up in 1 place.

Also make it cross referencable - so if there are articles/pages regarding upgrades (like someone wanting to change out gears) it could reference varying types of gears, but also reference back to the applicable FSM pages.

I'll "+1" the EWD content because so many have the print FSM but not a EWD. I bought one awhile ago & it's gold to me - I wouldn't sell but have made scans for people before.

Seems like the EWD isn't scanned like the FSMs but I bet I'm wrong.

I've had indexed PDF EWDs for my 4runner for years. TOC/intro pages just like a hard copy, Searchable, organized, clickable links within the PDFs to other pages.. it was amazing. Some of the electronic EWD ive found for FZJ80 seem to have some of the same file structure but obviously something was lost in the indexing/organization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom