Fzj80 birf replacement issues, help appreciated! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone

I’ve been helping a friend repair a broken birfield on his 1994 land cruiser. I’m new to working on solid axle Toyotas coming from a ACVW background I’ve been learning a lot but this is my first time doing a birfield. I’ve gotten everything buttoned up but I went to put the outer c clip on and I could not get the groove visible enough to actually put the clip on. Tried threading in a M8x1.25 bolt and pulling with vice grips and could not get it to come out, also have tried moving the wheels left/right and driving the truck back and forth to see if it would walk out and had no luck. I’ve disassembled everything numerous times to make sure everything was seated correctly and was put together in the right order referencing various forum posts and YT videos and could not find any issues or reasons to why this issue is occurring. Currently wondering if the new birf is too short, Any help from someone more experienced would be so greatly appreciated, thanks!

IMG_7461.jpeg

IMG_7466.jpeg

Did you try threading a bolt into the end of the Birfield and pulling?

Looks like a late model drive flange on an early model axle.
That’s another situation I was considering. Would it be a case of a later axle being swapped into the truck by a previous owner? Also will a the earlier style drive flange bolt up the same or is there anything else needing to be swapped? Thanks!

That’s another situation I was considering. Would it be a case of a later axle being swapped into the truck by a previous owner? Also will a the earlier style drive flange bolt up the same or is there anything else needing to be swapped? Thanks!
The drive flange just bolts to the outer side of the hub assembly. If this is the issue, easy to unbolt to R&R with the correct. I'm vaguely recalling about some difference in stub axle lengths for early vs late axles, so that's another possibility.

Might look at the other side to determine if the drive flange is the same on it, however when changed the tendency is to do both at the same time, so would think both sides would have the problem you're having if that is the case.

The drive flange will bolt up the same way it’s just shallower on the early axles. The birfs are shorter on the 93-94.5. It could be that his 94 is a late build and has the longer birf.

@AustinKordell : search is your friend:

Already all said above; if the birf won't pull out any further using a bolt screwed into the end then just about the only cause would be that the birfield is the earlier style (shorter) and the drive flange is the later style (longer/thicker, which it looks like it is).

So the quick fix would be to install the early type shorter/thinner drive flange. It has less engagement of the splines compared to the later flange and may wear quicker but will work as long as both the Birf and flange splines are in good shape.

Or, pull it all apart and replace the shorter Birfield with the longer Birfield (which is designed to work with the thicker drive flange).

Ditto what others have said: post up a photo of the other side so we can compare flanges

Last edited:
Here's comparison photos of the drive flanges: (note, part numbers may have been superceded; photos to show the difference in thickness)

Early style (shorter/thinner):

Early style drive flange.jpg

Later style (longer/fatter):

Later style drive flange.jpg

This last photo compares the length of an earlier Birfield (shorter) compared to the later longer style (note: the OEM Birfields do not come with two grooves, that's a modification to allow the use of AISIN Free Wheel hubs)

Long and Short Birfled examples.JPG

Last edited:
Does anyone have a depth measurement of the two flanges handy? I'd like to pick up a couple of trail spares, but want to verify I'm getting the right ones. 43421-60022 comes up as fitting 91-94, but I'd like to verify before ordering. The PO had RCVs put on at Slee, so they may not be original drive flanges for my year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom