Builds My GCC Spec FZJ80 - Restoration and 1HD-FTE Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
At long last I can write this post.

This truck is what got me into cruisers. It was owned by a family friend that bought the truck brand new back in 96. I believe it was the most fully loaded 80 series money could buy in Saudi Arabia at the time. I used to drool over this truck when I was a kid growing up in the Middle East.

Around 8 years ago I asked if I could buy the truck when they retired and they agreed. And, sure enough, 8 years later that's exactly what happened! I can’t express in words how grateful i am to the family that sold it to me. :)

Alrighty, onto the truck!

Here are the details:

1996 FZJ80, H151F 5 speed, HF2AV, F/R Diff Locks, Factory Winch, Sub tank, Fridge Console, Rear A/C, Dual spare tires (6 rims total on the truck) and barn doors.

Here is the plan:

Import into Canada and do partial restoration into a long distance overland rig. I'll be running my FZJ100 for the next few years until I finish restoring and building this one.

IMG_4009.JPG

IMG_4006.JPG

IMG_4003.JPG

IMG_4005.JPG

IMG_4007.JPG

Last edited:
Got access to a hoist while I’m out here!

4713F66B-B75C-4D0E-A0D7-12AE84904723.jpeg

First order of business: removed damage multiplier.

5E6F9DC1-CF8E-4178-A41E-992D277456D8.jpeg

Second order of business: assess suspension and driveline.

D634D781-716B-4AF0-A350-F50E627DA59D.jpeg

Looks like a few items to tackle. All the suspension bushings are totally rotted out from the heat. These include radius arm, lateral bars, rear control arm and sway bar bushings. Also looks like the tie rod ends on the tie rod and drag link are on the way out as well. And a slight power steering leak from the PS pump. Lots of stuff to keep me busy when it gets to Canada! I don’t have much time here so unfortunately I can’t tackle all of them on my Christmas vacation. Knuckles look like they have moly in them but I’ll redo them once it lands as well.

The spare tire under the sub tank is really interesting, I didn’t know there was enough room for both!

2A543FA0-C8FC-41EC-8534-4705BDE122BE.jpeg

Also, the truck still has the original owners manual! Half in Arabic which is pretty neat.

4E3CB5FC-D7AD-4968-B9A7-0C0FEF8D8904.jpeg

It doesn’t have a PTO winch, very rare on an 80.

63770EA2-916C-4979-89C8-4C1FBE27E519.jpeg

This one had everything except the barns doors and well it is 1HDT powered. I really wanted to grab it but it just wasn’t in the cards.

Great truck you got! I like barn doors.

Cheers

Nice package.

The spare tire under the sub tank is really interesting, I didn’t know there was enough room for both!

"Room" is a subjective word here.
All Aussie spec 80's have sub-tanks, and spare underneath. If you do much more than mall crawling, there's not really room for a spare underneath. They hang down a long way, and will be the first thing to drag offroad.

Is the winch handle below the steering column a hand throttle?

That unicorn will be an amazing build. What a nice find.

Nice package.

"Room" is a subjective word here.
All Aussie spec 80's have sub-tanks, and spare underneath. If you do much more than mall crawling, there's not really room for a spare underneath. They hang down a long way, and will be the first thing to drag offroad.

Is the winch handle below the steering column a hand throttle?

Yup it’s the idle up throttle. I’m assuming to idle up for when the winch is used.

Real nice Nick, REAL nice

Back in the shop. Got some more assessments. Looks like the trunnion bearings on both knuckles have lots of play. Will do these when I’m in Canada and I can take my time. Brakes have loads of meat left and no vibrations. Phew!

While I’m here I just wanted to shore up some of the front end slop so that it can safely drive to and from shipping locations. I was able to get my hands on a new front lateral bar and drag link. Abu Mazin Toyota didn’t have the tie rod and I didn’t want to fight with pulling the ends off with limited time. So I’ll leave on there as is.

D9B460CC-CB95-4390-BECE-22047A60AA25.jpeg

Was working next to a 40 series restoration project. Holy crap that thing is mint. Cudos to whoever’s truck that is if you are on here!

42DFB34E-9923-4A03-9605-D9F74B793E19.jpeg

Pretty happy I replaced the lateral bar, has anyone seen these this bad?

081A1F9E-C4CF-452A-BC1D-B2F79F99BAE7.jpeg

E091C64E-7E81-4F18-ABD6-ABC3819874A7.jpeg

69C8CE1D-5601-4882-B93C-8BEB98E27FD1.jpeg

Front end slop is reduced significantly. Though the steering shock is toast and basically on there for show. Lots of work to do when it gets to North America.

Any idea how long the shipping process will take? There's a lot of miles for it to go. If all the bushings are shot you might want to consider a bushing press kit from Wit's End, should simplify the process somewhat

Any idea how long the shipping process will take? There's a lot of miles for it to go. If all the bushings are shot you might want to consider a bushing press kit from Wit's End, should simplify the process somewhat

Last time it took around 45 days to get from the port in Dammam to the port in Vancouver, around a week in customs then another week to forward to Calgary. Realistically I’ll send it via rail to Alberta and then drive it from the train station to my place which is around 30 minute drive.

I was thinking that actually! I may have to upgrade my press as those bushings will probably be in there super tight... I just bought the whole arms with pre-pressed bushings on the 100 (which was actually my only option)

Bless you @gnarlynick2072. Waited a long time to see this and what you have planned for it. Its definitely going to a good home!

If you're at the Aramco compound then be sure to hit up @jgeoffr as he's restoring that 40 most likely.

Following along.

Thanks! Been drooling over this 80 for years!

I am actually, I would love to meet that guy. His 40 is so cool.

I am feeling jealousy... yep thats what it is. Hurts really.

Figured I’d post before leaving the Kingdom.

Parked next to a Nissan Patrol for all you 4x4 lovers out there. They look like nice rigs!

71CF23DC-90FB-4305-9811-23E0BA6A8E1C.jpeg

Also, forgot to upload this gem. When wrenching on the 80 we discovered that the mechanic that was working on this thing broke a stud and decided to GLUE the lug nut back on for show. I’m sure that won’t be the only interesting nugget I’ll find.

C81BC3DB-CD2A-4191-9BB2-AE40CE7FFBB9.jpeg

Truck looks WAY better without the damage multiplier. So excited to dive into it when it’s in my garage.

0C0EE2C6-E825-45EA-9D1A-4A916D09B62C.jpeg

And another shot of the interior. Drivers side leather needs some attention but the passenger side looks brand new! I think the PO replaced it actually at some point.

97F9F1DE-4931-4924-A958-D168BB68B224.jpeg

And did a once over on the motor. Lots of little things to sort out. I’ll probably do the same in depth PM job I did on my FZJ100. One thing though looks like the oil seal on the distributor is leaking quite a bit.

Also, I’m trying to figure out if the rad has been replaced. Anyone know if T Rad radiators have date codes???

E08F4969-EB48-4E66-AED2-08366718FCFB.jpeg

Congrats on the find, is it part time or full time? Are you able to find salvage yards in KSA? I'm working in UAE and I am looking for a salvage yard maybe I can source a supercharger (highly unlikely haha)

Congrats on the find, is it part time or full time? Are you able to find salvage yards in KSA? I'm working in UAE and I am looking for a salvage yard maybe I can source a supercharger (highly unlikely haha)

It’s full time transfer case. I’ve been considering converting to part time as I really like the part time on my FZJ100 but we will see...

I know a guy in the UAE that told me about a really good salvage place.. I’ll have to look up the name

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom