Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like it cleaned quite nicely

I would try to pry a flat blade screwdriver and lift the washer gently and with the other hand slowly try to un-screw that bolt

:banana:

Pointing to the bolt who’s washer easily spun as I cleaned around it. Wtf? I’d tighten it but last thing I want to do it torque it too much and tweak out the others.

Looks like it cleaned quite nicely

I would try to pry a flat blade screwdriver and lift the washer gently and with the other hand slowly try to un-screw that bolt

:banana:
Did you mean, UNscrew?

You're gonna need to disassemble to tap your plug hole. Best to just get a wits end plug for now. Or if your gonna do the bypass surgery, you won't need a plug.
Some have tapped w/ it in place... no? Too chancy w/ the amount of shavings that occur w/ tapping?

Now the decision is ...do I top off the tcase and wait a week and see if all my fluid went to the transmission again. Or do you just wait til you get your bypass hose? Is your tcase making any dry bearing noises? grinding?

Jesus. I was really hoping to get a craigslist freebie tmrw after dropping off kid to his dad w/ the truck. Bummer. Looking like it won’t happen.
And I will not be pulling that plug until I have what I need on hand. It looks pretty fragile.

And I was gonna say, you all know how much I enjoy a challenge but rebuilding the tcase? What’s the saying about a curious cat?

Last edited:
Now the decision is ...do I top off the tcase and wait a week and see if all my fluid went to the transmission again. Or do you just wait til you get your bypass hose? Is your tcase making any dry bearing noises? grinding?
It was growling when I’d come to a stop. It would settle down after a few seconds but was pretty evident so I knew it was time to investigate.

If the bolt at top of trans is finger tight, just snug it up.

I assume you drained the trans, not the Xfer. If that is the extent of shavings, not bad, are they a slurry or like grit?
You don't know how dry the Xfer is until you pull the fillplug. Sounds like a mission is delayed, or
risk it?
Just saw the update, definitely add gear oil to Xfer.
A wine cork was mentioned (in one of those other threads) as a temp fix for the filler plug, remember oil only needs to come up to the bottom threads.

Tap it in place. Cover/slather the tap in grease it will catch almost all of the shavings. Remember the case is aluminum and the gears are steel. The steel will win every time, so a little bit of aluminum shavings won't really cause any problems. Theses are big dumb gear driven cases they are kinda hard to screw up.

Dyno

Thanks Dyno. That’s what I was hoping to hear. I tapped the head bolt holes and the oil galley so I remember now the shavings and grease issue. Just needed a reminder.
@micruz60 , the stuff on the plug was maybe a slurry grit? I was able to scratch it off w/ a flathead and paper towel.
And thanks for the wine cork reminder too @Jaric00n. I’ve got a few of those dense plastic type ones which I can cut down easily.

The stuff on the magnetic plug is all steel. Aluminium and bronze wont stick to the magnet.

No questions on the gear oil and how it looked. I watched it as I filled a jug from my catch basin... it def had a shiny sheen to it, relatively light tan/brown. Is there a certain look I should have been aware of?

Dark honey, light maple syrup :meh: normal gear oil.
Shiny chrome sheen would be wearing of bearings/synchronizers.
Like dyno said, these are tough gearboxes, new oil/flush regularly and keep running 'til 300K plus miles, or more.
Dark gearoil could be old,burnt. Foamy oilmilk could be water contaminated.

For cleaning under the breather caps on my axles I use this:

Pick.jpg

Insert the short pointed end up under the breather cap and spin the cap around keeping the pick in one place - gets all the gunk out from under the cap at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom