Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

if you have a chance to check your rear diff flange for up-down/side-side play with the driveshaft removed, you should take it. common for a loose pinion bearing to growl during decal...you can tighten it up to buy some time, but not too much or you just make the clock move faster... I totally understand robbing peter to pay paul; ketchup ain't just a condiment for so many of us...keep doing what you can.

I was gonna say...if you'r not sure where the sound is coming from check your fluid in your front and rear diff.
Yeah that was the primary reason my son and I headed out that day... to open the rear diff cover, clean, seal and refill. The fill plug is way rounded out so I was gonna use a chisel to put a notch in it so I could open it up afterward but then I got distracted by the wet carpet and of course the thought of the growling was nagging me too.
My high need girl.... she sucks me in all the time. There is not enough time in the day on top of being a mom and single head of a house.

Life is life, the bypass is a very inexpensive, acceptable, medium-to-long term fix. It's not a permanent solution, but it will absolutely keep you on the road for a long time

As an example of medium-to-long term fix The PO to my 60 installed it in 2008 (based on the receipt). So 10 years. It will be in there for another 3 at least.

As an example of medium-to-long term fix The PO to my 60 installed it in 2008 (based on the receipt). So 10 years. It will be in there for another 3 at least.
How often do you check the fluids? Curious if you’ve been able to get a good idea how well it transfers?

I just did a fluid change and it works as expected, keeps both at level. I was down in one but that was because of a leak I fixed.
10 years and the transfer case still works so that is something.
I was concerned when i bought it but then someone mentioned lots of people end running this.

Yes replacing the seal is the correct way, that is without a doubt. But sometime life get inthe way and 10000 other projects. So this works as a solid fix.

Hack job rust patches. Dry ice to the driver side bed liner. Came right up w/ a paint scraper. Cut out the edges of two holes and flap wheeled down some mini spots. Got up close and personal w/ my new tool. A Milwaukee angle grinder. Even took the handle off like someone said I might. My impatience got the best of me and I didn’t take as much time as I should have. Lesson learned. Underneath she ain’t pretty. Used self drilling screws through 24g steel.
A welder will be sooner in my future as this is crap work and I know I’ll need to be back in there sooner than later. Used Napa seam sealer along the edges of each patch.
Photos are all mixed up but you all can get the drift.

3B2E0F1D-0DDB-48FC-B7D9-3B7BB1053D71.jpeg

F3CBD7DC-A78C-4BE4-BAE2-7F2A361FB81B.jpeg

FC70E8EA-1302-4021-A32A-12AC2971A358.jpeg

C63E697D-5149-42F7-8D48-2C71DD6F9272.jpeg

98041783-2297-42BA-BB40-065BE912CA60.jpeg

Last edited:
Noticed a guy on Facebook who used a template and contoured metal to make a floor for his 40. I followed his work and eyeballed my own.
I’ve since gone under and trimmed all the ends of the screws I could reach w/ my dremel.

C2598052-F007-43B2-B053-BE12CE8C0F42.jpeg

C460C7B8-CBA9-45E5-B5F1-823639EC0586.jpeg

A0C4B43C-3AAC-4CC4-9EA0-C0244AE941A2.jpeg

Last edited:
Spent a day or so listening to a bunch of you tell me about replacing the sound and heat barriers.
Sound dampener/heat insulators
Have decided to go w/ a non stick option so I can peek under after time and check out my shoddy patches.
Bought foil bubble wrap from HD, will add Frost kind foam/foil stick duct heat insulator on to the wrap and top it w/ a 40oz layer or two of jute I bought from a place out west for $5.50/yd.

9E658932-166D-4148-A9CC-E528409C70DF.jpeg

Last edited:
And after trimming the screw ends I was cleaning off the last of the snow in the middle of the windshield and noted where it’s coming in and causing a river right through to the rocker.

B3696AE7-0650-49FE-ABD1-830BD7C65774.jpeg

7F0A9F8E-1A08-415E-B1A5-65E9C48B28EE.jpeg

44CB4952-58CD-4015-B1BF-4CBCAA7769AB.jpeg

I love how polite the you all are... a pin could be heard over the silence surrounding how ugly my patches are. :)

Haha... that’s awesome Felicity. I like the triage/trauma nurse approach to keeping your cruiser alive. Just patch it up and get it going. It might be ugly, but it’s functional. Two thumbs up from me!

Believe me my welds dont look much prettier when they aren't ground down. Like @CaptClose said, ugly but effective, that is what my tennis coach in HS used to say about my form and still took state championships 3yrs in a row.

Worked a few hours extra tonight but came home and started cutting the foil bubble wrap and layering the sticky foam to it. Lightly attached w/ painters tape and added a layer of the jute.
Looks pretty decent. The jute is hard core. Luckily my sewing scissors are pretty sharp. The stuff isn’t easy to cut at all.

DAE293B9-88B5-4AC0-9D9E-A1BE25073C97.jpeg

EC748AE2-139E-4DED-9F08-172955B87FE6.jpeg

a pin could be heard over the silence surrounding how ugly my patches are.
You were fearless, as usual, to post up those pics.
Yours look like works of art compared to the roof flashing pieces I screwed and siliconed into my 40 some years ago.
You do what you can and move forward. Nothing you do on these vehicles last forever, good or bad.

Still there, waiting for the "soon to happen" revision (which is a new tub). .............
And fenders, aprons, and bib.

In the meantime, I sure enjoy wheeling it.

And trying to remember if the rubber shift boots go in first or the carpet? Think the lower rubber boots, then carpet, then upper boots?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom