Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey, F. Looks like there are only 2 rivets holding on the gusset you're working so hard to frame around. Maybe drop the gusset, slide a piece of flat steel against the frame, welt it, and then weld the gusset back on.

Hey, F. Looks like there are only 2 rivets holding on the gusset you're working so hard to frame around. Maybe drop the gusset, slide a piece of flat steel against the frame, welt it, and then weld the gusset back on.
I like this idea too. Seems like a safer and cleaner route to take. Fewer places for water and debris to catch and rust as well... not that it REALLY matters in your case...

Though, upon closer look at those pics it doesn't seem like there's much left for welding the gusset back into place.

Happy Halloween Mudders!

I was just a bit older than him when Jurassic Park was in theatres. Oh, the dinosaur costumes I made back in the 90's! I have a quote from that movie tattooed on my wrist!

I like this idea too. Seems like a safer and cleaner route to take. Fewer places for water and debris to catch and rust as well... not that it REALLY matters in your case...

Though, upon closer look at those pics it doesn't seem like there's much left for welding the gusset back into place.
Yeah wish I’d checked in here. If I hadn’t cut the patch it would have given me a place to weld the gusset to. Piss. I do have a section of c channel Andrew gave me awhile back. Maybe I can figure something out w/ it in there.

List of supplies for lift install that I already have on hand...

• stock bottle jack
• floor jack
• 2 large jack stands and 2 smaller
• plumbers propane torch
• various lengths of pipe to put on the end of wrenches, ect
• WD40, 2 bottles
• bottle of ATF and acetone mix, syringe
• 18v impact wrench
• electric drill
• carbon steel knife for something or other @cps432 said I might need... to dig out crusty burned up bushings
• ratchet straps
• channel lockers
• various crow bars
• hose nearby, spigot turned on
• front and rear axle and suspension pages of the fsm

• anxiety
• excitement
• feigned confidence

Last edited:

• stock bottle jack
• floor jack
• plumbers propane torch
• WD40, 2 bottles
• bottle of ATF and acetone mix
• 18v impact wrench
• electric drill
• carbon steel knife for something or other @cps432 said I might need?

• anxiety
• excitement
• feigned confidence
I could not have done it without the bayonete. It's long and can reach deep and applies heavy cuts to the rubber that would otherwise be impossible.
You need beer too.

Check. 6 pk of yuengling left over from the summer in the fridge.

If you can get your hands on some of the jumbo sized channel lock pliers, they work great for twisting fixed end of the spring bolt once you have the two retaining bolts out. Once you get them twisting they will come out easier. I have also used a pickle fork under the ear once you have them out a bit, to push/pry them out.

@NeverGiveUpYota

Do you have any brass drifts? I swear by these things. I remember using them a lot on this job as well. They are not expensive and worth their weight in gold... Or brass that is...
I have a brass hammer and one medium sized drift. I can always get another.

I had zero luck with the brass punch. The rubber absorbed the impact, diverted it back into my brain, and drove me absolutely bonkers. I did use an F clamp and a large socket to make a press and I used a set of gear pullers to press the pin out. Since you have all new hardware don't hesitate to cut those damn things out with a grinder.

Since you have all new parts, my advice is cut and burn as quickly as you can. It can be a nightmare either way. I never needed it but have the garden hose or extinguisher on hand.

If you can get your hands on some of the jumbo sized channel lock pliers, they work great for twisting fixed end of the spring bolt once you have the two retaining bolts out. Once you get them twisting they will come out easier. I have also used a pickle fork under the ear once you have them out a bit, to push/pry them out.
What would be considered ‘jumbo’ sized? I have one that I’ve used for all sorts of chores. It opens to at least 3 inches and the handle is possibly 10 inches in length.

Ratchet straps are handy sometimes to pull things into place while you bolt back up. Didn't see that on yer list. Not absolutely necessary though.
I was actually going to add them just now. I do have some cheapy ones.

I had zero luck with the brass punch. The rubber absorbed the impact, diverted it back into my brain, and drove me absolutely bonkers. I did use an F clamp and a large socket to make a press and I used a set of gear pullers to press the pin out. Since you have all new hardware don't hesitate to cut those damn things out with a grinder.

Since you have all new parts, my advice is cut and burn as quickly as you can. It can be a nightmare either way. I never needed it but have the garden hose or extinguisher on hand.
F clamp?

• stock bottle jack
• floor jack
• plumbers propane torch
• WD40, 2 bottles
• bottle of ATF and acetone mix, syringe
• 18v impact wrench
• electric drill
• carbon steel knife for something or other @cps432 said I might need... to dig out crusty burned up bushings
• ratchet straps
• channel lockers
• various crow bars
• hose nearby, spigot turned on
• front and rear axle and suspension pages of the fsm

• anxiety
• excitement
• feigned confidence
You’re going to need a pickle fork or something like it for the steering dampener removal if you haven’t fought it off yourself recently...

You’re going to need a pickle fork or something like it for the steering dampener removal if you haven’t fought it off yourself recently...
I’m not replacing it. That’s the one piece I told Jason I didn’t need. Back when I did the knuckles, front brakes and TREs I added a new OME dampener.

What would be considered ‘jumbo’ sized? I have one that I’ve used for all sorts of chores. It opens to at least 3 inches and the handle is possibly 10 inches in length.
Those should work. The bigger the better though! These are about 17", useful for lots of things you wouldn't think of right away.
20181111_160719.jpg

I am just finishing up a suspension install on a Canadian 60 that lived a pretty hard life (very rusty).
Get a pack of new cut-off wheels for your grinder. I’ve had to cut every bolt and pin. Total PITA.

Have fun! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom