Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took a few days of trying various tricks including mixing ATF w/ acetone, some heat (not tons) until I finally got wise and put my pittman puller to work. Just like w/ a tie rod puller that initial crack sure as heck made me jump!

And to push the opposing cap out I had to go back and force it back through the yoke w/ a 19mm socket fit over the exposed end of the spider ‘arm.’

Rear ujoint was dry as a bone w/ significant wear on one arm. Photo of caps are the rears.
Front was at least greasy w/ less significant but wear on one as well.

95879C24-7F30-4C11-86F2-61AC6321158F.jpeg

977FC0E3-27E8-41D7-893F-AEEF66F1F0A0.jpeg

8223B1A6-DAFB-4DF1-BD92-CD683A051026.jpeg

E7BBA8E0-F8B8-498A-8279-311AD8ABDC86.jpeg

A7AC38D4-1A10-4134-863B-A8FBBCB4C3A7.jpeg

I have a new one that’s been around in a plastic bag since my first truck. Think my ex who’d bent my driveshaft mentioned in my #1 post here bought it. He musta only replaced one. Just for who has I tried sliding the cap into one yoke and it slide part way in easy. These I swear had become a single unit. Eastern NE salt, dirt, etc literally fused them together.

New Matsuba ujoints in the rear, thanks to my go to supplier, Cruiser Outfitter, @cruiseroutfit. Another skill learned. And my son helped turn the wrench to push them in w/ the puller. Wish I had a photo. In reverse no more squeaking and went for a run to the grocery store w/ kid last night and all felt a-okay. I marked the bolts and flanges w/ a white marking pen so I can peak under and make sure nothing is shifting loose.
No time to clean up the shaft and make it pretty... Nissan has something funky going on and I need to get it addressed.

Next full avail weekend will be Nov 17th to begin the wrestling match of Me versus New England road grimy/rusty FJ60 suspension. Thank you Jason, @TRAIL TAILOR!
(Rear shock package still in transit).

3334356C-C410-4390-96CA-718004ED35E6.jpeg

2AEA4186-C5DA-4C1F-9D09-865683710D28.jpeg

Get a blow torch and a few cut off wheels for the grinder... you'll need em. Also a heavy duty knife like a bayonet worked well for prying old rubber away from rusty steel.

Get a blow torch and a few cut off wheels for the grinder... you'll need em. Also a heavy duty knife like a bayonet worked well for prying old rubber away from rusty steel.
Blow torch same as a plumbers propane torch? Got the wheels and I’ve got an old carbon steel knife that might work.

Heating the bolt heads with propane torch will expand the metal making them easier to remove. Or just use a plasma cutter or oxy / acetylene torch and cut them off.

Also I’ll just add I drove the truck to and from work last night (10 miles one way) and new ujoints are riding smooth on the hw at 65mph.

Thanks! But I’ll also say that photo doesn’t exactly make me feel excited! More terrified!
I have a forklift at our work which is my familys business. It was a bit nerve racking lifting it off the ground, especially since my 4BT and NV4500 is all done.

X2 on the oxy/acetylene torch. I picked up a small one off craigslist for blowing out rivets on my deuce when I bobbed it, I've used it a ton since. Great tool to have.

This will be child's play compared to the challenges you have already overcome. You just have to be determined to prevail, which you have already proved. Good luck.

This will be child's play compared to the challenges you have already overcome. You just have to be determined to prevail, which you have already proved. Good luck.
Thank you! I’m anxious but looking forward to the chore. It’s gonna be huge. A person through Facebook offered to do it at his garage w/ a bunch of other guys... I declined. I want the challenge at my own home in my own space where I can be myself sweating and swearing and cracking a beer once I’m all done.

Thank you! I’m anxious but looking forward to the chore. It’s gonna be huge. A person through Facebook offered to do it at his garage w/ a bunch of other guys... I declined. I want the challenge at my own home in my own space where I can be myself sweating and swearing and cracking a beer once I’m all done.
Amen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom