Builds Won a '74 40 on a coin toss... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you pulled your horns and cleaned their ground paths to the radiator bracket? Could also run a grounded gator clip to the radiator bracket itself.

You’ve probably seen coolerman offers a relay. One would think your new relay is good to go. Never know though:meh::cheers:

Sounds like your connection between steering and relais is intact as the relais clicks when the button is pushed.
Sounds like you have enough ground for the relais but not enough for the horns.

The relais is a remote switch. This means you have two circuits, one switch between the relais and the steering wheel. The other is between horn and relais. When the relais clicks when the steering wheel butten is used, that circuit seems to work.

Okay done trying to figure this out in 2017. It will be a project for 2018 sometime.

I know it's (almost) Christmas and you're probably spending time with family and friends, not to mention sick of trouble shooting, but please don't make me wait to find out what the freaking problem is with your horns. Get out there and fix it, the suspense is KILLING ME! :rofl:

I know it's (almost) Christmas and you're probably spending time with family and friends, not to mention sick of trouble shooting, but please don't make me wait to find out what the freaking problem is with your horns. Get out there and fix it, the suspense is KILLING ME! :rofl:

Sorry far away from cruiser and won’t be trying to do anything on the horn until sometime in 2018. :flipoff2:

Another question - is replacing the manifold gasket as simple as removing a few items to gain access (carb, header), loosen bolts, remove old gasket, replace with new OEM gasket, and put everything back?

I’m desmogged so there isn’t much in the way.

Hey how difficult is it to swap gears to 3.73? I’m not a big time wheeler so it might make sense for me to swap it out to get better performance on the freeway... Anyone?
Diff gears i'm assuming...

in the rear, you'd have to pull the brakes first, then the rear diff cover, then the c clip holding the axles inside the diff, then pull the axles out the tubes, then pull the third member out and deliver to a differiential shop.

in the front, you'd have to pull the brakes, pull the steering arms and bottom caps, pull the hub selector, pull the spindle, pull the knuckle, then remove the axle/birfield set then you could then pull out the differential and deliver to a diff shop. I would take it to Gearman in Rancho Cordova, CA. He's a short drive from you but he's the best. I used to have him do all our king of the hammers car diffs.

Another question - is replacing the manifold gasket as simple as removing a few items to gain access (carb, header), loosen bolts, remove old gasket, replace with new OEM gasket, and put everything back?

I’m desmogged so there isn’t much in the way.
That's pretty much it... make sure you get one of the gaskets that @65swb45 sells and not the aluminum foil type. No experience with other gaskets as I've only installed the one Mark sells (haven't started or ran the engine yet though). Just read a bit about it.

Last edited:
Wow time flies! Almost the end of March and I haven't done squat on my cruiser except drive it several times between rain storms. I have a graduating senior in the house so lots of year end stuff going on including college tours and decisions.

Decided to try and troubleshoot the horn again - swapped out the relay plug and put all new connectors on. Ran independent ground lines from each horn. Opened up each horn to check condition. Cleaned up grounds. And still nothing. I tested the horns and they work when I ran a hot right from the battery. Both work even without the independent grounds. So it’s somewhere probably at the steering wheel? Maybe I did something when I took the wheel off. Will try and check that again at some point. Too irritated to do that now however... walk away... just... walk... away.

052B7959-5731-4EB0-BC88-CEB673623CC4.jpeg
DA5AD16A-FFEC-40BB-AFF2-6A91A2588E27.jpeg

Was going to take it for a spin and noticed what I thought was a rock wedged in the tread. Nope, a screw. All that tread and it finds a gap. Ugh. Thanks for rubbing salt into the wound. No problem I’ve got a tire repair kit. Well let’s just say that didn’t go well broke the handle on the tool after fighting it big time and had to drive and get another one. The new tool worked much better and patch went much more smoothly. Nothing can be easy. So really I accomplished nothing today despite spending hours on this stuff. Yay.

3010EA65-19C8-4B4D-A679-7A502E4EFD4F.jpeg

Wow time flies! Almost the end of March and I haven't done squat on my cruiser except drive it several times between rain storms. I have a graduating senior in the house so lots of year end stuff going on including college tours and decisions.

Decided to try and troubleshoot the horn again - swapped out the relay plug and put all new connectors on. Ran independent ground lines from each horn. Opened up each horn to check condition. Cleaned up grounds. And still nothing. I tested the horns and they work when I ran a hot right from the battery. Both work even without the independent grounds. So it’s somewhere probably at the steering wheel? Maybe I did something when I took the wheel off. Will try and check that again at some point. Too irritated to do that now however... walk away... just... walk... away.

View attachment 1663100 View attachment 1663102

Was going to take it for a spin and noticed what I thought was a rock wedged in the tread. Nope, a screw. All that tread and it finds a gap. Ugh. Thanks for rubbing salt into the wound. No problem I’ve got a tire repair kit. Well let’s just say that didn’t go well broke the handle on the tool after fighting it big time and had to drive and get another one. The new tool worked much better and patch went much more smoothly. Nothing can be easy. So really I accomplished nothing today despite spending hours on this stuff. Yay.

View attachment 1663105
I had the same problem with my horns. Could get them to work hooked straight to the battery but not hooked thru wiring harness. A few things I had to mess with to get them dialed in was.
Check that the steering wheel contacts are grounded through the rag joint. Also I had to adjust the center adjusting nut on horn just right. Another was run a separate ground to the horn which sounds like you did that already. Check and clean horn contact buttons at steering wheel. One more thing was I had to change out the contact from the steering wheel to the steering column, it was worn down to nothing. Just some ideas for you, hope it helps. Sorry for the road hazard in your tire. That sucks!

Barrett

I had the same problem with my horns. Could get them to work hooked straight to the battery but not hooked thru wiring harness. A few things I had to mess with to get them dialed in was.
Check that the steering wheel contacts are grounded through the rag joint. Also I had to adjust the center adjusting nut on horn just right. Another was run a separate ground to the horn which sounds like you did that already. Check and clean horn contact buttons at steering wheel. One more thing was I had to change out the contact from the steering wheel to the steering column, it was worn down to nothing. Just some ideas for you, hope it helps. Sorry for the road hazard in your tire. That sucks!

Barrett

@btbuild where did you source the steering wheel/column contact? Yours is a 73 - I think the steering wheel is different but figure I will check this out. Thanks!

Mike
I was actually able to source those parts from classic cruisers when I was out in Colorado.i bet if you called SOR they would have those parts also.

Barrett

Mike
I was actually able to source those parts from classic cruisers when I was out in Colorado.i bet if you called SOR they would have those parts also.

Barrett
I will take apart my wheel and go through it again. Thanks!

No progress on the horn situation just been driving it. I will conquer it at some point. 4th anniversary of my cruiser purchase is coming soon time for the annual oil change. Was planning on doing the transmission and transfer case oil as well but somehow they shipped the wrong oil. :(

In the meantime, I'm having a few stickers printed out to put on the back of the cruiser. 4"x3". If anyone is interested in one let me know.

upload_2018-4-22_0-25-43.png

Annual oil change: 40,358
Last change: 4/10/17 - 38,544

So not quite 2K miles in the year even with the Cross Country Expedtion legs through Yosemite and San Francisco.

Decided to try the hot rod oil like others are using on this forum. :)

6A4E4119-CCF9-4C03-B90B-63B75957EA26.jpeg
73B8E463-38B4-4932-80F3-6C39933621E1.jpeg

Well decided to give the horn another go. Took steering wheel off, cleaned up every ground/wire connection, cleaned up the contacts, tested for continuity from horn to relay (good!), voltage at relay (good!), things were looking good. Then pushed the horn buttons and... NOTHING. Not even a click from the relay now.

Yay. :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

probably sounds like a dumb question, but have you tried pressing closer to the inside of the steering wheel? I found depending on where I was pressing the little horn buttons it would not work, but I found if I pressed the points closer to the inner part of the steering wheel, it works. Not exactly sure where the contacts are, and how/where they touch, it's just a thought especially since you feel like you've checked everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom