Witt's end turbo - oil on the compressor inlet and trying to find the exhaust leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm in the process of solving two minor issues with the turbo and It's been running flawlessly.

I think I have excessive PCV going into the intake of the compressor, which is making its way down the gullet after coating the compressor fins. I'm able to clean the fins easily but this is concerning.

One of the pic shows my air/oil separator solution which does catch a fair amount of PCV oil. I'm wondering if I should NOT let the inlet of the compressor suck the vapor into itself and find another source of vacuum for the left side breather (on top of the valve cover)

Second issue is an exhaust leak that I've always had since the beginning. Since I'm doing a complete ECU harness swap, I took the York and the turbo out for more access to everthing. I DON'T think I have an exhaust leak at the T4 flange gasket but wanted your thoughts based on the pics. I'll put more pics on the second post.

1692722528730.png

1692722551175.png
1692722562153.png

1692722595500.png

Last edited:
More pics of the flange area. Both surfaces seem true using the ruler. I shined a light behind the ruler and saw nothing peak through. When I put it all back, should I use the same style of steel gasket or something different? Do they make thicker gaskets for this application? It goes w/o saying, both surfaces will be shiny clean before the gasket goes on.

1692722690449.png
1692722698873.png
1692722719440.png

Last edited:
I'm going to remove the J pipes from the manifold and do an analysis as I think that's where the exhaust leak is originating. Hoping to do this after work today.

I was bummed to see this though....

1692723780562.png

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: CJK
should I use the same style of steel gasket or something different? Do they make thicker gaskets for this application?

Thicker gaskets are available. Search for multiple layer or composite, you should find something that fits. Alternatively, sandwich a couple of your existing gaskets back to back?

I'm wondering if I should NOT let the inlet of the compressor suck the vapor into itself and find another source of vacuum for the left side breather (on top of the valve cover)

Left side of breather becomes only pathway for crankcase pressure whenever you’re making boost. You don’t need vacuum on it as much as you need a place with pressure lower than the crankcase.

air/oil separator solution

Spend the $200 and put in a real oil catch can. It’s my understanding that these air/oil separators (1) don’t work well ever and (2) only work decent where the air/oil they are separating does not require significant cooling surface area (I.e. the temps are low).

The air/oil/blow-by that is leaving the crankcase via this path is hot and will need significantly more volume of cooling media.

I can pull my intake tube later this week but I’ve been running dual catch cans for a while. Installed a few months after turbo when I noticed there was oil splats on the intake.

should I use the same style of steel gasket or something different? Do they make thicker gaskets for this application?

Thicker gaskets are available. Search for multiple layer or composite, you should find something that fits. Alternatively, sandwich a couple of your existing gaskets back to back?
Pls provide a link to a MLS gasket for this application as im coming up empty handed.

Left side of breather becomes only pathway for crankcase pressure whenever you’re making boost. You don’t need vacuum on it as much as you need a place with pressure lower than the crankcase.

Spend the $200 and put in a real oil catch can. It’s my understanding that these air/oil separators (1) don’t work well ever and (2) only work decent where the air/oil they are separating does not require significant cooling surface area (I.e. the temps are low).

The air/oil/blow-by that is leaving the crankcase via this path is hot and will need significantly more volume of cooling media.

I can pull my intake tube later this week but I’ve been running dual catch cans for a while. Installed a few months after turbo when I noticed there was oil splats on the intake.

I remember your awesome setup and is the vac piping the same as mine?

I remember your awesome setup and is the vac piping the same as mine?
Yup, same tubing. Throw oil catch can between crankcase and pre-compressor intake tube.

Extra points if you put another one between crankcase and intake manifold on PCV line

I got two steel gaskets from Amazon. Looks like the new one is 0.46mm vs 0.39 for the old one. Since these are steel gaskets, are we thinking the old one didn't squish much and 0.39mm is the actual thickness?

1693229607301.png
1693229621248.png

Reactions: CJK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom