Wits End Turbo — oil residue on compressor + vacuum leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CJK

SILVER Star
Threads
Since the Turbo Owners thread is locked, I am posting a new thread.

I opened the the hood today (pre-trip) discovered oil residue on the exterior bottom of the compressor housing.

I’ve had no issues for 2+ years (<10k miles) so I don’t imagine there’s an issue with the turbo bearings already.

Based on the photos, It’s not seeping down from the intake (catch can works well). It appears to be coming from the feed line and migrating down that way.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but figured I’d throw it out there.

I’m going to reseal the oil feed line and see if that solves it.

IMG_2994.jpeg

IMG_2995.jpeg

IMG_3002.jpeg

Check your air filter, If you have a restrictive air filter it will cause a vacuum on the cool side pulling oil past the clip/seal on the shaft.

Did you tighten the feed and drain fittings? Seems like the most obvious place to start....
Agreed — the feed line was tight to the fitting, but the fitting was not very tight. I cleaned the threads, reapplied thread sealant, and hand tightened. I’ll take a drive today and see if there’s anymore oil.

The kit came with Permatex Thread Sealant (High Temp) to seal the feed fitting threads, which is only rated to 400*.

I wonder if prolonged exposure from the hot side of turbo had a detrimental effect on it. I’ll take some temps of that area with IR.

Check your air filter, If you have a restrictive air filter it will cause a vacuum on the cool side pulling oil past the clip/seal on the shaft.

Good tip, my googling also indicated that a restriction in the oil drain line could cause those symptoms.

That’s a lot more work to get up into so I’m starting with the obvious and easy variables to check

Mine looks the same way. I have about 5,500 miles on mine but it started showing the oil stain pretty early on.

I assumed it was because I don't have a catch can setup yet, but now I'm thinking it's something else. Thanks for digging into it.

Last edited:
Mine looks the same way. I have about 5,500 miles on mine but it started showing the oil stain pretty early on.

I assumed it was because I don't have a catch can setup yet, but now I'm thinking it's something else. Thanks for digging into it.
I figured I wasn't the only one or would be the only one...although there aren't many of us with turbos :p

I actually just drained my catch cans yesterday after 2K miles. They still work excellently.
PCV-side catch can had ~3.5 oz fluid.
Intake-side catch can had ~1 oz fluid

The only thing I changed recently was to replace the PCV grommet with a press-in fitting from Radium. I can't imagine how that would have caused it.

I figured I wasn't the only one or would be the only one...although there aren't many of us with turbos :p

I actually just drained my catch cans yesterday after 2K miles. They still work excellently.
PCV-side catch can had ~3.5 oz fluid.
Intake-side catch can had ~1 oz fluid

The only thing I changed recently was to replace the PCV grommet with a press-in fitting from Radium. I can't imagine how that would have caused it.
Seems like it would be something that is consistent between both of our setups. I have an OEM PCV setup that's relatively new, and no catch can setup. My air filter is a clean OEM filter. As another data point, I do have some oil consumption likely due to bad valve stem seals.

Seems like it would be something that is consistent between both of our setups. I have an OEM PCV setup that's relatively new, and no catch can setup. My air filter is a clean OEM filter. As another data point, I do have some oil consumption likely due to bad valve stem seals.
likewise on OEM air filter and oil consumption. I'm at ~189K miles

I just added 0.5L after 2K miles to raise oil level to full on dipstick. (the low oil level indicator light is pretty handy :) )

likewise on OEM air filter and oil consumption. I'm at ~189K miles

I just added 0.5L after 2K miles to raise oil level to full on dipstick. (the low oil level indicator light is pretty handy :) )
Very similar - I'm at 186k miles and go through 0.5-1qt of oil per 1,000 miles. Seems like you're consumption is less than mine though.

Reactions: CJK
resealing the oil feed line seems to have worked for me.

With that said, in my researching, I came across Briano saying that his turbo was sweating a little oil so he tightened the bolts that hold the turbo together.

Bumping this thread to discuss another issue I just discovered.

I hear a hissing noise from under the hood, but no CEL. It varied with RPM, and started recently after a misfire on startup and subsequent shudder at idle to 1K RPM.

I figured it was a vacuum leak so I performed a smoke test today and discovered that:
1. The EGR Modulator is the cause of the leak (Pic #1)
2. I was getting a bit of smoke through the crankcase, so I'm glad to have those catch cans. Valve seals or Piston rings, either way it's a top-end :(
(Short Video)

EGR Modulator is not surprising to me. It seems original and we've changed the dynamics where the bottom hose instead of seeing vacuum from the intake manifold, now sees boost pressure, too.

I'm going to replace modulator but I'm wondering if any of the other 10-15 turbo'd 80s have seen this?

1693537621872.jpeg

Seems pretty normal to me that a 28 year old part would go bad. I would replace it and move on. I replaced mine when I did my head gasket in 2012 and have not had an issue with 11 years of being turbo'd.

Reactions: CJK
Seems pretty normal to me that a 28 year old part would go bad. I would replace it and move on. I replaced mine when I did my head gasket in 2012 and have not had an issue with 11 years of being turbo'd.
Thanks man, I figured as much but was curious if others had experiences that said otherwise.

I appreciate your responses as always.

curios what type of smoke tester you use? how many PSI were you testing at?

curios what type of smoke tester you use? how many PSI were you testing at?

AUTOOL EVAP Vacuum Automotive Smoke Machine Leak Detector Diagnostic Tester https://a.co/d/bKkXbU1

I didn’t seal the exhaust so I’m pretty sure the pressure was nonexistent. The lil smoke machine has a lil compressor

I did the same test a few weeks ago because I am only hitting about 4psi of boost and I also had smoke come out of the EGR modulator. I replaced it with a new oe part, but it still leaks.
Interesting. Sorry to hear that your replacement didn’t solve your problem, keep us updated as you troubleshoot yours.

My old EGR modulator failed the “blow into the bottom hole” test. The engine seems much smoother running and turbo builds boost pressure at lower RPM now.

Let’s see how long it lasts!

i had to do the smoke test on a 4.3 engine I picked up this from amazon it worked well Amazon product ASIN B07JVT1NG2,
I’ve used one of those in the past and it worked well.

The main feature I prefer on the unit I just picked up is that it has a built in compressor so no air hookup is needed. I only have a small compressor at home for nail guns and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom