Will the 80 be a classic? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

“No matter the trim, the FZJ80 is the Porsche 993 of the Land Cruiser world.”

Great quote from the Hagerty article listed above.

“No matter the trim, the FZJ80 is the Porsche 993 of the Land Cruiser world.”

Great quote from the Hagerty article listed above.

Sounded familiar from 2018 and 2019

"The 80 hits the sweet spot in the fullness of LC lineage. Last of the front live axle in the USA. Widebody fenders from factory. Still reliable, capable and comfy to boot for faithful daily duties. It really hits the sweet spot as I liken it to the 993 Porsche 911 as the last of the air cooled and arguably the most desirable pre water cooled."

+

Screenshot 2020-12-10 at 7.32.38 AM.png

Last edited:
A lot of folks seems to think the grand electric transition is imminent. 40 years ago, people thought we’d have flying cars in 2020. I wouldn’t be so quick to be worried about gas stations disappearing in the next 50 years.

Talking about liberal states, imagine the outcry from the extreme left about people who can’t afford new electric cars. Ppl are still driving cars worth less than $1k.

On topic though, I think the 80 will continue to appreciate for the next 5-10 years. It's appreciated so much in the last 2 years.

I'm excited about the Rivian vehicles, too, and how they fare on the trail.
Check out Long Way Up on Apple+. Ewan McGregor and another guy called Charlie riding electric Harleys up from the end of South America to LA. Rivian provided 2 prototype trucks as support. Lots of manufactured and real drama about charging out in the middle of nowhere. Seemed they did well enough on fire road-type trails but talk about range anxiety...no thanks.

Talking about liberal states, imagine the outcry from the extreme left about people who can’t afford new electric cars. Ppl are still driving cars worth less than $1k.
I hate to disagree with you, but liberals can cry all they want. Truth be told, it's those who control the levers of power that'll make all these decisions. In this case it'll be certain people, politicians, along with big corporations that stand to make BIG MONEY on these changes. So those who control the levers of power won't give a dam if poor people can afford an electric car or not, regardless of any liberal outcry.

I see a lot of potential electric infrastructure issues. For example in the city I live in, typically on one block of city street you have cars parked on both sides with pretty much no gaps. Where are these people going to charge a electric car? I don't even live in that congested of a city. You could convert all the gas stations to electric charging stations, but the gas stations are busy unless you go early in the morning or later in the evening. Since charging takes at least 15 minutes compared to 3 to 5 minutes of a fuel fill, that's going to add way more congestion. So theoretically you would need 4 times the amount of charging stations compared to gas stations. So my gripe with electric cars, is why why do they make them as they do? Why can't they make them like my rc rock crawler? When the battery goes dead, slide it out and throw in a new one. Takes 2 seconds except it's 1/10TH scale.
92332739058aa54f54430d1d093a4979.jpg

I hate to disagree with you, but liberals can cry all they want. Truth be told, it's those who control the levers of power that'll make all these decisions. In this case it'll be certain people, politicians, along with big corporations that stand to make BIG MONEY on these changes. So those who control the levers of power won't give a dam if poor people can afford an electric car or not, regardless of any liberal outcry.

It wasn't so much as an assertion to disagree with, but an observation/obstacle. With the current political climate, nothing is really surprising.

I see a lot of potential electric infrastructure issues. For example in the city I live in, typically on one block of city street you have cars parked on both sides with pretty much no gaps. Where are these people going to charge a electric car? I don't even live in that congested of a city. You could convert all the gas stations to electric charging stations, but the gas stations are busy unless you go early in the morning or later in the evening. Since charging takes at least 15 minutes compared to 3 to 5 minutes of a fuel fill, that's going to add way more congestion. So theoretically you would need 4 times the amount of charging stations compared to gas stations. So my gripe with electric cars, is why why do they make them as they do? Why can't they make them like my rc rock crawler? When the battery goes dead, slide it out and throw in a new one. Takes 2 seconds except it's 1/10TH scale.

EV charging stations take up a lot less space, and can be placed most anywhere, unlike gas pumps. Lots of parking lots around me already have one or two spots for charging. The idea is not replacing gas stations with tons of EV charging stations (though many gas stations already have several charging stations, and they take up a lot less space than the pumps), the idea is get charging stations in a bunch of parking lots so no matter where you go, you can probably charge. Going to work? Leave your car on the charger (you can already do this where I work). Going to the grocery store? Park in the corner with the chargers. Etc.

Then there is the much more interesting (and farther off) idea that your self driving electric car doesn't even need to park in front of your house. It could drive itself to a nearby parking garage, charge automatically, and then you could summon it a few minutes before you need it.

That is a sweet RC Cruiser!

EV charging stations take up a lot less space, and can be placed most anywhere, unlike gas pumps. Lots of parking lots around me already have one or two spots for charging. The idea is not replacing gas stations with tons of EV charging stations (though many gas stations already have several charging stations, and they take up a lot less space than the pumps), the idea is get charging stations in a bunch of parking lots so no matter where you go, you can probably charge. Going to work? Leave your car on the charger (you can already do this where I work). Going to the grocery store? Park in the corner with the chargers. Etc.

Then there is the much more interesting (and farther off) idea that your self driving electric car doesn't even need to park in front of your house. It could drive itself to a nearby parking garage, charge automatically, and then you could summon it a few minutes before you need it.

That is a sweet RC Cruiser!
I have heard of some people thinking of putting them anywhere and plugging in wherever you park. 2 concerns I have with that. 1st is who is going to fix the charging station when it breaks if it's in some random parking lot. 2nd, in the city where I live a charging unit on the side of the road or in a parking lot if not attended would get vandalized like crazy. It would not surprise me at all and pretty likely if people just ripped them out of the ground to get the copper. At minimum the cables would get cut for the wire. Even at my work random people daily walk through the parking lot looking for easy money despite video surveillance.

Someone, somewhere will start making electric motor engine swap kits at some point in time. Probably a drop in that mates to the existing transmission. Batteries will get lighter and easier to mold to fit anywhere you have space available. Not here yet (well, moldable batteries are here), but it'll come.

This already exists. There was an article about a company doing EV swaps in land cruisers in 4WD Toyota Owner magazine a year or so ago. Cost was about $20k then but will come down. At some point an EV swap will be in the range of an LS swap. I'd figure we have at least another 25-30 years with gas engines though. Hopefully by then we'll have figured out a better option than EV too because big giant batteries are just trading one form of pollution for another.

because big giant batteries are just trading one form of pollution for another.
Bingo, we have a winner, not only from the end product pollution view point of what to do with all those used batteries. But also from the environmental impact from mining, and processing the raw materials used to make those batteries.

That is true based on the current battery technology. The optimist's argument would be that with greater market share, more innovation would happen which would cut the carbon footprint down. Elon Musk's Battery Day seemed to be a good indication of where the technology could go. I think that's reasonable considering the efficiencies of a 1970 350 Chevy compared to even the first gen LS motor. And that wasn't when most of the world was really depending on innovation in Chevy engine technology, as they will be for battery technology.

But you're right. As of now, we have to drive battery powered cars for around a decade before they beat the efficiency of an ICE.

You just beat me to it, I was about to post the Hagerty article "2021 Bull Market List: 10 collectible cars...". when I saw yours. It was pretty cool to see the FZJ80 included in such a eclectic group of 10. I think my favorite quote from the article was, "The FZJ80 is the Porsche 993 of the Land Cruiser world." Admittedly I might be a little biased considering that my other car is a 1997 Porsche 993, but one thing is for certain, 1997 was a good year for cars.

Cool article from Hagerty, but seems most of those are already considered a classic and the there weren't any bold predictions.

Even though I don't predict full electrification in 20 years, I am a little surprised the List didn't include the first Hybrid sold in the US, the Honda Insight and very surprised with the biggest omission of the entire list, the original Tesla Roadster wasn't included!

John Shirley, I keep telling my wife it's a classic! I get compliments and offers to buy it quite often. I would love to have an air cooled 911.

So California will lead in the conversion to electric transportation. Trouble is that California does not have enough electricity to meet existing demand. What will happen when the demand is 10 times what it is now? Where will those magic electrons come from and what will transport them all? The existing grid cannot support the load and California seem hell bent on not producing power in their own back yard. Everyone seems to think that those magic electrons just jump off the wire as if they were a gift from the gods. Not quite. Some hard lessons in physics and engineering are going to be learned in the not too distant future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom