Will FJ60/62 Exterior Door Handles and Locks Work on an ‘85 4Runner? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone installed FJ60/62 exterior door handles and/or key locks on a 1st Gen 4Runner? The door handles looks similar between models, but not sure about the door locks. Granted, could be issues with the ignition, gas tank lid lock and rear tailgate lock to raise and lower the glass, but curious if LC locks would fit the front 1st gen doors.

Just curious if anyone has installed either of these Land Cruiser parts on a 1st Gen 4Runner.

Last edited:
I thought of that, but never tried it. I seem to recall looking up the part numbers and they were different. Try it.

I thought I had seen where someone had compared the 2 and the 60 series locks were longer, and so the spring clip wouldn't engage. There's tons of locks on doors all over the place (I've even got several) and OEM ignition lock cylinders are still available from Toyota. Just go that route and have them rekeyed? I know the old locks would be worn down some by now.

It would depend on the number of wafers in the lock cylinder. If you can compare two keys or get the key code off a cylinder of both types, you can decode it and determine the “length.” The code, at least on the trucks & runners are located on the passenger door cylinder only.

J60 key blanks are the same as mini truck.

I thought of that, but never tried it. I seem to recall looking up the part numbers and they were different. Try it.
Well good news, LC handles fit. I picked up an oem pair and did a quick test fit and they worked.

I’ll tackle the lock cylinders another day.

Well good news, LC handles fit. I picked up an oem pair and did a quick test fit and they worked.

I’ll tackle the lock cylinders another day.
That’s awesome! Post up pics of the future results 😎

That’s awesome! Post up pics of the future results 😎
My 4R is getting body work done at a friend’s house, but here are some quick photos! Oem handle is on the left of two photos. Last photo is with the LC handle in the truck, but it’s not bolted in.

IMG_2491.jpeg
IMG_2492.jpeg
IMG_2490.jpeg

This circled rubber trim piece on the oem handle is the biggest difference. The LC handle does not have it. I’m sure it could be transferred over, but it is glued in place. Not a big deal, but just a heads up.

IMG_2491.jpeg
IMG_2492.jpeg

Last edited:
So, is there a reason to do this? Are the J60 handles available and the mini ones aren't?

thank you RockSlide!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom