Why Would PO Cut The Rear Fenders? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’ve had this non-running truck for many years and finally started addressing some issues… the hacked up rear fenders is one of these issues that I am working on, why would anyone do this? I didn’t notice this until I pulled off the fender flares. Truck came 32x 11.50’s so it’s not that it had oversized tires when I got it.

IMG_5616.jpeg

IMG_5619.jpeg

Stock tires were no taller than 29" and fit inside wheel well. So 32X11.50 are taller and wider than stock. Stock wheels are too narrower for 11.50 wide Tires. Aftermarket wheel probably prevent 11.50" wide tires to clear the fender without a huge lift. In most cases you find cut wheel wells under aftermarket fender flares.

Stock tires were no taller than 29" and fit inside wheel well. So 32X11.50 are taller and wider than stock. Stock wheels are too narrower for 11.50 wide Tires. Aftermarket wheel probably prevent 11.50" wide tires to clear the fender without a huge lift. In most cases you find cut wheel wells under aftermarket fender flares.
Okay, but why leave the notches?

Cut the rust out?
The surface rust seen on the pictures is because the tub had already been sand blasted and epoxy primered but I left it out in the open uncovered. I am going to have the buddy re-blasted again.

Okay, but why leave the notches?
There is a fender support where that notch is (the upper one). The other are fender seam and a tub floor brace. Usually some type of fender flare is used to cover that edge and extend the fender out.

Same situation here. I really like the patina on it but I don’t know how I’m going to fix it right and still keep the patina. They were tight up to the inner fender. The screws went into the cab. The Humanity!

IMG_6911.jpeg

IMG_6912.jpeg

IMG_6909.jpeg

Same situation here as well. PO chopped the rear fenders for 32x11.50 Mud Kings and then installed crappy bushwacker flares to cover his terrible sheet metal cuts. Destroyed the bushwackers a few months after buying the 40 doing some hard wheeling then replaced them with SOR flares which have held up nicely for many years. Still think cut fenders are ugly though.

Yeah, that is a bit of a hack job.

Most of these hacked up tubs where probably done back in the 80s-90s when these things were dirt cheap and everyone was trying to stuff the biggest monster truck tire they could fit onto their rigs, stock suspension be damned!

I shamelessly did this on many an old square body chevy and countless mini rucks. I was young and dumb and just wanted to get my rig out on the road.

Ya never know what goes threw the mind of the PO. Besides working on my first car a 72 FJ40, I'm trying to make one good truck from an 83 and a 85 F150. After blowing out the engine bay and hosing it down I find an amp meter poorly scabbed into the wiring near the battery in the 85. Last plate was 2008 - hosing off the underside I see rock lights - who knew.

So is the consensus to just replace the quarter panels or is there another route? Real Steel has fender arch patch panels but I’ve never seen anyone use them on here.

So is the consensus to just replace the quarter panels or is there another route? Real Steel has fender arch patch panels but I’ve never seen anyone use them on here.

That red 40 you posted? Waste of time unless you are going to do the entire rear sill job. Probably best to just put an entire 1/4 on it.

Here is an example of the Reel Steel rear fender well patch panels installed. Builds - Won a '74 40 on a coin toss... - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/won-a-74-40-on-a-coin-toss.804579/page-6. I'm considering doing the same to eliminate our plastic flares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom