Builds Freeborn In The USA Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I had a guy call me the other day with this FJ40. He bought a handful of cars and it was one of them. I wasn’t interested but I told him I would help him sell it. He called me back a month later and made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. My almost 14yr old and I have started looking for some sort of truck for him to eventually drive. He’s a can-do type of kid so we’ve been looking for something for him to fix up. As you can guess we decided to keep it. So here we are Landcruiser #2. We call it Freeborn in the USA. Now the F Bomb has a little twin. Its build date is July 1977. Here’s what it looked like when we brought it home.

IMG_6905.jpeg

70811274426__DD7BD23C-357C-45E2-B0BD-FC1ACDDBDCAE.jpeg

It has a few non original things. It’s been repainted at some point in a not quite original color. Close. It has some sort of plate welded to the front. Ugly torch cuts. Those fog lights. The bezel and the frosting on the cake…sweet aluminum panels. It looks like they wer installed over the rust but they certainly didn’t help it out. Some sweet upholstery with matching headliner and sun visors. The crew made short work of the aluminum.

IMG_6895.jpeg

IMG_6896.jpeg

IMG_6897.jpeg

IMG_6898.jpeg

IMG_6904.jpeg

It has a jiffylube service sticker under the hook from 1994. It had all the gearboxes done. It’s marked 65k miles. So about 7k miles since 1994. Not sure how you qualify as a barn find. So it has typical rust that I’m sure we’ll get around to. We started prepping it to try and start. I don’t think it’ll take much. Updates to come.

IMG_6910.jpeg

IMG_6909.jpeg

IMG_6908.jpeg

IMG_6907.jpeg

IMG_6900.jpeg

So I’m not sure if those fender flares are factory or not. We were just going to remove them but this is what they looked like underneath. Is this what they looked like under the OE flares? Any ideas?

IMG_6912.jpeg

IMG_6911.jpeg

Doesn't look like anything that can't be fixed. Enjoy the time spent together with it.

So I’m not sure if those fender flares are factory or not. We were just going to remove them but this is what they looked like underneath. Is this what they looked like under the OE flares? Any ideas?

Not sure any factory fender flares were ever sold outside the JDM. Plus those were later than 77. There were actually parts of the tub and metal like the rest of the tub.

Removed the bezel for paint. Not sure if the Toyota badge on the top is stock in some country? Serious holes punched and interesting hardware. I think it’s ugly but it looks like they did a good job.

IMG_6919.jpeg

IMG_6918.jpeg

Are those snaps on the bezel? Like to snap a cover over the radiator in the cold?
They are snaps. I suspect to use some sort of cover like you’re saying. I didn’t see a cover anywhere.

That’s not original placement, the hardware is taken from the same badge, but it should be mounted on the grill.
Do you think the hardware is still available anywhere? It wasn’t in great shape. They did a really nice job of putting the badge on there but it’ll look so much better when we move it inside.

Do you think the hardware is still available anywhere? It wasn’t in great shape. They did a really nice job of putting the badge on there but it’ll look so much better when we move it inside.

I'm sure you can track it down somewhere, but the retainer is no longer available from Toyota.

Badge part # 75321-90300.
Retainer part # 75312-60020. (NLA)
Nut part # 90179-04004.

First project for the boy. Pulled off all the wheels. Busted the tires. Cleaned the crap out of the wheels. Primed and painted the wheels gray. Installed some tires we had laying around. Discovered the spare on our truck was most likely an original tire as the date was from 1977. Then the boy stole one of my hubcaps to see how cool it looked. Inspiration. Starting our little FJ40 family. Also removed the top and bezel and took for paint.

IMG_6927.jpeg

IMG_6940.jpeg

IMG_6941.jpeg

IMG_6942.jpeg

IMG_6943.jpeg

Started in on the buffer today. Started by pushing it outside and cleaning it again. He washed it last time before removing all the aluminum stuff. Used this compound and a green medium foam pad from Harbor Freight. Incredible results I think. I’m anxious to see it after the wax. He was focused on the hood and front fenders then lost interest after that. Short attention span. I think he takes after his mom…please don’t tell her I said that.

IMG_6955.jpeg

IMG_6951.jpeg

IMG_6958.jpeg

IMG_6959.jpeg

Really shines. Can’t wait to see it out in the sun. Bummed to see the paint wasn’t faded Freeborn it’s justice been repainted a different color. You can see the difference in one of the pics. The VIN tag says Freeborn so we’re not changing the name of the thread.

IMG_6960.jpeg

IMG_6953.jpeg

IMG_6954.jpeg

IMG_6962.jpeg

IMG_6961.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom