Who's working on a 1GZ-FE Swap?!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Flank

American by Birth, Texan by the grace of God.
Threads
Website
www.staltimber.com
So, I'm sure this engine is unobtainium in the US - But what could we do with this? Would it Fit?

The 1GZ-FE is Toyota's 4,996 cc (5.0 L) 48-valve DOHC V12 engine with variable valve timing (VVT-i). Bore is 81 mm and stroke is 80.8 mm, with a compression ratio of 10.5:1. Official output as per Japanese Manufacturers' Agreement is 206 kW (276 hp) at 5,200 rpm although true power output is estimated to be around 230 kW (308 hp) . Peak torque of 481 N⋅m (355 lbf⋅ft) is at 4,000 rpm with over 400 N⋅m (295 lbf⋅ft) available from as little as 1200 rpm.

Installed in Toyota Century and kept de-tuned to not be too powerful.

Not adding much value here but since a straight 6 fits, I would imagine a double-straight 6 would fit as well. It sounds great for sure. Looks like you can grab imported used ones for about $3,000 on eBay.

I'm never sure what actually initiates an engine swap project. Having an extremely health budget is key then I imagine price and kit/ease of fitment are critical but for the swaps I've seen on here for the average Joe it seems to be "I have an LS I came across" or "I want the grunt of a Cummins" and thus begins the swap planning. I love the 100-series V8 2UZ-FE swap someone did on here keeping all Toyota parts in there, that was very nice and extremely serviceable. I would imagine a lot of one-off fabrication to cram the 2UZ-FE in an 80 and a healthy stack of cash given the typical $7K DIY to $35K prices for an LSx swap.

I did find this funny...very reasonable...
1593709287362.png

Last edited:
Importing loose engines and front clips from Japan is big business. I bet you could get your hands on one without too much trouble. Wikipedia says earlier versions came with a 4-speed auto. I wonder which transmission they put behind it? Maybe lucky and it'll bolt up to a A343F. Somebody do it!

:edit: and if it fits in a '79 corona, you can bet your ass it would fit in an 80 with ease.

:edit: :edit: judging by layout, displacement and "each 6 cylinder bank can run independently in the event of a failure" I bet they just glued two 1JZ's together at the crank and dropped the turbos. :hillbilly:

Last edited:
It hasn't been done in an 80 Series, that I'm aware of, but The Skid Factory worked on a 40 series with that engine. It was turbocharged too, from what I remember.

Trans is a variant of the a342e, the engine also has a front oil sump setup which is really unfortunate because I don't think it would clear the steering bits. But If you are going as far as swapping a 1gz in to the 80 I don't think you'll have a huge challenge recreating a rear sump setup.

Check out quickshift.tv on youtube, they are putting a 1GZ-FE in a MkIV Supra building billet pan and changing sump location with the intent of selling the parts eventually. There in Australia, of course they are. :)

Last edited:
Seems it would fit. Saw one here at Cars in coffee shoved in an IS250. :smokin:

This is exactly what they did. Separate ECU, separate ignition, etc. You can lose one bank and keep going. It is to prevent leaving a VIP stranded in the case of a failure.

Importing loose engines and front clips from Japan is big business. I bet you could get your hands on one without too much trouble. Wikipedia says earlier versions came with a 4-speed auto. I wonder which transmission they put behind it? Maybe lucky and it'll bolt up to a A343F. Somebody do it!

:edit: and if it fits in a '79 corona, you can bet your ass it would fit in an 80 with ease.

:edit: :edit: judging by layout, displacement and "each 6 cylinder bank can run independently in the event of a failure" I bet they just glued two 1JZ's together at the crank and dropped the turbos. :hillbilly:

A friend of mine is swapping the v12 from the Toyota limo, or what the Japanese Yakuza use as a limo into his early 80 series.

Definitely fits. Bellhousing bolts directly to A343F. Had to relieve the firewall a little bit & chop the air handler.

Expect a real build thread in about a year when I have something significant to show. Going to cook up some real weird stuff.

1GZ.png

Last edited:
There’s a thread on here with one going into a 100series if I recall.

Jus
Definitely fits. Bellhousing bolts directly to A343F. Had to relieve the firewall a little bit & chop the air handler.

Expect a real build thread in about a year when I have something significant to show. Going to cook up some real weird stuff.
o_O Just..... Damn. When I started this thread, it was kinda a joke... can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom