Who here runs deep gearing...4.88's+ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guy i'm in the market to buy some new gears for an SOA i am about to complete. It's going to be a DD for about four months untill i can get my 62 up and running and my commute is about 3 miles at 35mph. I am thinking about running 5.29 with an arb in the rear and something similar in the front:steer:. Do any of yall run this low? What can i expect on and off road?

:cheers:Slowtoy

Wow.......5.29's..???
I run 4:56, and I think I'm low.....I think 4:88's would be where you want to be. Unless your running 44's or some other huge tire.
Curious to see what other say.....

I bought 4.88's to run with my 35's because that was close to stock gearing. I have not installed yet so I cannot comment from experience just yet.

I run 4.88s with 37" tires. Kinda high RPMs on highway, but at 35mph your fine. I am going to get a h55 to solve that problem. Mine is a DD

I am running 35" tires right now and moving to 37" soon, what would be the benefit of running 4.88+ gearing?

Had 4:88's installed before going to Arkansas for the "Cruiser Crawl".
I could really feel a difference on trails. The interstate is a different story truck is screaming for a h55. 3K rpm 60-65 mgh puts gas milage in the toilet.

on my 60 with the 4.56's and 35 it was liek stock gearing and spedo was dead on on the freeway (checked with GPS) now im on 33's and rpms are a little higher on the freeway but not to bad but in all honesty offroad i wish i had more gear and wished i woulda done 4.88's

but since i plan on running 37"+ tires now im gonna run 5.29's, actually id liek to run the 5.29's with the 33's just to see how it crawls i know the freeway ill be way slow and rpm's high but this truck doesnt see the road much so im not worried, and with the 37"+ it will bring gearing back into par wich will probally force me into a toybox or something cause you can never go to slow.

I ran 4:88's with 36's and just switched to 37's but I also have 383 V8 with 700R4 automatic with overdrive. 75 MPH and the RPM's are about 2500. Also installed an NP203 doubler so low end gears are not a problem. Sometimes the brakes won't hold it in double low and 4X4. No problems with the brakes on the road.

Im running stock motor for the most part, sounds like i might be forced into a toybox if i decide to go deep, like you said Cruisin, i just am a firm believer in slow, slow, slow. I think i might run the 4.88's for a few months untill i can dedicate the rig solely to the trails. Except gears are expensive.

I think you will find 5.29's to be very low for DD. I run 4.56 and 35 and its good. I have a toybox or I would have gone to 4.88. The other part of the equation is the arb and the 5.29. I had to grind off the gears to get the pin to fit with 4.56. I understand you have to grind a lot to get 4.88 and 5.29 will be a big job.

I did not have to grind too much off to get my ARB in with the 4.88's. Only time will tell if it actually becomes a problem.

Time will def. have to tell...is there a better option for running 5.29's with another locker brand like Detroit or Aussie? Or will it still interfere aka grind'n to fit the locker in?

4.88's with 35's and H55F is what I have been running and am very happy with it. I crawl just fine on most trails and the highway is not too bad.

4.88's with 35's and H55F is what I have been running and am very happy with it. I crawl just fine on most trails and the highway is not too bad.

Dirt - ooh... just what i want to do...

I re-read your ROTW (sweet truck and love that vid). Stock 2f right? 4.88's and 35's? 4" OME w/ SR - anything else to clear the 35's?

And what's "not too bad" on freeway with h55f? What RPM's @ xx MPH?

Thx!

I am running 4:88s with BFG 33s, a 12h-t diesel A440 transmission (redone by Extreme Transmissions in Australia).

I am happy with the combo. The speedo comes out within a few MPH to dead-on (reads about 3mph fast at 65MPH according to my GPS). I cruise the highway at 2500 RPM which equals about 65-68 MPH, and am able to do that for 6-12hrs straight across California and Nevada. I do use a tranny cooler which I would recommend for any auto trans on these that wants to do sustained highway speeds especially in the desert.

Check randys ring and pinion calculator. I have 35's and 5:29's in my 62 and it is nearly identical to stock, maybe 5% deeper, but that is a good thing with added rolling resistance. Great off road and great on the hiway. For a fj60, 4:88's and 35's would be fine. Now I am swapping to a H55 5 speed and it will be too deep for 35's, I will be forced to go to 37's:crybaby:

Time will def. have to tell...is there a better option for running 5.29's with another locker brand like Detroit or Aussie? Or will it still interfere aka grind'n to fit the locker in?

still gotta grind a little but its not major

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom