4.88 gears with 5.3 and 4L60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mud,

Anyone running this combo, and how do you like it vs 4.11 gears (assuming it's a 62)

cheers,

Joel

what tire? probably too low for anything smaller then 37" MO

We've done this a couple times with 34.3-35" tires and at 80 MPH you are at the high end of the OD RPM range (2700-2900) and fuel consumption is dwindling.

Like @cruisermatt said.. 37s are the better fit for the 4.88s (so fun to drive in town though)

4.11s are the better choice for fuel economy and highway.

**(Personally if I were using it as a DD in town/ trail rig and an occasional highway tripper I'd do the 4.88s otherwise 4.11s.) **

what tire? probably too low for anything smaller then 37" MO
It would be a 35 inch tire…

The problem with that set up is the trail speed in low range, using a stock split case, really not slow enough.

What’s the solve here?

It would be a 35 inch tire…

The problem with that set up is the trail speed in low range, using a stock split case, really not slow enough.

What’s the solve here?

Transfer case gears.

Is it a gen 3 motor? If it is, you can install a switch to send ground to pin 16 on the C2(green) connector of the pcm and it will help a little bit with shifting in low range. Ive noticed without it and my 3.73 gears it doesnt want to shift down into first gear off road.

The upside of running 4.88s on 35s with a LS, youll feel like your truck has way more beans off of a red light, youll definitely suffer at highway speeds though. im on 34s and i feel like the 4.10 is the sweet spot if you do a lot of highway driving tbh

@BurntToast looks like they do have 4.56

Is it a gen 3 motor? If it is, you can install a switch to send ground to pin 16 on the C2(green) connector of the pcm and it will help a little bit with shifting in low range. Ive noticed without it and my 3.73 gears it doesnt want to shift down into first gear off road.

The upside of running 4.88s on 35s with a LS, youll feel like your truck has way more beans off of a red light, youll definitely suffer at highway speeds though. im on 34s and i feel like the 4.10 is the sweet spot if you do a lot of highway driving tbh

@BurntToast looks like they do have 4.56

Its a 2003 5.3

4.11s, "35" inch tires will give you decent highway rpm and fuel mileage. Not the hottest rod around town, but it is a 4wd station wagon after all.

3:1 lowrange in the TC and you will be happy off road. if you need lower gearing, you are probably asking the rig to do stuff where a station wagon is not the ideal starting platfrom in the first place.

Mark...

4.11s, "35" inch tires will give you decent highway rpm and fuel mileage. Not the hottest rod around town, but it is a 4wd station wagon after all.

3:1 lowrange in the TC and you will be happy off road. if you need lower gearing, you are probably asking the rig to do stuff where a station wagon is not the ideal starting platfrom in the first place.

Mark...
100% agree, not into “rock crawling” but I do appreciate control and engine braking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom