Steering gear box seal kits (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For an early (80 - 84) square pattern steering box, has anyone had luck purchasing an after market reseal or rebuild kit where all the parts fit?

I bought an FVP brand 8748 kit for my 83 60. Most parts fit except at lower end of pitman shaft dust seal, O ring and white (teflon?) seal all were for a 42mm bore and would not fit my 40mm bore.
Before I order another kit, hopefully I can find out if it was just a one time packaging error, or if it’s a common problem with these cheaper kits. Maybe someone has had good luck with another brand like Edelmann or Gates.

I know I will be told you get what you pay for, but if I have to pay $200 for a reseal kit, I’ll opt to send it off to a rebuilder instead.

It seems like with the 84 - 90’s you have way more kit choices, they are cheaper and all the parts in the kits fit.

Just to make sure i didn’t have some oddball early production unit, I measured the bore on another steering box and it was 40mm too.

fj60 box em 20240325_221719.jpg

I’m about to tear into that project this week on my 82 60. I got a spare box from an 81, so I’m working with the early stuff. Rock Auto had a Gates rebuild kit that I ordered. I was told the Teflon seal in that kit might be the wrong size or might get damaged on install, so I ordered a couple extra from my local dealership. Gonna go ahead and follow along on this thread.

Have you looked into swapping to the 80 box? I believe you’d have to make a scab plate to adapt the bolt pattern.

I have my box out of my 84 right now (square pattern) and the gates 349480 kit I ordered was incomplete, missing some rubber seals that I needed. I ended up ordering a OEM kit to hopefully get all the seals needed.
You got a part number for that kit? I didn't think it was available but I'm looking at the parts diagram now. A few variations and I'm not sure which is which.

Edit: the two part numbers I'm coming up with are:

0445560011 - GASKET KIT, POWER STEERING CROSS SHAFT OVERHOLE

0444560020 - GASKET KIT, POWER STEERING GEAR (FOR RECIRCULATING BALL)

Last edited:
You got a part number for that kit? I didn't think it was available but I'm looking at the parts diagram now. A few variations and I'm not sure which is which.

Edit: the two part numbers I'm coming up with are:

0445560011 - GASKET KIT, POWER STEERING CROSS SHAFT OVERHOLE

0444560020 - GASKET KIT, POWER STEERING GEAR (FOR RECIRCULATING BALL)

I ordered 04445-60020

That’s what partsouq had listed for the 84 year at least.

Last edited:
I ordered 04445-60020

That’s what partsouq had listed for the 84 year at least.
And that was everything you needed? The two different part numbers look like they're seal kits for different parts of the box - upper and lower.

04445 is the master re-seal kit. It includes everything in the other seal kit.
Thanks Onur, I appreciate you parsing that out. I was starting to assume that, since the parts diagram shows two nested boxes with 04445 being the outer box, but I like clarity.

And that was everything you needed? The two different part numbers look like they're seal kits for different parts of the box - upper and lower.
Glad Onur clarified. I haven’t received my kit yet but assumed it would include everything from looking at the diagrams.

I think Ill quit messing around and get the 04445-60020 kit. All the parts will be correct. Less hassles.

FYI: My local dealer has 04445-60020 as DISCONTINUED on their screen. Maybe @OGBeno or @cruiseroutfit can confirm.

Still some in stock from Japanese distributors and likely some US vendors but prices are jumping up from when I ordered a couple of them last week which isn't a good sign.

FYI: My local dealer has 04445-60020 as DISCONTINUED on their screen. Maybe @OGBeno or @cruiseroutfit can confirm.

Still some in stock from Japanese distributors and likely some US vendors but prices are jumping up from when I ordered a couple of them last week which isn't a good sign.
This is what my dealer told me too. I got one inbound from Amayama. Ordered two days ago and got a tracking number this morning. About $90 shipped, so kind of pricey.

I plan on comparing the parts to my Gates kit to see what’s missing and see if that can be filled in with individual seals from Toyota if they’re available.

This is what my dealer told me too. I got one inbound from Amayama. Ordered two days ago and got a tracking number this morning. About $90 shipped, so kind of pricey.

I plan on comparing the parts to my Gates kit to see what’s missing and see if that can be filled in with individual seals from Toyota if they’re available.
Just did the same from Amayama, $87

Glad I got some on the way from overseas. Got 3x ordered.
Amayama's shipping ETA was early April when I bought it a few days ago. Now it says late May-June. This is all your fault @Hokie LX .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom