White smoke 1HZ - solved (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool

I've always been a bit sceptical of injector cleaners etc. I reckon they are largely snake oil. I've used them here and they and never been convinced they did anything. But sounds like it helped you

I completely agree, there’s a ton of snake oil out there. We used Hot Shots Diesel Extreme, which is what was recommended. It definitely seems to have worked. Reviews online indicate the same 🤷

Well, TL;DR version is - the problem is fixed, thanks to @gnarlynick2072 and his friend. Thank you, guys!

Together @JDM Journeys and @gnarlynick2072 we were already seeing the end of this 1HZ... what could it be? It must be a catastrophic failure...

All the while, Nick's calm and controlled friend simply diagnosed a misfiring injector and suggested we start by buying diesel injector cleaner and running it through, first 50/50 from a jar, and then about half the container into the fuel tank. And a smart decision this was, since it fixed all the problems. We went for a nice drive afterwards and there was no smoke, no stumble, no hesitation. Can I say - problem solved?

View attachment 3508801

@veiloctane saved the day

what was amazing was when running the injector cleaner out of a mason jar within a few min you could hear the tone change and the engine idled smoothly!!! then no more smoke!!!

I suspect some bad or old diesel and probably contaminants in the lines perhaps sticky injectors? always try the simplest fix first.

@janyyc it was a pleasure to help out visit and hang out. you have nice cruisers!!!!

Nice easy fix! My go to for any smoke abnormalities has been Diesel Purge made by Liqui Moly. I'll usually run it un mixed directly though the fuel filter for maximum effectiveness.
Do you normally run a diesel additive when you fuel up?

I've used LiquiMoly Diesel Purge on quite a few older diesels, probably around half a dozen. When the engine runs on straight diesel purge from a separate container it is shocking to see the color of the liquid in the return line. Some of the engines I've used it on didn't seem to run any differently afterward, others the difference was marked: better cold starts, less smoke, quieter running and smoother revving. It was most noticeable on the two Mercedes OM617 engines I've had, one of which had sat with diesel in the fuel system for at least 10 years without running.

While the 1HZ on this truck isn't "older", it did sit for 13 years with whatever was in it (not much, but still). Mind you, since then I have driven it >16000 km but one never knows. Or, it could have simply been a bad batch of diesel. Super happy it was resolved, though.

I've used LiquiMoly Diesel Purge on quite a few older diesels, probably around half a dozen. When the engine runs on straight diesel purge from a separate container it is shocking to see the color of the liquid in the return line. Some of the engines I've used it on didn't seem to run any differently afterward, others the difference was marked: better cold starts, less smoke, quieter running and smoother revving. It was most noticeable on the two Mercedes OM617 engines I've had, one of which had sat with diesel in the fuel system for at least 10 years without running.
Liquid molly I’ve heard a lot of good things from the veggie oil Mercedes guys. But it ain’t available where I am and hotshots diesel extreme is.

I’ve also used PS power service diesel injector cleaner but it would take alot more to do what hotshots. Last time I used PS power service I used the large Jug I think it was 1gallon available at truck stops.

If your in canada and looking for a good price on hotshots diesel extreme You can get a 1 gallon jug at your local flying J if your in (Calgary it’s the one in the south by princess auto). For about the same price as a small bottle at Canadian tire. Well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom