REBUILD A442F HYDRO HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed there has not been any rebuild documented on online forums for the specific a442F hydro transmission found in 1990-1991 hdj81's. I have a paper manual coming in the unicorn "RM188E FSM" found on eBay

The reason for the rebuild is tranny shifts nicely from Gears 1-2 then 3rd gear seems to be slipping and will not shift into 4th. if I have the gear selector in 2nd and rev it up higher put it into D it will go into 4th but I am not noticing any torque converter lockup. I have adjusted the trans kick down cable and played around with the adjustments and it will shift into 3rd but I notice my revs go up. (my theory of gear slipping).
if you guys have any other suggestions on what to try I am all ears.

I'm no transmission expert or master technician I am confident I can fix this myself it's just a matter of finding all the parts needed and the time.

sofar on my list of what I want for this rebuild is
Wholesale automatics -billet torque converter
wholesale automatics - extreme duty valve body

not sure what else I will need clutch packs and steels? oil pump?
I think I will have a better idea of what I need when I have the transmission opened up.

I found a master rebuild kit on eBay. was wondering if this is compatible I also saw some rebuild kits on rockauto.com unsure if the parts are the same for the a440,a442f electric and or a442f hydro

A442F Transmission Master Rebuild Kit For TOYOTA LAND CRUISER V6 4.5L 93-94
For 4-SPEED automatic transmission
The Automatic Transmission Master Rebuild Kit Including :

overhaul kit,

friction plates kit,

steel plates kit.

Applicable models

TOYOTA

LAND CRUISER 93-1/95 V6 4.5L

LAND CRUISER 93 4.0L, 4.2 Diesel

Last edited:
Before you go down this path, check out my thread on the Throttle Positioning Sensor:
TC Lockup problem & Injection Pump Rebuild (related?)

I had similar problems, and I spend a few hundred in parts and headaches until a friend and folks on this forum "encouraged" me to read the code that the electronic transmission may throw.

The TPS is a $40 part, and mine is all fixed now.

That's my two cents.

Before you go down this path, check out my thread on the Throttle Positioning Sensor:
TC Lockup problem & Injection Pump Rebuild (related?)

I had similar problems, and I spend a few hundred in parts and headaches until a friend and folks on this forum "encouraged" me to read the code that the electronic transmission may throw.

The TPS is a $40 part, and mine is all fixed now.

That's my two cents.

thanks for the tip but there's no computer in my transmission and no overdrive your linked thread will not help me.

If you have an A442F, then you have the electronically controlled transmission...there is a (very) simple computer in that truck.

If you have an A442F, then you have the electronically controlled transmission...there is a (very) simple computer in that truck.

Huh? Not on a 91...

1991-1992 is the A442 hydraulic no computer 100% sure JDM spec only.

your link shows you know how to use toyotdiy have a look yourself no solenoids and no computer.

Yes, there is/was a hydraulic A442, I cant really see why it would be so different to a 441 but it is. I know the final drive ratio is slightly different.
You are a very brave man, taking on and auto box , but , keep it all supper clean and pay attention to the thrust clearances ( you must replace the thrust plates ) you should be OK.

All the best.

Can confirm '90-'92 HDJ81's had fully hydraulic A442F's with 4th gear lockup, zero electronics. '93+ got the electronic A442F with 3rd and 4th gear TC lockup.

@veiloctane If you're looking at buying some Wholesale Automatic goodies for the rebuild, you might want to speak with Rodney and see if he has any troubleshooting tips or diagnostic tips to help confirm what your issues are, few know these transmissions as well as he will.

I look forward to you digging in to it. My trans was actually sent to Rodney in Aus for the extreme rebuild... but my trans has some issues. Won't stay in lock up 3rd or 4th. It's had the issues since day one when the previous owner had the work done. I have spoken with Rodney over the phone and by email, very helpful and generous with his time.

Good luck with the rebuild!

the parts i am planning to get from Rodney is

• Extreme Valve Body Assembly
  • Outright Heavy Duty Billet Torque Converter
  • Master Rebuild Kit with Extra Frictions
  • Modified 2nd and 3rd Clutch Kits
I am currently sourcing out friction steels and bearings and races as they are not included with the master rebuild kit.
not sure yet what else I will need until I have the transmission out and open.
perhaps some special tools to compress the spring clutches to get the friction discs out.

I am already on a good start I just received my RM188E A442F TOYOTA FSM!

Last edited:
Ok guys here's a bit of an update. I'm working on this slowly. 1st step was to remove and drop the pan and valve body. Here is what I found on the inside.

Lots metal and broken gasket C2 spring and pin looks garbled up

IMG_1217.JPG

IMG_1218.JPG

IMG_1219.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

Last edited:
My theory is the spring broke and the small alloy piece of the stem and spring ended up in the square hole causing some issues.

IMG_1232.JPG

image.jpg

image.jpg

I look forward to you digging in to it. My trans was actually sent to Rodney in Aus for the extreme rebuild... but my trans has some issues. Won't stay in lock up 3rd or 4th. It's had the issues since day one when the previous owner had the work done. I have spoken with Rodney over the phone and by email, very helpful and generous with his time.

Good luck with the rebuild!

your whole trans was sent to Rodney?
did you replace the torque converter? and which valve body did you go with I am aware of two nomad and the extreme.

one of my customer just blewup his tranny on a 91 hdj81 today,looking at options now but his 81 have 450,000 km.....

your whole trans was sent to Rodney?
did you replace the torque converter? and which valve body did you go with I am aware of two nomad and the extreme.
Here's a copy of the original invoice...

wholesale trans.jpg

I want to drop my pan to take a look to see what might be causing my lock up to slip in and out but after seeing your pics... I'm not sure I want to knowo_O

The deeper I go the more stuff I find :(

IMG_1247.JPG

IMG_1249.JPG

IMG_1290.JPG

IMG_1297.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom