What the hell is goin on in Jimmy's Barn (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jim, look up rotabroach. Far better for cutting holes in plate or sheet stock. They're annular cutters.

Those spring perches on the axle are pretty narrow, no? The perch should match the width of the spring, or at least be *very* close to it.
Thanks for the tip, Johnny! Amazon sells them, too.

Amazon product ASIN B000LQOCRK

Jim, look up rotabroach. Far better for cutting holes in plate or sheet stock. They're annular cutters.
I use similar cutters from McMaster-Carr and Starrett for cutting holes in brass flat bar stock (for vacuum advancer brackets) and steel (breaker plates) in my custom distributor work - they work great. I used the same type of cutter from Starrett for cutting a hole in my '86 FJ60 sheet metal for rear drivers side door power window and door lock wiring.

Those spring perches on the axle are pretty narrow, no? The perch should match the width of the spring, or at least be *very* close to it.
I was wondering the same thing Johnny. Being a frailer and no direct drive I’m hoping these will suffice. May need to research this further and make a change prior to SAS. I’ll do other finishing touches between next week and August as well. This weekends trip will be pavement and fire roads only for the trailer. Really appreciate the feedback.

With that much work being done he is easily 10 beers into it.. 🤣

@CenTXFJ60 looks really good man!
Lol Mark. You know me well :). I’m a bit cautious now after having a Coral snake rolling through the barn. Have to keep my spidy senses. Probably should adhere to that running the cutting/welding tools as well.

Lol Mark. You know me well :). I’m a bit cautious now after having a Coral snake rolling through the barn. Have to keep my spidy senses. Probably should adhere to that running the cutting/welding tools as well.
I almost lost a finger to a 9 foot belt sander running at 2500 rpms in a split second because I was tired and didn’t realize I was being disrespectful. I almost never played guitar again. I don’t make those mistakes willfully anymore.

So it made the trip to Palo Duro Canyon with @POTATO LAUNCHER @CaptClose @samc2447 @mesa man @ceylonfj40nut @Mesa Woman
@BombCity and a few offspring etc. was an absolute blast. We are camping in the bottom which means the trailer had to get down and back up. Went better than expected. Tongue weight is a bit light but a storage box and spare tire should help that a bit. And may shorten the neck a bit as well.

E57233CE-E090-4332-BEEA-8ECCBC182537.jpeg

DD9BAA4E-9313-4D5B-8464-DBD44929828C.jpeg

Last edited:
80 work last weekend….

WNOR sliders bolted on…as advertised, they are perfect out of the box and fit snug. Had to drop the gas tank a little to get a brake line spacer in place.

Changed diff oil from Nitro gears break in. Like 2 metal flecks total in rear with none in front after about 900 miles. Went with synth 80-140W GL5 as Nitro recommends.

Forgot to take pics, but my help looked something like this…

B0402374-965B-4E63-B39E-0A754BDA1E38.png

80 work last weekend….

WNOR sliders bolted on…as advertised, they are perfect out of the box and fit snug. Had to drop the gas tank a little to get a brake line spacer in place.

Changed diff oil from Nitro gears break in. Like 2 metal flecks total in rear with none in front after about 900 miles. Went with synth 80-140W GL5 as Nitro recommends.

Forgot to take pics, but my help looked something like this…

View attachment 2696382
Brent, was great having you and Kevin up the other Saturday. Once the sound system is fixed you should be ready for our trip to the SAS in Ouray. Really looking forward to it. And love this pic. Don’t think I’ve ever seen Kevin laugh this hard in 54 years :).

^^^
54 years?? Now how could the man laugh when he wasn’t even born yet??🎯.

44 max👍

^^^
54 years?? Now how could the man laugh when he wasn’t even born yet??🎯.

44 max👍
Ha...Mr. McVickers, that's all the years I have on this earth. Kevin has 3 more on me :).

Only because we some other eyes here....does this look like the person that put this together in 86 forgot to seal the seams and install the drain hose? This fender has not been removed since it was assembled on its 7/86 born on date.

IMG_20210608_182240234_HDR.jpg

I posted this in my build thread but thought I should update RC’s thread. Refreshing these axles to go under Frankenstein. Getting custom cables made at “California Push-Pull” and should have them back in a week or so. Will use “T” handles mounted in the floor. Have the OEM handles but they are from a RHD and the bracket below the tub looks like a PIA to mount. Also gonna convert my OEM springs from Medium to heavy while I’m at it. Should have some Northstar chassis paint sprayed by Saturday and hopefully get the front axle back together y Sunday.

445D7A78-9DB0-4EFB-AC12-AA4C02458C03.jpeg

1417CFF0-5FC9-484F-AB5C-837C2F2B18D1.jpeg

EA8705FF-87DD-4E70-8B78-D94E15B619F5.jpeg

I posted this in my build thread but thought I should update RC’s thread. Refreshing these axles to go under Frankenstein. Getting custom cables made at “California Push-Pull” and should have them back in a week or so. Will use “T” handles mounted in the floor. Have the OEM handles but they are from a RHD and the bracket below the tub looks like a PIA to mount. Also gonna convert my OEM springs from Medium to heavy while I’m at it. Should have some Northstar chassis paint sprayed by Saturday and hopefully get the front axle back together y Sunday.

View attachment 2706876

View attachment 2706877

View attachment 2706878

I want chrome, or at least chrome like paint. You’re talking about some real bling man.. 🤑

I want chrome, or at least chrome like paint. You’re talking about some real bling man.. 🤑
:)
Wish I knew how to find those animated faces. Would come up with a better one than a colon/parentheses. Look forward to seeing you, Chris and the rest of the guys in a month or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom