What is your FJ40 Restoration Shop Garage Set-up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This my current mess

4B79A6A2-4E91-4BE2-A3B4-9E8016D9D8AA.jpeg

Ok seriously how long did it take you to get that garage looking on point man??? My OCD is at ease here. That would be my zen place!!! @FARMAN33

Thanks @Varty Yo It is my zen place for sure. As you well know, we live for organization and optimizations of form and function. We are never done! Short answer is 14 years although nothing you see was there at the beginning. When I find a better storage solution, the old one finds a new owner. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

Impressive assortment of machines, tools and equipment. With all this, are you planning to do several builds?
For me it is about building stuff, it can be a 40 or a machine .
I’ve got 2 40’s that I’m working on and just acquired the mill and surface grinder.
As soon as the mill is ready I will reorganize the rear of the shop and the jig for the 40 will be set up in the front.
Not sure what I will make after the 40’s, I just want to learn new stuff.

Looks like 2.4m Pearl/40#, 2.0m Metalized/40# and some Clear Self Wound lamination to me! Hoarding some PS materials from Fasson

Yepper! I wouldn't want to wipe my butt with that.

anyone want to share their sizes, trying to determine how big my next garage is going to be, looking in the 30x24 range, hard to imagine and theres no way i'm going to fit everything in one garage, currently im in a 22x20, with countless goose decoys, surfboards, fishing poles, chest freezer, kayak, 5 bicycles, 1981 Shovelhead FLH , 72 fj40, and the wife wants her 4runner inside.

It is like being homeless not having a workshop and it seems that we're never really happy with what we have. At least, I'm inclined to be unthankful. Just building the Dagha Boy has seen me through 3 "workshops " or perhaps better to say workspaces. The first and in retrospect my favourite was the one where it all started in the bush, where I bitched about the dust and having no walls and equipment, but the daily parade of furry friends made up for it.

BASICALLY A THATCHED TWO CAR CAR-PORT
IMG_5071.JPG

NO PRIVACY FROM THE NEIGHBOURS
IMG_3821.JPG

MESSY AND CLUTTERED INSIDE
IMG_3833.JPG

REGULAR VISITOR
IMG_4648.JPG

EVEN THE LITTLE GUYS VISITED
IMG_4666.JPG

It was real fun and I did not appreciate it as much as I should have.

Fast forward and I'm in lockdown in PDX after having a "near death" experience at the beginning of March. The docs were trying to give me an angiogram when I flatlined and they could not get me back up and running. Long story short they did and had I been anywhere else but in a cardio emergency room I would have died.

That sort of changes one's perceptions and priorities. so as I sit here I am busy planning my new workshop. The basis is 10W x 20L x 4H (33' x 66' x 13') a standard steel frame building with metal roof and cement block walls. With our climate I do not have to worry about heating and cooling and insulation so it is surprisingly cheap.

I’m currently in a 21x21x12 with an 8ft door. This was a HUGE upgrade from the borrowed one car garage I started in, but I outgrew it in about 2 years.

My biggest gripe is a big low hanging structural beam running through the center that prevents my using the ceiling for much (no lift, no hardtop hoists).

If ever I hit the lottery and can afford a detached shop, I think I’ve determined I can fit about a 32x26 or 28 before I hit the easement restrictions, or my well cap. I already have dreams of what I could do with that much space, but really, I just want unencumbered access to all 4 sides of the FJ40. My current space is so packed with stuff I can’t even operate a trolley jack. No room to actuate the handle without hitting something.

This will be partially remedied when I finish the 16x20 shed I’m putting out back. That will clear the mower and all my lawn tools out of the garage and free up half a bay.

anyone want to share their sizes, trying to determine how big my next garage is going to be, looking in the 30x24 range, hard to imagine and theres no way i'm going to fit everything in one garage, currently im in a 22x20, with countless goose decoys, surfboards, fishing poles, chest freezer, kayak, 5 bicycles, 1981 Shovelhead FLH , 72 fj40, and the wife wants her 4runner inside.

Mine is 30x50. And it seemed like enough space several years ago. Now... not so much. Even before it became a warehouse overflow. This pic is from a few years ago, and pre lift.

100_0276.JPG

Then I added the lift and swapped out a couple cars. Today It is even more crowded.

100_1729.JPG

That does look "cramped." That is almost the same size as I've been thinking and the steel structure basically the same. Maybe I need to add another 15' to the length and another 6' to the breadth. Are your walls 12'. I've got a lot of stuff I want to do in it and keep in it.

I went 30x40 w 16’ ceilings. A 10’ 2 and 1 car door on one side and a 14’ RV door on another side.... just in case. Plenty of height was originally going to do a loft but will build shelves as needed

D4085528-0A38-4CBF-BC29-7F9FABCFD47B.jpeg

DEC10D91-7292-4CBB-BB73-7719D6FEC659.jpeg

It is like being homeless not having a workshop and it seems that we're never really happy with what we have. At least, I'm inclined to be unthankful. Just building the Dagha Boy has seen me through 3 "workshops " or perhaps better to say workspaces. The first and in retrospect my favourite was the one where it all started in the bush, where I bitched about the dust and having no walls and equipment, but the daily parade of furry friends made up for it.

BASICALLY A THATCHED TWO CAR CAR-PORT
View attachment 2289953
NO PRIVACY FROM THE NEIGHBOURS
View attachment 2289955
MESSY AND CLUTTERED INSIDE
View attachment 2289954
REGULAR VISITOR
View attachment 2289958
EVEN THE LITTLE GUYS VISITED
View attachment 2289959

It was real fun and I did not appreciate it as much as I should have.

Fast forward and I'm in lockdown in PDX after having a "near death" experience at the beginning of March. The docs were trying to give me an angiogram when I flatlined and they could not get me back up and running. Long story short they did and had I been anywhere else but in a cardio emergency room I would have died.

That sort of changes one's perceptions and priorities. so as I sit here I am busy planning my new workshop. The basis is 10W x 20L x 4H (33' x 66' x 13') a standard steel frame building with metal roof and cement block walls. With our climate I do not have to worry about heating and cooling and insulation so it is surprisingly cheap.

My daughter(5yr old) would flip her s*** if there were zAhbras(her pronunciation) walking around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom