What is this on my steering column? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is this above my steering column? It looks to be a on the column shifter but it also has 4 on the floor. It will lock into place but I am afraid to do anything with it. Did they make fjs with both shifters?
20170821_181138_resized.jpg

Column shifter left in place after a 4 speed conversion.

Your was originally a three speed column shift and a PO was too lazy to remove when put a four speed in. They also did a hack job on the original turn signal switch. Cut the handle off. Then removed the switch and rod and installed a aftermarket turn signal switch.

It's a 70 model. The 4 speed on the floor looks completely original like every FJ40 I have seen. Just thought this was really weird. It shifts great.

What year is your cruiser?

Just a guess but with a lower padded dash and what looks like a choke and hand throttle on the dash it would be a 68 or 69. Not sure if the 3/69 to 9/69 two barrel hand a hand throttle but the earlier one barrel did.

Edit. Lower knob looks like a wiper switch. Believe 71 had a brake light switch to the left of the speedometer cluster. 1970?

Just a guess but with a lower padded dash and what looks like a choke and hand throttle on the dash it would be a 68 or 69. Not sure if the 3/69 to 9/69 two barrel hand a hand throttle but the earlier one barrel did.

I was going by what the title said but it could be wrong. I do have the choke on the dash.

Edit. Lower knob looks like a wiper switch. Believe 71 had a brake light switch to the left of the speedometer cluster. 1970?

I have a 3/69 and the 2 barrel , short run carb, and I have both choke AND hand throttle.

I might have guessed the piece in the foreground of your photo was a trailer brake of some sort if it wasn't an aftermarket turn signal switch????

Floor shift was a option back when the FJ40 was first introduced. 72 it seems a floor shift was standard. Early in the 74 model the three speed was replaced with a four speed.

Wow! I had no idea. I guess you learn something new every day. Thanks!

What is this above my steering column? It looks to be a on the column shifter

That my boy is how most of the cars us old guys learned to drive and shift our cars with. Also you had to learn how to double clutch because synchronizers were just the dream of some later to come automotive engineer

Floor shift was a option back when the FJ40 was first introduced. 72 it seems a floor shift was standard. Early in the 74 model the three speed was replaced with a four speed.

no, my '72 had a three speed - it had been converted to four speed before I got it - by now it's got five speed :)

At this rate it should be a 6 speed soon...:)

At this rate it should be a 6 speed soon...:)

No six speed sounds to much like a FJ Cruiser. As for a five speed while not here the H55F was available in the 4X series in other countries as I'm sure you know. Probably have a few in the museum. Besides if you line up the right parts it's almost a direct bolt in on the later 40 series. Know of no six speed that wouldn't require a adapter to work behind a F/2F.

I was contemplating mission-creep..:lol:

The FJC 6 speed is not all that good in any event. Any transmission that incorporates the release bearing collar sleeve as part of the main housing can't be all that well thought out.. :hmm:

Last edited:
I was contemplating mission-creep..:lol:

The FJC 6 speed is not all that good in any event. Any transmission that incorporates the release bearing collar sleeve as part of the main housing can't be all that well thought out.. :hmm:

That thinking started with welding the spindles on the FF rear ends. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom