Steering Column Disassembly - Stuck? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Goldbug

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m attempting to disassemble my steering column to install a bushing (currently it’s loose in the firewall with a big gap). But I don’t know if I can get the shaft out? Should I be able to slide the ignition switch piece up toward the wheel? First pic. The FSM seems to skip some steps.

The PO installed FJ60 power steering and shortened and welded the shaft, so I can’t pull it through the firewall towards the cab.

I’m hoping to remove the ignition switch apparatus and slide it out toward the engine, then install the bushing.

Is that possible and if so, how do I get the ignition apparatus off? I did got the snap ring off but the bearing seems to like its current position and I’m hesitant to start whacking at it.

IMG_4650.jpeg

IMG_4652.jpeg

IMG_4653.jpeg

IMG_4649.jpeg

If you removed the snap ring, you should be able to slide the column shaft out the bottom. You could also remove the 3 bolts holding the cup to the firewall and completely remove the whole column assembly.

You have the cyldr unbolted. It should slide towards you and off the shaft.

Bearing is likely seized a little on the shaft. I have had to tap one before. Did not take much and it slid right up.
Like said above, you could just undo the bolts holding the steering cup and pull it all out. Be a lot easier to paint!

If you removed the snap ring, you should be able to slide the column shaft out the bottom. You could also remove the 3 bolts holding the cup to the firewall and completely remove the whole column assembly.
I was able to separate the ignition from the bearing but bearing seems like it wants to stay.

I’m gonna try a bearing puller. Getting that off is the only way I’ll be able to get a new bearing on where it goes through the firewall, since the other end is welded.

IMG_4655.jpeg

as others stated above
where the steering shaft goes thu the firewall, remove the larger piece that surrounds it, maybe 3 or 4 bolts
then you can work on it on a bench

I would degrease the shaft above it then polish it. Would use a puller to remove it. Because this is not really heavy load bearing and or high RPM. The ball bearings do use the shaft a race. Would try to save the bearing unless feel like the bearing itself if bad. Personally using a puller is a lot less work then using a Dremel. Regardless I wound be cleaning up the shaft even with a new bearing.

Thanks for the support guys especially @pb4ugo. Bearing puller did it. Quite the gunk ring behind it. Gonna clean and repack the bearing and see if I can slide the firewall one on.

IMG_4657.jpeg

IMG_4658.jpeg

Glad you figured it out. Be sure the new bearing slides down the shaft. It maybe snug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom