What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (41 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had an appointment to see @FJ40Jim today, but there was a solid chance of rain so it was time to bite the bullet and put the hard top back on. Installed the OEM door seals that @Toybota passed on with the truck, lots of new seals for the hardtop from @Racer65, and new hardware from Overland Metric.

Not surprisingly, it took a lot less time to take the top off than it did to put it back on.

IMG_3293.jpg

Too be honest not sure it was the same bull. Believe one was actually a small Forky horn. I haven't hunted in years. Even then was more about being in hunt than the kill. If I was still hunting wouldn't be any small bull I would be after. Phone is loaded with pictures of better bulls. This one was during the rut this fall.
View attachment 3200730
That is one healthy boy John, thanks for sharing👍

I have no idea how many actual miles are on my fj40 but I hit 40,000 yesterday. I know its many many many more than that. the speedo cable was not hooked up when I purchased it.
View attachment 3209943
Also some views from home
View attachment 3209945
I’ve got almost the same miles! Same boat, my speedo/odometer didn’t work when I bought it but was right at 40k. I got a new cable and cleaned/rebuilt the odometer and reset it to 39,985 so I could ensure all the odo wheels spun as they should. Now almost 44k in less than a year!

I’ve got almost the same miles! Same boat, my speedo/odometer didn’t work when I bought it but was right at 40k. I got a new cable and cleaned/rebuilt the odometer and reset it to 39,985 so I could ensure all the odo wheels spun as they should. Now almost 44k in less than a year!
Nice! I was really relieved everything worked when I replaced the cable. I am unsure of when the spedo cable stopped working on mine. I think when my friend Mark had the transmission rebuilt. The cable was either broken then or prior. The little tab on the end of the inner cable towards the transfer case was broken off. Looking through the parts that it came with I found the little broken tab. it was in a bag.

Its crazy how well a new greased up cable will work though. my old fj80 had more needle wobble than this fj40.

Swapped to the newer style windshield frame to facilitate finding a wiper motor and setup.
20230103_142639.jpg

Also doing a bunch of chassis work as well. Getting close now.

is that a early 1990s toyota surf suv frame under that land cruiser? Pretty cool!
Good eyes! 1993 Ln130 JDM surf chassis, with a 300mm extension I put in. Engine and trans from a 98 Lexus LS400 mated to the surf t/case and then lexus interior as well.

Good eyes! 1993 Ln130 JDM surf chassis, with a 300mm extension I put in. Engine and trans from a 98 Lexus LS400 mated to the surf t/case and then lexus interior as well.
Nice! those coils in the rear and Ifs front suspension will be much more comfortable in that 40 series truck. I always liked the 1986 - 1995 toyota trucks and 4runners we have in the states because of the tortionbar front suspension. I think it was better than the later 3rd gen 4runners and surfs with the coils in the front.

Nice! those coils in the rear and Ifs front suspension will be much more comfortable in that 40 series truck. I always liked the 1986 - 1995 toyota trucks and 4runners we have in the states because of the tortionbar front suspension. I think it was better than the later 3rd gen 4runners and surfs with the coils in the front.
I have mad respect for and milage in both torsion bar and coil IFS. My dad has a hilux pickup with 750k kms which is torsion bar, and my mom's KDJ95 prado is over 400k miles now as well. My wide has 3rd gen surf and I'm using a 2nd as the chassis for my build, so, ja, lots of toyota 90's era IFS going on in the family!

I have mad respect for and milage in both torsion bar and coil IFS. My dad has a hilux pickup with 750k kms which is torsion bar, and my mom's KDJ95 prado is over 400k miles now as well. My wide has 3rd gen surf and I'm using a 2nd as the chassis for my build, so, ja, lots of toyota 90's era IFS going on in the family!

Yeah, I had to “surf” google to find out what a surf is. 25+ years out of touch, not bad 😂
its the 4runner that exist everywhere else in the world. its way cooler of course because of the Diesel engine options and more common manual transmissions. Plus as sombody who likes surfing the name surf is way cooler too.

The biggest downside to IFS is the the ball joints wear out. I had a few fail on me on my 1998 tacoma. On the coil spring style IFS its 1995 - 2006 (in North america I beleive.) if the lower ball joint fails its pretty catastrophic. I know from experience. Important not to overlook that PM. I digress though. its pretty epic to see on a 40 series!

Last edited:
Hmmm…

Flyfish
Hunt
Photograph
Darkroom
Ski
Horseback
Read
Plink
Sit-by-Fire-Drink-Coffee

Probably not in Toyota’s future

Continued with my Vintage Air/Heat install today. It's coming along nicely.

View attachment 3207553

View attachment 3207556

View attachment 3207557

View attachment 3207558
Progressing well! Looks like you have the high performance version, me too. Thinking it's pretty straight forward. But, I am a bit worried about fitting up the condenser as I will have a cross flow radiator and have some fabrication to do. Engine compartment is getting crowded and I have to fab a battery tray.

20230104_100243.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom