What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (41 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

my question to the peanut gallery - would you trust a helicoil here? Or should I start planning to replace the knuckle?

Helicoils work well and will be as strong or stronger than the original thread, if they are done right. The trick is drilling out the old threads straight.

I have not yet used a Time-sert, but they appear to be a superior system and easier to install. One of these days I will invest in that system.

You can borrow my kit.

You can borrow mine too.... I have two sizes.
View attachment 2648866

I will reiterate what I’ve said 100 times before - I truly admire this forum and it’s community. My truck has been down for like 8 hours and I have an offer for hellicoils from my local club and time serts from two others. Truly an amazing group of people I’m proud to be a part of.

Some Blingification of the air cleaner.

I have been working on removing all of the various components from a donor air cleaner housing for a while and finally got it done.

Now there is just the air horn, a new connecting hose from city racer and the air cleaner with no brackets diaphragms, flappers or nipples. All powder coated in semi gloss black. Still working on the sticker, the clips and bolt bling. But a good start.

Don't make fun of the rest of the engine bay. Its a work in progress. :cool:

IMG_20210418_130056__02.jpg
IMG_20210418_130106__01.jpg
IMG_20210418_141359.jpg
IMG_20210418_141353.jpg
IMG_20210418_141346.jpg

First oil change since engine rebuild. Took the opportunity to flush the engine and new radiator, install a new Toyota 82 thermostat and fresh red antifreeze. Was suspicious of the temperature sensor as the engine was indicating about a quarter above the bottom. Got a new sensor from Toyota and on a whim did a resistance on it vs the old sensor. What does the experts say about this.
2754A1D5-9416-484E-9BDE-87A744C701FE.jpeg

First oil change since engine rebuild. Took the opportunity to flush the engine and new radiator, install a new Toyota 82 thermostat and fresh red antifreeze. Was suspicious of the temperature sensor as the engine was indicating about a quarter above the bottom. Got a new sensor from Toyota and on a whim did a resistance on it vs the old sensor. What does the experts say about this. View attachment 2649347

Seems a little low - this is what the 75 chassis-body manual says

1619021650732.png

This is from the Aug 81 manual

1619022254206.png

Last edited:
Seems a little low - this is what the 75 chassis-body manual says

View attachment 2651859

This is from the Aug 81 manual
View attachment 2651870
Thanks for your information Russ. I installed the new sender and will see how it effects the reading on the temp gauge. My measurements were taken the way it is illustrated in the manuals. I'll report back a soon as I get the 40 back on the road.

Looks good! Which seat foam did you get from SOR please? I’m doing mine sometime down the road.
The base only as hey do not have or sell the backs for the year I have. For the back I wen and got some high density foam to fortify th current foam...it as not cheap...400 for foam and 100 shipping from west coast to east coast. I had to use zip ties instead of hog rings due to tight fit. Worth every dollar. Thank!

After I got my soft top from Julie@DirtRoadTops and bow set from RealSteel Cruiser Parts and powder coat from Bayou City Coatings, I found the windshield rail needed to be raised a little bit. The seams in the top fabric are catching on the windshield wipers (early FJ40) when I put the top on.

I solved that problem and caused another one. Now I have wind and rain coming in through the gap I made. So I did it over and put in some air conditioner sealing foam. All I have to do now is drive in the rain again and see if it works.

B9A84B4E-A517-44E5-B60D-9B1FC42C9189.jpeg

750974F2-0209-4DAE-A280-5A194502787F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom