What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (62 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where did you get that brush guard?

My brother picked it up in Anchorage when he had the cruiser. It was a Craigslist find, not sure who built it.

Looks like the one @lcwizard use to make. Made a version with all round tubing and one with the vertical part square tubing. All were black originally. Really like this brush guard but it doesn't work with a factory PTO winch.

Cut some rubber gaskets and bolted the cage in.
5E4D14D0-0068-42ED-AB0A-878373ED7C2E.jpeg
B89FBAFC-3108-4D8B-9B34-434C9F3028FF.jpeg

I’ve always heard cruiser lean was to the driver’s side. Would love to hear some opinions as to why mine is tilted right.

Mine leans to the passenger side also, FWIW.

Replaced the spring bushing that I blew wheeling I’m thinking I’d overtightened it.

View attachment 2556654

View attachment 2556652

but I might still need to loosen the U-bolts and try nudging things a little - the spring seems “cockeyed” in the mount.

View attachment 2556659

All told I was hoping maybe something was binding up and fixing this would address my cruiser’s gangster lean, but no luck...it’s still leaning about an inch to the passenger side.

View attachment 2556650

I’ve always heard cruiser lean was to the driver’s side. Would love to hear some opinions as to why mine is tilted right. I could always put in a leveler block bandaid on the high side but I’m trying to rule out there isn’t something else up before I go that route.

New shocks and springs, might still need to settle but I’ve had it offroad for a weekend and put about 500 road miles on it. Almost exactly an inch low on passenger side.
Also fwiw, when I installed the HFS lift from CCOT last summer, they give a rear passenger side spring prepared to fix cruiser lean. Previously I thought the same as you that it was more the driver side so I even questioned this, but I installed it as stated, and it sits really well. So I guess the cruiser lean is usually passenger side.

Also fwiw, when I installed the HFS lift from CCOT last summer, they give a rear passenger side spring prepared to fix cruiser lean. Previously I thought the same as you that it was more the driver side so I even questioned this, but I installed it as stated, and it sits really well. So I guess the cruiser lean is usually passenger side.

I think it works the oposite of what's intuitive... I always thought you put a shim on the HIGH side (so shimming the passenger side would mean it's leaning low-driver.

Is there anything special about that shim, or it just a piece of 3/8 plate with a hole in it? If that's all it takes I can make one in my garage. I imagine you need a longer center pin, but I've used grade 8 cap screws with great success in the past.

I think it works the oposite of what's intuitive... I always thought you put a shim on the HIGH side (so shimming the passenger side would mean it's leaning low-driver.

Is there anything special about that shim, or it just a piece of 3/8 plate with a hole in it? If that's all it takes I can make one in my garage. I imagine you need a longer center pin, but I've used grade 8 cap screws with great success in the past.

Ok I get that, it makes sense now. Here's a pic of them before installing where you can see the extra plate on the top of the spring. Then after.
1610993228363.png

Rear Passenger installed:
1610993324812.png

Rear Driver installed:
1610993359929.png

1610993465503.png

Ok I get that, it makes sense now. Here's a pic of them before installing where you can see the extra plate on the top of the spring. Then after.

Got it - what's that plate look like from the top down? I imagine it's just a hole for the spring pin to go through (just like you'd see with a caster shim). How thick is it? I always assumed it was around 3/8 or 1/2" - looks close to that when I compare it to the thickness of the leaves in your spring pack, but then mounted on the truck it looks like it could be thicker.

Got it - what's that plate look like from the top down? I imagine it's just a hole for the spring pin to go through (just like you'd see with a caster shim). How thick is it? I always assumed it was around 3/8 or 1/2" - looks close to that when I compare it to the thickness of the leaves in your spring pack, but then mounted on the truck it looks like it could be thicker.

Here's a pic of the stk Toyota cruiser lean blocks. I think CCOT sells them too. They're really nothing more than 3/8" plates w/a hole. My 40 leans to the right side too. Back in the late 80's I got tired of looking at my 40 leaning to the right, so while having some beers I decided to swap springs side to side in the rear to correct it. I did all the work and ended up with the same result,:bang:. I then blamed it on some frame repairs I did previously. Later after the turn of the Century, I looked into the lean blocks and decided I didn't want to use them because they would lower my 40, which seamed to me, like that was going in the wrong direction. I decided to make a longer shackle for the low side to level things out.

cruiser lean blks.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the stk Toyota cruiser lean blocks. I think CCOT sells them too. They're really nothing more than 3/8" plates w/a hole. My 40 leans to the right side too. Back in the late 80's I got tired of looking at my 40 leaning to the right, so while having some beers I decided to swap springs side to side in the rear to correct it. I did all the work and ended up with the same result,:bang:. I then blamed it on some frame repairs I did previously. Later after the turn of the Century, I looked into the lean blocks and decided I didn't want to use them because they would lower my 40, which seamed to me, like that was going in the wrong direction. I decided to make a longer shackle for the low side to level things out.

View attachment 2557220

I totally understand the advantage to the Toyota version. The CCOT version has a through-hole with an extended spring pin so the head of the pin can still index with the spring mount. The problem is sliding a new, longer spring pin requires you to completely diassemble the U-Bolt plates. I bet the raised center on this one was so that you could just loosen up the U-bolts and slide this in, over the top of the old spring pin. Clearly, either option would work.

Thanks all for confirming my suspicions. I'm not sure how long a spring pack typically needs to "break in" - I may give it a month or two or another wheeling trip and see where that lands me... It's tough to say but it SEEMS like one spring articulates/compresses more than the other but I also may just have been staring at this for too long. I've made sure nothing is binding up, no overtightened shackles, etc. So the only think I can figure is one spring is just stiffer, or I've got a malfunctioning shock but there's no outward indication of leaks or damage. I'll probably inspect the shocks when I build the shim just to be sure.

^^^stock 15s, “stock” 16s? Good looking 40!

GSager said:​

"I went with OME springs and Bilstein shocks, and I got about 2.5" out of it overall..."
Congrats for the OME + Stein combo! May I ask which model of Bilstein shocks did you opt for, mate?
Happy cruising in your beautiful skyblue 40!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom