Another day, another step forward. Filled with oil, new filter and plugs. Added coolant. Overheated the thing for a minute, damn air trapped in the block. So I removed the thermo sensor and let the air escape. Kept the spill proof funnel filled, and let it run for awhile. Based on my calculations, should be topped off or very close to it.
In the morning I will install the radiator cap, get it hot and under pressure, check for leaks, then replace the air intake, grill and bib.
Plan on taking sometime off next week to go fishing. Would love to have the Forty on that trip, fingers crossed!
My cousin says what’s up!
Replaced the front spring bushings today. Took 5-6 hours. Not fun. Here’s a photo of the bushings I removed. I am not at all sure they needed to be replaced. Some of the clunking in the front end is better. Will tackle the rear another time.
Then installed the platform onto my confer roof rack. It’s ready for camping gear. Checked the mail to find the new Toyota trails magazine. I am going to enjoy an adult beverage and do some reading.
Got it back on the road. Still have a coolant leak. Not sure where it’s coming from. I’ve tightened the hose clamps multiple times. I’ll keep at it. Put about sixty miles on it today. Sorry, no pics of it out side of its home.
Got it back on the road. Still have a coolant leak. Not sure where it’s coming from. I’ve tightened the hose clamps multiple times. I’ll keep at it. Put about sixty miles on it today. Sorry, no pics of it out side of its home. View attachment 2555396
A lack of fresh snow has allowed for more progress.
Rust repair continues- new lower A pillars, floorboards and outside patches are in place. This was a New England rig, so I consider the cancer to be moderate. Even so, I’m replacing the rear tub with an Aqualu 3/4 tub, so that’s what stubby floorboards and elongated A pillars will mount to. While I had them open, I slathered the body mount channels with POR15 and weld thru primer on the attachment areas.
Here’s the moderately finished driver fender. I’ve swapped to an Fj80 steering box, so the old opening was no longer needed. It was also making contact with the tire, so at least that won’t be a place to catch anymore.
Speaking of the p/s conversion, I finally went back and sleeved the new mount. I used my 110v Lincoln to tack them in place, but I’ll wait til I get to work to use the 220 to burn them in for good.
Replaced the spring bushing that I blew wheeling I’m thinking I’d overtightened it.
but I might still need to loosen the U-bolts and try nudging things a little - the spring seems “cockeyed” in the mount.
All told I was hoping maybe something was binding up and fixing this would address my cruiser’s gangster lean, but no luck...it’s still leaning about an inch to the passenger side.
I’ve always heard cruiser lean was to the driver’s side. Would love to hear some opinions as to why mine is tilted right. I could always put in a leveler block bandaid on the high side but I’m trying to rule out there isn’t something else up before I go that route.
New shocks and springs, might still need to settle but I’ve had it offroad for a weekend and put about 500 road miles on it. Almost exactly an inch low on passenger side.