What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (75 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I picked up a parts shell for my fj55. Where to store this stuff!

B9F55B61-0DB0-4959-A5F7-2A704F30F63E.jpeg

21655336-9CA0-496D-9C64-ED012748DC17.jpeg

2E1C1673-4733-43A9-A69C-918B2C73A449.jpeg

89A40825-EA98-41BC-8F9A-76499EC6826E.jpeg

Took advantage of the 72 degree day to put in the bracket that stabilizes the clutch slave cylinder, a new clutch fork return spring bracket, and new push rod. That fixed the very slight slip I was experiencing with the old unstabilized slave cylinder/push rod that wouldn't shorten enough combination.

While I was working, I replaced the spade connector that I somehow smoked when trying to get the truck started back in November during a big snow. Looks like that connector was taking a while to fail and increasing resistance for several months prior to letting the smoke out of it. Now I know what to keep an eye on.

Started in on the plumbing for the Sniper 2GC. Still learning lessons from others, this one (64) will get primarily a steel fuel line set up.
Running the Walbro 392 pump. It's a quiet one, but even then I wrapped it in some sound deadening material.
Going primarily with AN6 joints and copper nickel 3/8 fuel line.
Mounting the pump along the inner frame rail.
Got it laid out...

20200203_000416.jpg

Lost my brake master cylinder and booster, slowly over the last few weeks.
Ordered a new booster and brake sensors from cityracer. Master came from rock auto.
Ended up pulling the clutch master and the steering column so i could clean behind them and paint them black. Replaced the rag joint while the column was out and cleaned and greased the bearing and all the switches behind the steering wheel.
It was amazing what a big difference it made to clean the fire wall. Degreaser and nylon brush worked well. I only did the drivers side this time. In a couple weeks I’ll tackle the passeger side. Pull the battery and you other accessories, paint them black, clean & reinstall. Makes a huge difference
Here’s a before and after pic.

F5BF0502-E6A8-47E8-9E39-917188809D76.jpeg

WOW :eek: - what degreaser did you use, and how about a pic of that nylon brush? I WANT TO DO THIS.

WOW :eek: - what degreaser did you use, and how about a pic of that nylon brush? I WANT TO DO THIS.
Simple green, and a nylon brush about twice the size of a toothbrush, but with stiffer bristles.

Simple green, and a nylon brush about twice the size of a toothbrush, but with stiffer bristles.

Make sure to use the Simple Green Pro HD, helps with preventing corrosion on bare aluminum in future. I stopped using regular simple green on cars after I started noticing some discoloration :/ Granted if you clean it off quick and rinse and dry, it will usually be ok.

Washed the 40 today.
There is a spring that keeps a section of my driveway wet most of the year so am constantly splashing mud.
Been threatening to do it for several weeks so today finally got around to going to the car wash.
It was windy, I think I got more water on me than the rig.
Got some more cold wet weather coming up so will have to wait to really get underneath better.

I guess this was over the last few weeks, but I'm slow...

When I bough the 40, one of the front leaf springs was severely bent. After a bunch of research and measuring, I figured out that the leaf springs were custom built by Alcan. They used the measurements of a stock front FJ40 leaf spring (20"/22.5" pin to eye), but designed it to be ran backwards to lengthen the wheelbase by 5". It was also set up with an OrbitEye on the fixed side. The reason it bent is the shackle would invert when wheeling hard...

I figured the best way to tackle the problem would be to run front leafs from a Hilux. I researched out what the stock spring rate of an FJ40 front spring was and figured that the heavy OME 2.5" spring pack would be about perfect. I also knew that I would have to change out my 4" front shackle to a 5" shackle to keep it from binding at full stuff. Furthermore, I knew that I had way too much castor beforehand, so I added 10* shims. Here is the end result:

IMG_20200202_085535_392.jpg

IMG_20200202_085535_391.jpg

IMG_20200202_085535_395.jpg

IMG_20200202_085535_388.jpg
IMG_20200202_085535_387.jpg

During the process of front suspension saga, the clutch master started leaking... I ended up replacing that with an Aisan replacement. I also decided that I would mount up new tires on my old beadlocks for the mini truck and put the 36" radial Iroks on the 40 for now. Ultimately I need to sell either the mini or the 40 and the beadlock wrapped in new 37" Kanati Mud Hogs will stay with whichever rig I keep.

IMG_20200125_105258_340.jpg

IMG_20200125_180334_773.jpg

I have ran this setup in the past and have been very impressed as an all around tire choice.

How much of the top did you need to take off to put on new dash pad? Looks great!
My top is in bad shape so it's just sitting on the tub , so it was easy to lift up and use a couple of vice grips at the dowel to hold it up. However today I put all of the weather stripping on the tub and windshield .

New Toyota Headlights......SWEET deal for the $.....
Did figure out the relays needed to be properly grounded. Lights kept intermittently working and not working.....cleaned up the mounting spot and bolts, problem solved

20200201_125727_resized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom