What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (26 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed some new upside down shocks on the rear.

Bilstein.jpg

Yep, they're installed upside down. Boot should be at the bottom on those.

Seems to be a controversial subject...1/2 say boot down, 1/2 say it doesnt matter.
They were installed by local shop front with boot down and back with boot up...didnt notice till I got home.

Bilstein2.jpg

Seems to be a controversial subject...1/2 say boot down, 1/2 say it doesnt matter.
They were installed by local shop front with boot down and back with boot up...didnt notice till I got home.

View attachment 1749625
Check the Bilstein website. They go boot down to keep the oil against the seal and the pressurization gas in the top welded closed area. Less chance to lose pressure over time that way.

Check the Bilstein website. They go boot down to keep the oil against the seal and the pressurization gas in the top welded closed area. Less chance to lose pressure over time that way.

There is nothing on the Bilstein site that clearly states if the shocks can be mounted either way...Ive searched this forum and others and it seems to be a controversial subject. This is the only thing I found on Bilsteins site:

BILSTEIN MONOTUBE / UPSIDE-DOWN TECHNOLOGY
The original. The best.
BILSTEIN monotube gas-pressure shock absorbers were the first in series production and have remained the equipment of choice for those who demand the most from their vehicle. Whether driving in poor driving conditions, sporty driving, or competitive motorsports, our monotube technology provides greater damping power due to the larger surface area of the piston. This results in improved handling, consistent performance, and longer service life. Increased installation flexibility allows engineers to find the optimum mounting position. BILSTEIN also uses upside-down monotube technology which allows the piston rod to be installed at the bottom of the shock tube body. A wear-resistant chromium tube moves up and down freely by incorporating low friction bearings. Both the support and lateral forces are distributed across a larger area than in twin-tube systems, and the torsional strength of the connection between the wheel and vehicle body is increased.

I sent an email to Bilstein support...hopefully I get a response. Not sure why the shop installed the front one way and the rear the other.

Last edited:
This seems to imply they can be mounted in either direction:
Basic Know-How - BILSTEIN

"Optimum discharge of thermal energy into the atmosphere means consistent high performance can be achieved and the sturdy design provides maximum safety reserves in flexible fitting conditions, e.g. inverted technology."

There is nothing on the Bilstein site that clearly states if the shocks can be mounted either way...Ive searched this forum and others and it seems to be a controversial subject. This is the only thing I found on Bilsteins site:

BILSTEIN MONOTUBE / UPSIDE-DOWN TECHNOLOGY
The original. The best.
BILSTEIN monotube gas-pressure shock absorbers were the first in series production and have remained the equipment of choice for those who demand the most from their vehicle. Whether driving in poor driving conditions, sporty driving, or competitive motorsports, our monotube technology provides greater damping power due to the larger surface area of the piston. This results in improved handling, consistent performance, and longer service life. Increased installation flexibility allows engineers to find the optimum mounting position. BILSTEIN also uses upside-down monotube technology which allows the piston rod to be installed at the bottom of the shock tube body. A wear-resistant chromium tube moves up and down freely by incorporating low friction bearings. Both the support and lateral forces are distributed across a larger area than in twin-tube systems, and the torsional strength of the connection between the wheel and vehicle body is increased.

I sent an email to Bilstein support...hopefully I get a response. Not sure why the shop installed the front one way and the rear the other.
I’ve seen this asked and answered before. Bilstein’s said that their logo should be right side up rather than upside down and you’ll be all set

I really like them. Look great, quiet on the road. I bought Vision VSM40 wheels. Painted them gray.

Do the wheels come in the proper backspacing, or did you need to run spacers?

I’ve seen this asked and answered before. Bilstein’s said that their logo should be right side up rather than upside down and you’ll be all set

Can you post a link? Ive seen the exact opposite.

I bought Samson some new toys in preparation for the SAS in Ouray next month.

A08D39CE-11B7-412A-BEC1-2916E6EB6EC6.jpeg
5DABD88C-4B93-4CD7-B529-65FB7335FCE0.jpeg

Ford trucks forum has a thread on it. You’ve seen bilstein say they orient their logos to be upside down?

No, but someone posted an email from Bilstein that stated the 5125 specifically can be configured in either direction. And look at my post #18087...this is from the Bilstein website. Im not arguing for it...I want to know a definitive answer. I sent an email to Bilstein, hopefully they answer it.

Keep in mind a logo only reads in one direction...so the argument that the logo must be oriented correctly makes zero sense. They didnt print the logo to define the orientation, they printed the logo to brand the product.

There is no definitive info on Bilsteins site other than the two descriptions I posted which both state (rather vaguely) "flexible fitting conditions, e.g. inverted technology" and "Increased installation flexibility allows engineers to find the optimum mounting position. BILSTEIN also uses upside-down monotube technology which allows the piston rod to be installed at the bottom of the shock tube body."

Both of these quotes seem to imply the shock can be mounted in either direction...and nothing on their website states otherwise.

EDIT:
There is a lively debate here where two people claim Bilstein told them they can be mounted either way: Bilstein Question

Here's Kevin at Bilstein's response to my question:
the shock can be mounted in any position including horizontal because of the mono-tube design and it has no effect on the damping rate ( not so with Sachs) . In most racing applications it is preferable to mount the cylinder up because this reduces your unsprung weight. This is a critical factor on super light suspensions or 200 MPH Land Cruisers. Glad they worked for ya!!!

Regardless Im going to flip mine so the can is up...but I would love to know what Bilstein says on the matter. Ive searched the forums for two days now and half say yes and half are adamant that you shouldn't...but nobody really has solid info to support their position other than the logo must be up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom