What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (36 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah im seeing that it won't be rainbows and sunshine, but hopefully it will be done and over with next work day. We will see.

Are you doing it yourself, or paying hired hands?

Very welcome. My local cruiservice restoration shop said they have the best quality panels out of anyone they have tried. Said they are the closest to spec.

Hello from Spokane. I also used the Real Steel on my 82 that was finished (never really finished) last month. Really impressed with RSfrom part quality, fit, packing, ship time, price, etc. Their floor pans, rockers, quarters and rear sill all fit great. A great company. Sad to see they are for sale as you never know if quality will be maintained with a new buyer...

Hey Bigredrocker, I bought the base and clear at Car Color Center where I usually buy my aircraft paint. They recommended Nason and after seeing some of the other vehicles painted with it I went that route. It is a medium bodied paint and is priced reasonably. My body really didn't need any real body work as it was accident free and rust free but being the OCD guy I am I spent a lot of time just welding up screw holes by the P.O. and working out one small quarter size dent and a deep scratch on the rear fender. The driver side door had a nickel size dent also.

The driving force to repaint was the fact the vehicle (12-76 build date) had spent it's entire life in SoCal (3 years) and the remaining 38 years in Arizona so the paint was badly sun faded and dead. It is getting all new rubber body gaskets and window gaskets for the same reason. Sunlight is really tough on paint and rubber. Most of the aircraft I have bought and rebuilt have had the same issues; dead paint, interior issues and tires needing replaced. Of course on aircraft I use Imron or Jet Glow.

Just looked up that tool...learn something new everyday. Are you a welder and can weld in those parts yourself? I've never done any at all but I'm getting the itch to jump in. I wonder how big the learning curve is to get structurally decent welds? I'm sure to get pretty welds the curve is a lot steeper.

Just looked up that tool...learn something new everyday. Are you a welder and can weld in those parts yourself? I've never done any at all but I'm getting the itch to jump in. I wonder how big the learning curve is to get structurally decent welds? I'm sure to get pretty welds the curve is a lot steeper.

I just picked up a MIG welder and started messing with it this year. The learning curve to stick two pieces of metal together is about 10 minutes. The learning curve to make sure they're STRUCTURAL and to run a good clean bead...well, I'm not sure, I'm still learning that part. TIG welding, from my understanding, is harder to learn, but a better, cleaner process overall but I've never messed with it.

For sheet metal work, the challenge is burning through, but I've done a little bit so far with decent results. I had a more experienced friend of mine do the structural work (engine mounts, etc.)

Got my 80 power steering box back from West Texas Off-road. Talk about “one thing leads to another...” Sent it in just for a rebuild. After finding out The sector shaft was warped I decided to upgrade to the 105 series sector shaft and pitman arm. Then went ahead and had the box tapped for hydro assist...not that I ever plan on it, but at least it’ll be ready to go if so.

B77F207E-06C9-449B-B92F-6335979019E2.jpeg
52585698-A1DF-4C5A-B345-9340C09E1D36.jpeg

Finally got the soft top on and about 90% adjusted. There was a steep learning curve for me since this is the first OEM style soft top I have ever installed. A little cutting and spacing and the doors close easily. Just have to get the snaps put in. Now it looks like the FST it was when it left the factory.

EDIT: A rain storm came through last night and the increase in humidity shrank the top to the point where it is very tight and smooth. I was surprised how much the top shrank. OCD Beetle cloth top.

DSCN0677.JPG

Last edited:
Replaced fuel filter and fuel pump. Made sure the alternator was wired correctly. Got a new set of tires and wheels. Old set was 31x10.5x15. I really like the look with the tall skinny tires. Tires are BFG KM3 size 7.5R16, equals 32 inches tall, 8.5 inches wide, 16 inch rim.

20180706_175921.jpg
20180720_205412.jpg
20180720_205458.jpg
20180720_205440.jpg

Still one of my favorite builds.

Thank you. Couldn’t have done it without the collective wisdom of this forum. Makes me smile every time I drive it. :)

Replaced fuel filter and fuel pump. Made sure the alternator was wired correctly. Got a new set of tires and wheels. Old set was 31x10.5x15. I really like the look with the tall skinny tires. Tires are BFG KM3 size 7.5R16, equals 32 inches tall, 8.5 inches wide, 16 inch rim.

View attachment 1749443 View attachment 1749444 View attachment 1749445 View attachment 1749446

I’ve been eying up the 7.5R16 BFG’s or the Yokohama G003 M/T’s. How do you like the new BFG’s? What 16” wheels are you running?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom