What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (34 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sat in it.

Got the 64's top into paint... Finally!!!
Damn these tops are a huge canvas to prep and paint...
This is after hours of working on the drip rail patching welding, grinding, filling, sanding, priming, painting...
Whew!!!

And I still need to cut and buff it... ;)

And then install the headliner... And then mount it...
20190324_143737.jpg

When I went to basic training, at 19, I was 5'6" and 129lbs... When I came out, I was still (surprise) 5'6" and weighed 154lbs.

The drill instructor quit trying to break me with push-ups, when he could never find my maximum.

The chow hall Sargent quit trying to fill me up, when he learned I had never eaten so well.

No brag, just fact... I earned every ache and pain I've since endured and loved every minute of every bit of it.

Everyone should enjoy the opportunity and experience of serving our country... Everyone should experience manual labor. Both contribute mightily to gaining insight into the trials and tribulations of others... Both build character and both knock the s*** out of the scourge of entitlement and the incessant whining of all those who never a character built.

:cheers:

I enlisted in the Air Force in Sept. 1961, I still remember my T.I.'s names. Sgt. Tate & Sgt. Pruitt. Must have left an impression on me even though Air Force basic was a bit soft when compared to the other branches.

I enlisted in the Air Force in Sept. 1961, I still remember my T.I.'s names. Sgt. Tate & Sgt. Pruitt. Must have left an impression on me even though Air Force basic was a bit soft when compared to the other branches.

I don’t remember T.I’s names... I just remember thinking the buck sargeant looked to be about 12... until I had my first latrine duty... I looked like I was about 11.

They shut Lackland down (meningitis) and opened Amarillo back up. There was hardly anyone on Amarillo, except my flight and one or two others.

I fell in love with the chow hall... few customers, no wait and learned to hate the daily tornado warnings.

Nothing hard about basic... except the heat and I grew up in real heat ((Imperial Valley of SoCal), regularity ~120*.

From Amarillo, to Witchita Falls, TX for Tech, School (more daily tornado warnings)... then, Sahara heat, at Wheelus AB, Tripoli Libya.

Long time ago mate... back when s smoke was a smoke... at ~$.15/pack... and beer was 3.2%.

I haven’t drank, nor smoked, for a lotta years now, but I generally still chew my own food. ;)

Didn't do much to the Toy today except some measuring for a project I have in mind.
That and straighten the garage.

I remember the chief that was in charge of us in boot but the real strange thing is years later in the late 70's and through 80's, when I was doing art shows the husband of a lady that had a booth at many of the same shows turned out to have been the executive officer of the base when I was in training.
We would park our RV's next to each other and often have breakfast together.
On several occasions did old Tomas fix me breakfast.
He was one heck of a nice guy and had some great navy stories.
Though I never met him back when I was in I can't imagine him being anything other than a good officer.

I don’t remember T.I’s names... I just remember thinking the buck sargeant looked to be about 12... until I had my first latrine duty... I looked like I was about 11.

They shut Lackland down (meningitis) and opened Amarillo back up. There was hardly anyone on Amarillo, except my flight and one or two others.

I fell in love with the chow hall... few customers, no wait and learned to hate the daily tornado warnings.

Nothing hard about basic... except the heat and I grew up in real heat ((Imperial Valley of SoCal), regularity ~120*.

From Amarillo, to Witchita Falls, TX for Tech, School (more daily tornado warnings)... then, Sahara heat, at Wheelus AB, Tripoli Libya.

Long time ago mate... back when s smoke was a smoke... at ~$.15/pack... and beer was 3.2%.

I haven’t drank, nor smoked, for a lotta years now, but I generally still chew my own food. ;)
No heat in the Netherlands, must have felt cold for you.

No heat in the Netherlands, must have felt cold for you.

We arrived in Brunssum, by bus, from Brussels, in early July, 1983... and were greated by a heat wave... vijfendertig graden celsius... not cold at all.

I quit smoking in Brunnsum... acupunctuur... and was running seven 6 minute miles every day before long.

So, I was in great condition when the cold finally arrived... and cold it was... the Fijver Park Lake froze the next two winters... in fact the Elfstedentocht took place two winters in a. row.

It was VERY cold, but I ran in ice and snow and was very acclimated to the weather... I only fell a half dozen times... nothing hurt, but my pride.

Ik ben Hollands van hart ... ik mis nog steeds mijn lange, eenzame afdalingen door de schoonheid van de Brunnsumnerheide!!

Edit: the first Dutch words I learned were “kijken en lopen”... I practice both as often as I can!!

Last edited:
Refreshed my knob’s lettering and installed a OEM switch for my light bars.

For the lettering on the knobs I used a product that a professional engraver recommended. He uses Laquer Stick and it performed just as he described. Just cut the end of the stick off to expose fresh material. Smear it on the letters in every direction to get it in every nook and cranny, then wipe off with a dry cloth. Easy as that!

The fog lamp switch is a sweet 4 position switch. I wired it so as you pull the knob it hits the following detents:

Off-Rear-Front-Both

The previous owner had after market switches stuck to the dash which I am very happy to be rid of.

12E223D7-3105-425B-87BE-7C41DEBF24C8.jpeg

We arrived in Brunssum, by bus, from Brussels, in early July, 1983... and were greated by a heat wave... vijfendertig graden celsius... not cold at all.

I quit smoking in Brunnsum... acupunctuur... and was running seven 6 minute miles every day before long.

So, I was in great condition when the cold finally arrived... and cold it was... the Fijver Park Lake froze the next two winters... in fact the Elfstedentocht took place two winters in a. row.

It was VERY cold, but I ran in ice and snow and was very acclimated to the weather... I only fell a half dozen times... nothing hurt, but my pride.

Ik ben Hollands van hart ... ik mis nog steeds mijn lange, eenzame afdalingen door de schoonheid van de Brunnsumnerheide!!

Edit: the first Dutch words I learned were “kijken en lopen”... I practice both as often as I can!!
Het is hier niet meer zo koud geweest.
We did get an almost Vegas summer last year.

When was the last time you were here?

Het is hier niet meer zo koud geweest.
We did get an almost Vegas summer last year.

When was the last time you were here?

Yes, I read recently that Elfstedentocht is no more... it no longer gets cold enough to freeze the canals.

We had great plans to return frequently, after we left in late ‘86. But, life got in the way... too many work commitments and too few vacations.

We still keep in touch with our old Dutch friends, but have never gone back.

We still regret no staying longer... we could have.., the offer was there. I also had friends at Phillips, in Delft, and could have retired from the Air Force and gone directly to work for Phillips.

But, we sold a house before we moved to Brunssum and were only allowed 4 years to replace it (e.g. buy another) ... not replacing it on time would have caused us a significant tax liability (capital gain).

So, we moved back to Texas, reinvested the money and life morphed into a blur.

I never asked, Michael... what is your profession?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom