What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (34 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Need one of these?

Other than just driving it, Saturday morning, I changed 8 qts of oil and spun on a new B2.

Yes, I read recently that Elfstedentocht is no more... it no longer gets cold enough to freeze the canals.

We had great plans to return frequently, after we left in late ‘86. But, life got in the way... too many work commitments and too few vacations.

We still keep in touch with our old Dutch friends, but have never gone back.

We still regret no staying longer... we could have.., the offer was there. I also had friends at Phillips, in Delft, and could have retired from the Air Force and gone directly to work for Phillips.

But, we sold a house before we moved to Brunssum and were only allowed 4 years to replace it (e.g. buy another) ... not replacing it on time would have caused us a significant tax liability (capital gain).

So, we moved back to Texas, reinvested the money and life morphed into a blur.

I never asked, Michael... what is your profession?
I have developed a system that closes bolted flange connections on offshore wind turbines.
We close flange with a scatter of less than 10% and above design value, all measured in kN.
Normal connections show scatter numbers higher than 70% with most bolts far below minimum design value.
I set up the system to use for each project and solve the issues during a project.
And of corse the R&D part.

I have developed a system that closes bolted flange connections on offshore wind turbines.
We close flange with a scatter of less than 10% and above design value, all measured in kN.
Normal connections show scatter numbers higher than 70% with most bolts far below minimum design value.
I set up the system to use for each project and solve the issues during a project.
And of corse the R&D part.

I’m not sure I fully understand the concept, but It sounds like your method is considerably more efficient/reliable.

By “closing bolted flange connectors”, are you locking down a turbine... or performing preventative maintenance, to ensure the turbines remain structurally sound?

Am I close?

Not for long they approved 4.0 beer this year in the legislator.
JP

It was never the abv that bothered me, it’s the poor selection I can’t stand. We do get some good local brews but you’ve got to catch them at the state liquor store before they sell out.

Desert on Sunday, skiing on Monday. I do love spring.
C32B7C90-7D8B-4B8C-B0DE-09B6CEBB7A94.jpeg

Took my daughter fishing today, of course I drove the 40!
B03B1BBD-CDAC-4289-943F-6CE5897D4259.jpeg
38BECDFC-6426-4A56-84F8-B29B6CAF38BC.jpeg

And got her in a nice riffle! ;)

Unfortunately the water is still too cold, there are some big stoneflies moving around but nothing much for action yet. More or less a scouting trip and to work on teaching the kid to cast.

Unfortunately the water is still too cold, there are some big stoneflies moving around but nothing much for action yet. More or less a scouting trip and to work on teaching the kid to cast.

Envy you that...... miss my kids being young!
I’m finally getting around to organizing my ton of ‘stuff’ in our basement and found my daughter’s wading boots - they grow up so fast :(

I’m finally getting around to organizing my ton of ‘stuff’ in our basement and found my daughter’s wading boots - they grow up so fast :(

Funny you mention wading boots, I had to let her wear my hiking shoes because her rain boots wouldn’t fit with the waders!!

I’m not sure I fully understand the concept, but It sounds like your method is considerably more efficient/reliable.

By “closing bolted flange connectors”, are you locking down a turbine... or performing preventative maintenance, to ensure the turbines remain structurally sound?

Am I close?
When you look at bolts there are two things to concider, one is how much load they can withstand as in how strong is it and the second is fatigue. A bolted connection is made to be static not dynamic like a spring. Therefore you have to preload a bolt higher than the forces applied to it during use. If you don’t the bolt will be stretched and released during load cycles. This will cause fatigue damage and eventualy failure. Less preload means shorter lifetime, more maintenance and higher cost. If you just torque a bolt you don’t know how much it was preloaded and checking it using a torque wrench, only tells you the resistance is still the same but doesn’t change the fact that the preload is off. As soon as you put a number of bolts in a flange they start to act as one but can’t be preloaded as one which gives you another chalenge.
Our system covers all that and can be applied faster than conventional methods.

Just to give you an idea, we apply 250 metrisch tons of preload in a M72 foundation bolt, per bolt.
When we measure the connections when they are made, we can remeasure them in actual kN in less than a minute a bolt only using a measuring device. Going offshore this saves a lot of time and equipment.

Going offshore this saves a lot of time and equipment.
I can relate to this. Back in my younger days I designed offshore oil and gas platforms for Texaco. My first project was a platform 110 miles off the coast of Louisiana in 340 feet of water. There were weather problems during the installation and the cost per day of a crew boat and all other related offshore support was $75,000 USD. That was back in 1980. Definitely not cheap.

When you look at bolts there are two things to concider, one is how much load they can withstand as in how strong is it and the second is fatigue. A bolted connection is made to be static not dynamic like a spring. Therefore you have to preload a bolt higher than the forces applied to it during use. If you don’t the bolt will be stretched and released during load cycles. This will cause fatigue damage and eventualy failure. Less preload means shorter lifetime, more maintenance and higher cost. If you just torque a bolt you don’t know how much it was preloaded and checking it using a torque wrench, only tells you the resistance is still the same but doesn’t change the fact that the preload is off. As soon as you put a number of bolts in a flange they start to act as one but can’t be preloaded as one which gives you another chalenge.
Our system covers all that and can be applied faster than conventional methods.

Just to give you an idea, we apply 250 metrisch tons of preload in a M72 foundation bolt, per bolt.
When we measure the connections when they are made, we can remeasure them in actual kN in less than a minute a bolt only using a measuring device. Going offshore this saves a lot of time and equipment.

Thanks for explaining this, Michael!!

I can relate to this. Back in my younger days I designed offshore oil and gas platforms for Texaco. My first project was a platform 110 miles off the coast of Louisiana in 340 feet of water. There were weather problems during the installation and the cost per day of a crew boat and all other related offshore support was $75,000 USD. That was back in 1980. Definitely not cheap.

View attachment 1937061

A photo of myself from about the same time, but onshore (New Mexico as a matter of fact):

Still doing the same thing these days, just with a different "company car":

Fixed a vacuum leak.

Drove it.

Got some boxes.

87AC0FC9-D203-4910-A867-15BFA9EE31E5.jpeg
6E83AD4B-56A0-4CB8-B07C-B1DB60EA3B7B.jpeg
BC5C8066-BF1C-46FD-A8DB-976F8630B3A2.jpeg
743689F4-7EAF-4125-922D-BC851D766647.jpeg
E1A154F7-39B6-451F-89B5-883036EB98BD.jpeg

I know my wading boots grew up way to fast!! :(

@4Cruisers & @1911

Tell the truth... you are twins, right?

I pumped gas one summer, for a full service Phillips 66 station... biggest challenge was finding the gas filler in a ‘52 caddy.

Anyone know where it was/is?

My great uncle worked for Texaco for 40 years... he was the “deep well super”... he brought in a lot of 20-30k’ wells, in the Permian Basin. He came of age in the Deep East Texas fields of the Great Depression.

More than you asked...

DUI distributor and Live Wires installed. Starts great and idles nicely. Need to set timing better and clean everything up. Love that can run .050" plug gap.View attachment 1936751

I run timing st 12*BTDC and gap plugs at .050”... runs smoother than ooze!!

Curious though... did you run it off a relay?

Almost ready for Moab. We are leaving April 22. I got the wheel and tires on. I stripped the old rotted headliner out of the hard top and siliconed the holes the previous owner had put in there to mount his CB and antenna and cleaned it all up. Installed the CB and antenna. Rebuilt the front and rear axles and installed the lockers. Pretty much ready to go. A couple of small things to take care of, but I ran into a problem. The rear tires are rubbing on the rear of the tire opening at close to full stuff, and will rub on the top as well, I am sure. Its a 4 inch lift with Nitto 12.5X15 tires on 10 inch rims. The fronts rub a bit on the front fenders too. That I can deal with by rolling the inner lip under. But the rear rubbing sucks as I really don't want to cut the openings. I am going to build some bump stop spacers and live with that for now, unless someone has a better suggestion. John
lc tires.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom