What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (40 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This Evening, I Promised My Ol'Girl I'd Start Her Rebuild.

As this month (March) is my 1979 40's 40th Birthday, and she remains destraught in bits & pieces all throughout the house, I'm KNOWING I'm needing to do something FAST - prior to the month's end !!! ..... Soooo, I've just now put it upon myself to do SOMETHING, starting this evening, about my far too long-running, atrocious neglect of her & her perpetually saddened spirit.

Prior to being completely dissembled a number of years ago (the date of year is on this board somewhere, but I'm not going to look for it. ... too depressing for me), she had already been sitting in the 3-car garage (and two residential garages prior to that) for some 20-something years, not ever driven. It's been soooo long since she's been driven (or APPROPRIATELY loved), that, let's just say, it's been since the early 90's, when I snagged her with love & passion into my life that she had been driven (graduated college & then toted around the States for my then career - of course in need to be without her).

So, a few years back, to rectify garage-induced, Georgia moisture upon her '79 Japanese sheet metal, and that of vehicle-wide rubber decay, her complete tear-down & sandblasted chassis was my own, somehow justified answer to that. Regardless, for me, her delayed rebuild has so far merely been a money & priority issue - an actual big deal to me, but an obvious to all of us here poor (very poor) excuse.

Whatever :)

Sooo, this evening, to begin (by forcefully placing one foot forward) - that I begin 'walking' in the respectably correct direction for her (my beloved 40), I'm going to reinitiate my life-journey with my 40 via full reinventory all of her fasteners & small parts (all of which are individually ziplock bagged). Within the next few days, or week or so, when able, I intend to redetermine the individual condition of each fastener & part, vehicle-wide. Fortunate for me, the entire vehicle is pretty much in outstanding condition. I won't go as far as saying 'pristine.' But overall, she's actually pretty close to that. - - I Can Not Wait to see how STELLAR she will be when her rebuild is finished.

QUESTION #1 :

I recall the majority of her fasteners are in good condition, albeit dirty, etc. Will it be better to purchase a tumbler & tumble-clean the existing fasteners; and to then have them zinc plated ? -OR- Is it better to simply purchase one or more kits of new, plated fasteners, and disregard the majority of the existing, foregoing the expense to clean & plate them ? -Or- Is cleaning & plating the better conditioned of the existing, PLUS, purchasing one or more kits of new fasteners - - the more logical or common ?

QUESTION #2 :

After the cleaned fasteners are zinc plated, and/or the new ones received, is it a GOOD Idea or a far too REDUNDANT Idea to then have those same fasteners Black or Olive Drab chromate plated ?

Thanks !! ... And PLEASSSSSSE WISH ME BEST OF LUCK ON THIS ... (that I get my rear-end in gear on this looooong-overdue project of MY LONGTIME LOVE) !!!!

msp_MyFJ40-Parts_19-03101.jpg

~Skydog

Last edited:
Putting Together a front Brake job on a 78 FJ40

had a old set of
04491's Buried Deep in my Heady-Parts stash :grinpimp:

The new Silver Zinc Electroplating TOYOTA is using shies like Chrome !

DSCN9708.JPG
DSCN9711.JPG
DSCN9712.JPG
DSCN9714.JPG
DSCN9715.JPG

@rkymtnflyfisher : yours looks really good. Ideal. No doubt a pleasure to drive.

Thanks a lot! It is definitely a fun one to drive, hopefully the mountains thaw out soon so I can get back to driving around in them!

Looks like a great place to split wood have a beer.

There may have been a few cold beers consumed last night while splitting that wood, I split close to a half cord last night, then it was off to go grab a burger in town!

And the view isn't all that bad either!

There may have been a few cold beers consumed last night while splitting that wood, I split close to a half cord last night, then it was off to go grab a burger in town!

And the view isn't all that bad either!
If you're splitting the wood with a hand-held maul, and continue to do so until body-wide fatigued - is the BEST physical (and mental) exercise !! No doubt !

Thank you. Just ordered tank.

Helped pay my first year of college by swinging a splitting maul from dark to dark.

Fun stuff!!

I put myself through the 7th grade (once), swinging a 20lb sledge at an ax, used as a wedge, on a farm outside of Cave City, AR.

I would have preferred a 16lb sledge, but only rich kids get to pick their first sledge. I wasn’t rich... I was just happy to quit using the edge of my hand.

Splitting mauls, froes and steel wedges apparently hadn’t made to my tiny piece of paradise, by 1961.

I milked 4 cows before 4am, split wood from 4-5am, bathed in a cold creek and caught my bus by 6am.

After a 45 mile ride to school, I was generally mugged for milk money, by MS-13-like 12th graders, rinse and repeat... home in time to plow 20 acres, or hoe a cucumber or strawberry patch until dark.

Then milk four identical cows, before supper and homework.

My most formative year was fun, regardless!!

I was known, around the farm, as gentle on the teats and interacted several times with armed revenoors, investigating a water pump, used to pump water from the creek.

Those were the days, my friend...

BTW did anyone who watched my video, above, notice when my PS hood latch dropped its second stage and went into orbit?

Fun stuff!!

I put myself through the 7th grade (once), swinging a 20lb sledge at an ax, used as a wedge, on a farm outside of Cave City, AR.

I would have preferred a 16lb sledge, but only rich kids get to pick their first sledge. I wasn’t rich... I was just happy to quit using the edge of my hand.

Splitting mauls, froes and steel wedges apparently hadn’t made to my tiny piece of paradise, by 1961.

I milked 4 cows before 4am, split wood from 4-5am, bathed in a cold creek and caught my bus by 6am.

After a 45 mile ride to school, I was generally mugged for milk money, by MS-13-like 12th graders, rinse and repeat... home in time to plow 20 acres, or hoe a cucumber or strawberry patch until dark.

Then milk four identical cows, before supper and homework.

My most formative year was fun, regardless!!

I was known, around the farm, as gentle on the teats and interacted several times with armed revenoors, investigating a water pump, used to pump water from the creek.

Those were the days, my friend...

BTW did anyone who watched my video, above, notice when my PS hood latch dropped its second stage and went into orbit?

Danny, you lost the latch on the 1,895,537th rib of the 14th washboard on that road, it’s hard to see, maybe send it to the NSA for further analysis.

And the wood splitting of your younger years is pretty impressive!!!

If you're splitting the wood with a hand-held maul, and continue to do so until body-wide fatigued - is the BEST physical (and mental) exercise !! No doubt !

It’s definitely a great workout!!! I’ve had some sore muscles the last couple mornings.

It’s definitely a great workout!!! I’ve had some sore muscles the last couple mornings.
One of the two of the same I've here (have another just like this one) - a true Beast at 18 lbs. It's a life-long keeper tough-tool, no different than a simple, straight-forward, rugged 40 ! ... Classic.

msp_Maul_19-03101.jpg

One of the two of the same I've here (have another just like this one) - a true Beast at 18 lbs. It's a life-long keeper tough-tool, no different than a simple, straight-forward, rugged 40 ! ... Classic.

View attachment 1934044

That thing is a beast!! I had one. Definatly a work out!! Then we went to one of these. My teenage daughters can split with this one with ease now!

View attachment 1934044

That hurts my arms just looking at it!

That thing is a beast!! I had one. Definatly a work out!! Then we went to one of these. My teenage daughters can split with this one with ease now!

Here is the maul I split with, super nice, and tough as a 40!

Wood Splitting Maul: Isocore (8 lb, 36") | Fiskars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom