What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (54 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Question for all; What would throw off a 1-2 month old fresh alignment?

I noticed today the upper control arm nuts on my Freedom Offroad UCA's were loose, not hand loose, but loose enough that it didn't take much effort to tighten them up with a wrench a turn or two before they snugged up.

My rig is pulling to the left already, and it's frustrating because the ride quality seems to suffer and my vibration at 70-75 has returned.

Are a few good rut hits on the trails enough to throw off alignment if those nuts were loose?

Which I guess brings me to what I did today; I tightened my control arm nuts...

You did what I've been thinking of doing, mounting the ditch light to your side mirrors. How's the wind noise and lighting in that location
Honestly, I am experiencing no noticeable wind noise from the mounts and lights. I shopped around for longer then i'd like to admit for what I consider the perfect brackets and found them with Ronin Metal's solution. The lighting couldnt be better btw.

I tackled the really unattractive paint peeling and mismatched door trim on my '99.
1651759915683.png

Cleaned, scuffed, wet sanded, cleaned (again) and taped off.
1651760104947.png

I used SEM Trim Black paint. One can did 3 coats.
1651760194387.png

Don't forget to tape off inside the door jambs unless you like overspray.
1651866110681.png

This paint takes 2 days to harden. I hope the trim paint isn't too glossy once I get it out in the sun.
1651760418323.png

...hmmm, maybe I should buff all of that pinstriping. On the other hand, I would just pinstripe it again :hillbilly:

Last edited:
Honestly, I am experiencing no noticeable wind noise from the mounts and lights. I shopped around for longer then i'd like to admit for what I consider the perfect brackets and found them with Ronin Metal's solution. The lighting couldnt be better btw.
Thanks I'll take a look at the ronin

I tackled the really unattractive paint peeling and mismatched door trim on my '99.
View attachment 3000910

Cleaned, scuffed, wet sanded, cleaned (again) and taped off.

I used SEM Trim Black paint. One can did 3 coats.

Don't forget to tape off inside the door jambs unless you like overspray.

This paint takes 2 days to harden. I hope the trim paint isn't too glossy once I get it out in the sun.

...hmmm, maybe I should buff all of that pinstriping. On the other hand, I would just pinstripe it again :hillbilly:
Can you tell me a bit about your trailer setup? I haven't ever really looked into something like that but yours caught my eye.

Can you tell me a bit about your trailer setup? I haven't ever really looked into something like that but yours caught my eye.
Thanks. It is a retrofit project I put together last year from an old 1960's welder trailer.
1651766603705.png

Last edited:
Thanks. It is a retrofit project I put together last year from an old welder trailer from the 60's.

Aha. I thought the trailer shape looked familiar. Thanks! And your fresh trim looks nice. I need to do the same to mine, but can't decide which route I want to take: try to make it look original, or match the paint, or maybe even try some 3M material.

Put on my OEM CVs from the Southeast Toyota 25% off MSRP promotion today along with new inner and outer bearings ,hub flanges the FSM way.
Innards with Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease, exteriors with Marine grease for rust protection.
Stripped the axles down to the steering knuckle and its dust shields for a cleanup.
Finished off the front end work with a Hunter Hawkeye Elite alignment at the stealership.

I think the mechanic working on the alignment enjoyed working on the LX. I cleaned the undercarriage and frame some weeks ago. Completed the LCA/UCA/steering knuckle area cleaning (grease puked from old CV boots) before I put the front end back together. Said "it's brand new" to another mechanic before taking the LX out of the shop (yes, CVs and steering rack are new!).

Not sure how the Hawkeye Elite works, but he got it all "green" in 20 minutes and proceeded to wrench for another ~20 minutes before taking her out of the shop for a road test.🤣

$99 with a loaner and car wash was a pretty good deal.

1651772441309.png

1651772591405.png

How hard a project? One banana?
Yup, one banana and some time.
The bolts on the right side are in a terrible location and make it so you can't really turn the socket wrench more than a few degrees at a time.

If changing out the end links too, I would def buy new end links right away if you expect the nut to be seized. Replacing them only took a couple of minutes.

Question for all; What would throw off a 1-2 month old fresh alignment?

I noticed today the upper control arm nuts on my Freedom Offroad UCA's were loose, not hand loose, but loose enough that it didn't take much effort to tighten them up with a wrench a turn or two before they snugged up.

My rig is pulling to the left already, and it's frustrating because the ride quality seems to suffer and my vibration at 70-75 has returned.

Are a few good rut hits on the trails enough to throw off alignment if those nuts were loose?

Which I guess brings me to what I did today; I tightened my control arm nuts...
Follow up to this;

I FINALLY remedied my annoying CLUNK on full stop accelerations and driving to stops. It was the fri**** upper control arms sliding forward and backwards from being loose.

Y'all have no idea how relieved I am to be able to accelerate now without hearing that freaking clunk.

Now it's time to address the leaking driver side exhaust header.

That's all, carry on...

Follow up to this;

I FINALLY remedied my annoying CLUNK on full stop accelerations and driving to stops. It was the fri**** upper control arms sliding forward and backwards from being loose.

Y'all have no idea how relieved I am to be able to accelerate now without hearing that freaking clunk.

Now it's time to address the leaking driver side exhaust header.

That's all, carry on...
So the UCA mounting bolts near the frame had come loose? How loose were they? Did you just take a guess and threw a wrench on it and found they weren't as tight as they should be? I have a similar sound that I'm chasing and there's a very good possibility this is the culprit

Love it. Mine would say "What Every Range Rover Wants to Be".
Mine would say “I’d rather be wrenching on my Land Rover”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom