What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (62 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, purple is as frowned upon in my house as orange, but that green does look pretty good and the $10 Amazon special I bought for my '05 isn't going to last long. Will probably be placing an order shortly. Any discount for a testimonial?? Hahaha. JK

Btw, any down side to using a tiny drop of Locktite on the screws so I don't have to tighten them down every few months?

Loctite is a good idea if you use the low strength stuff and just a tiny drop of it. You'll want those screws to come off at some point so you can change out a battery in the future so you can't go too crazy with the loctite. When properly tightened, I've only had one screw come loose on me after a couple years use. The need to tighten the screws should only barely out-pace the need to change out the battery.

That being said, I'm always happy to send out replacement screws/nuts/wrenches if any do come loose.

Taking my factory roof rack off, it was going smooth until the last bolt.......

View attachment 1946130

Middle Mount? Just dealt this this. All but one bolt were literally rusted away. Got one out and had to use a mallet to knock the plastic mount off, then vice grips to grip the left over bolts. Came out no problem. threads were perfect just the tops were rusted away. I wasn't reinstalling so i didn't care about damaging the middle mount

Loctite is a good idea if you use the low strength stuff and just a tiny drop of it. You'll want those screws to come off at some point so you can change out a battery in the future so you can't go too crazy with the loctite. When properly tightened, I've only had one screw come loose on me after a couple years use. The need to tighten the screws should only barely out-pace the need to change out the battery.

That being said, I'm always happy to send out replacement screws/nuts/wrenches if any do come loose.

I'd suggest Loctite 222 Purple if anyone wants to go that route. It's good for the smaller (<.25" screws)

Loctite 242 blue is for use with .25" - .75" screws.

Glen Springs 1 is nice but very hard to find, esp in the dark.
I had no trouble finding the site during the day. I will say sleeping was a little tough because the buzzards, which roost in the big cottonwood tree about 75 yards away, make a lot of wing flapping noise. They must be pushing each other off their roost, then they flay back into another part of the tree.

120K service and installed King Springs. Rides a lot firmer, but will see how it settles down when I put in my single LandShark drawer and tools and recovery items.

IMG_4109.JPG

Not 100 related but took a deposit for my FJ62.

Well, finally bit the bullet and bought a trailer. Almost bought a used Hiker Off-Road Extreme here in Austin, but got hosed by the seller after putting down a deposit. Got my money back and went up to Denton, TX to buy a Morris Mule knock-off from a guy who bought the remaining parts from the previous company (Pak-All) and assembled 2 trailers (one for himself and one for a friend). He built it using the Timbren Axle-less kit and Grade8 bolts throughout. Trailer has some serious ground clearance. Towed like a dream all the way home to Austin.

On the list for upgrades:
1. Trailer Brake hubs 5x150 spacing (trailer already wired for brakes)
2. Match my rig's wheel/tire combo (Vision Rocker Anthracite 18" with 275/70/18)
3. Tongue box with setup for battery/solar/shore power, etc.
4. Tent platform with dual awning mounts (1 ARB 2500 on each side with attached rooms)
5. Linear actuators at all 4 corners so the tent platform can be lowered/lifted with the flick of a switch
6. Lock n Roll hitch
7. Rubber gaskets around the entire tub to weather seal it
8. Rhino/Raptor-line the entire underside, tubwall inside the fenders and the fenders
9. Mud flaps
10. Rock flaps under the body (basically mudflaps that protect the undercarriage)
11. Rock screen for the front of the tongue box (will require some fab work and sourcing of mesh material)
12. 11lb propane tank mount

Got to get to work on all this because I'm planning on using this at the end of May for an Ozarks adventure, June for my first CO trip of the year and then HIH9 at the end of July.

My Trailer.JPG

do you have a link for those lights? I like the look.

Screenshot_20190408-170811_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Pretty cheap, they are bright too for only 50w each. If you look in the picture of my bumper I left the divider above the light as an "eye lid". Even with that they shoot out much farther than my headlights and foglights with LED bulbs. I got them to try in heavy fog and also when I drive in Baja.

New BFG KO2 tires. 285/17/16 from Discount Tire.

I have new 2865 springs and OEM shocks for the back that I really need to install. Then I'll adjust the torsion bars, etc.

Mounted the new Front Runner Roof rack, silver wing RTT (Costco special) and trail tailor sliders.

8A05B49B-2EB0-4D7C-A9EF-B9D8694887F6.jpeg

A6A4EB67-ED67-4D6B-B525-9EE27AD78DB3.jpeg

044D25E4-F7FD-4AEF-B427-ADD41BB50D12.jpeg

7FF1E6A7-8C9D-4C83-8129-8EB4E0C8F290.jpeg

I did a band-aid fix on my third row seat straps to keep them from coming lose. I used some MOLLE Webbing accessories to use a 360 degree d-ring and also a a MOLLE Tube clip to loop through the d-ring and attach to itself. I also used a locking D-ring clip and ran it through the loop end of the factory strap in case the loop strap fails.

I like these because there is no sewing, ironing, velcro, or pulling the seat apart to get the factory strap out.

IMG_9900.JPG

IMG_9903.JPG

258,084 Mile check-in.
New steering rack - detroit axle - installed fine, getting the old one out was as expected. Lots of swearing.
No more Stability Control warnings: priceless.
Also got the poly bushing kit mentioned elsewhere.
New lower ball joints.
New outer tie rod ends.
New upper control arms - thanks rock auto.
New inner & outer bearings, thrust washers - all toyota parts.
Removed broken rear shock. Need mounting hardware for the top portion.
Replacing one BFG K02 with some weird cuts on it. They tried to get me to get the new ones.
Rest of tires (5 in rotation) at 7/32 after installing at 179,912. I'll probably replace next year.
Also replaced the AC Condenser fan.
Alignment scheduled for tomorrow.

You have a write up for the hatch lights?
No I don't. I just mounted two rock lights and ran the wires through the stock grommets, under the headliner, then to the rear dome light. They are only controlled by the rear dome light only because thats all I ever need. A person could also add a switch that makes them turn on independently.

Never had this happen for a tank during daily use. Haven't had smaller tires for a while either, guess it helps. Definitely didn't happen with the 80 and 35s. Respectable 14.4 on the tank, yet unacceptable time for bigger tires. Why am I obsessed with gas mileage, blame my dad and growing up on the farm.

20190409_204736.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom