What did you get your 80 for Christmas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That must be the weakest link on these trucks, that’s the third one I’ve heard of blowing in as many weeks
It might be. Honestly the birfs are probably the weak link but so many are upgrading the birfs and inner axles to chomoly ones that it makes the diff the more likely weak link. All said though, it's almost always some really hard driving (whether it's a difficult crawling obstacle or something else) that breaks the diff. Mine broke when jumping the truck (not on purpose, just driving fast and got airborne). The landing under power shock loaded the diff. At least there are things like cryo-treating or REM surfacing that can be done to the diff gears to strengthen them too.

It might be. Honestly the birfs are probably the weak link but so many are upgrading the birfs and inner axles to chomoly ones that it makes the diff the more likely weak link. All said though, it's almost always some really hard driving (whether it's a difficult crawling obstacle or something else) that breaks the diff. Mine broke when jumping the truck (not on purpose, just driving fast and got airborne). The landing under power shock loaded the diff. At least there are things like cryo-treating or REM surfacing that can be done to the diff gears to strengthen them too.
Yeah, no matter how you slice it, it's a small crown and pinion and size is a factor in strength, especially associated with shock load. If there was an easy upgrade (like there is for birfs) it would just reveal the next weakest link in the driveline.

Pretty well the same suggestions to keep crown and pinions alive in all rigs:
  1. Buy quality parts and set your pattern up correctly.
  2. Avoid pulling someone out where you have to "pop" the recipient. Use a kinetic rope where possible.
  3. Avoid excessive wheel speed if you're spinning in mud, etc. where the tire may catch something solid and stop suddenly (rock, tree root, etc.).
  4. Avoid getting airborne and if you do find yourself off the ground, don't hit the gas while you're in the air.
  5. Avoid doing any pulling in reverse, or traversing obstacles with ledges you need to pop in reverse.
  6. Minimize the weight of your truck.
  7. Have a plan to remove a broken axle and any shaft pieces while you're in the woods so the pieces don't migrate to your center section while you're limping out.
  8. If you have spare cash like Adam, keep a set-up 3rd member on the shelf at home ready to go. :cool:

1. If you have spare cash like Adam, keep a set-up 3rd member on the shelf at home ready to go. :cool:
Haha. I wish I had spare cash laying around. I did some work for a cruiser shop and they happened to be stripping an axle and I took the diff in trade for the work with plans to use it in the front axle of my son's minitruck. But we never got around to putting into his truck yet. Gotta say it was nice to have it on hand to use while the new diff was being put together.

Not sure if it is a gift to the Land Cruiser or myself but she passed emissions today and got a personalized Arizona Navy Veteran plate.

one fortunate 95 Emerald green/blue/black triple locked is in the middle of a most joyous holiday season;

Santa is delivering an OME 2.5 kit to replace the old/tired/beat OME 2.5 kit
Castor correction to be corrected = (C3)
Exhaust redone last week (Was more Leakey than the Olduvai gorge)
Coolant flush ensuing (Toyota Red in support of Rudolph)
Losing some clutter in the front and back.... (sssh don’t tell Dave2000)
Oil and filter... clean the false alarm eggnog from the cap

A refreshed 1fz :)
5CAF7535-C7B8-479C-A392-5DD7408C77A8.jpeg

Shoot while you got the motor out and harness available I would double check the area of the harness where it runs near the EGR and repair now rather than later.
Great idea! I got some more thermal shield to wrap around it as well. I wish badly that the harness was still available. I feel like I’m repining half the connectors lol.

Hmm yea it seems like it might be preferred to keep the birfs as the point of failure in that case. They'd be a lot easier to deal with on the trail than the diff itself, especially if you can't disconnect the front hubs.

Thanks for sharing that, I’ve looked at the OBD2 harness. I wasn’t able to convince myself to figure out how to turn the obd2 harness into the od1 harness (my truck). Besides I’m almost done replacing connectors lol. When I looked into it, I think the trans pigtails were different, the EGR was different, and the MAF/AFM were all different, and the crank sensor, and a few ECU pins.

Avid Offroad Rear bumper for my girl.

Avid Offroad Rear bumper for my girl.

What was the eta he gave you on that bumper? One of my favs

My fzj got a new suspension (to replace the old, new suspension), a skid plate, some stedi lights, and a whole bunch more stuff for the PM HG parts pile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom