What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (86 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Picture

ForumRunner_20130223_184444.jpg

ForumRunner_20130223_184444.jpg

Went snow wheeling with two other buddies. First time wheeling in the snow. Ended up getting buried up to the axles. It was an endless routine of stuck, unstuck, stuck, unstuck. Took us like 5 hours to finally free all three of us. Made it out right before sunset. Nothing like learning snow recovery as a noob!

8498779883_081fcb2d52_h.jpg

8499914552_4192440759_h.jpg

8499948966_355d2e70ef_h.jpg

Picked up my '97 FZJ80 from Wild West Offroad where I had the ARBs serviced and new wiring and switches mounted. They did a great job. Have a trip planned for Monday to Mt Rainier. Look forward to its first trip in the snow.

I finally got around to tackling my front oil pump seal. Did the front crank seal while I was in there. Also installed the one inch body lift some good friends got me for my birthday in November. Then helped my buddy change the front knock sensor in his 80 that the oil change place broke off. Out of it all that was the worse. Trying to dig the broken bits out of the plug that had an inch of slack under the intake next to the oil filter was no fun. I got my self so deep into the engine bay I had to take my shoe off to get out.

Working on rear axle rebuild, new rear calipers/brakes/rotors, and dealing with broken axle/hub studs. Tons o' fun....

Another 80 found it's way to my driveway ;)

ForumRunner_20130224_123350.jpg

ForumRunner_20130224_123409.jpg

Discovered that if you do a tune up, it's really important to make sure the electrical connector above your distributor cap is on tightly. If you don't the truck runs like crap and you think that you just messed everything up. OK, it barely runs at all! Plugged that connector back in and she purrs like a cat. Sure feels great to do some PM and see how smoothly the truck runs! This is why I should stick to my day job!

Addressed the cancer rust forming under the sill of the back window on the tail gate. The streaks of rust running down the white paint were really getting on my nerves.

This was a case where the medicine to fix the ailment is only marginally better than the terminal illness. My efforts were decidedly bush-league and I now faintly hear mariachi music every time I look at the hideously mismatched paint. The bomb can primer-topcoat-clearcoat approach after sanding the rust into submission yielded heinous results.

This is only a stop-gap measure to halt the march of oxide destruction. I'll do it properly with a full disassembly and bare metal strip when the weather warms up enough for real auto grade paint to cure.

butcheredpaintjob_zps6916c171.jpg

Last edited:
I brought my new to me fj80 home and then gave it a tune up and a good scrubbing. Going to get the title transferred and plates tomorrow. I really really hope that goes well because I h8 the bmv. and my aunt works there. lol On the to do list is a tranny fluid change and diff fluid change. as well as a valve adjustment. So far i love this truck!!!

I got the "new" to me 37 MTR's mounted on the H1 this week. On the way home from the cottage we stopped at my sisters. The nephew convinced me to take him for a ride to see how the new tires work....

:whoops:

So the 80 ended up playing rescue vehicle for a while. I was impressed with how well the 80 tugged on the Hummer, considering it weighs almost twice as much.

:princess: pretended to be very upset (she needs to see the Oscars), but seemed to enjoy snapping a few pics.

It is a fairly steep drop on the right into an old farm ditch. I just kept sliding sideways, and down every time the tires turned. There wasn't really anyway out of that, or else I would have just turned down into it.

I might have kept trying longer before going for the tow rig, but like I said, someone needed to get home to watch the Oscars. Good thing my sisters boyfriend is always up for a little adventure as well.

I am kind of notorious for taking off on adventures when I am supposed to be doing other things. :meh:

IMG_1494.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

Drained and replaced the power steering fluid in my 1997 80 series as well as my 2004 Toyota Tundra. Messy job, but glad I did it. I really should have done it sooner. Don't know why it wasn't on my baseline list when I bought the truck.

Both trucks had what looks like the original power steering fluid still in it. When I drained the Land Cruiser, the fluid was almost black. :bang: Shame on me.

Raising the front tires off the ground and with the return hose redirected to a catch pan, I cycled a few courts of Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF (turning the wheel back and forth) to clean out the system as best I could, before connecting everything back up.

Amazing that the Cruiser had no obvious power steering issues with that nasty fluid in there. Hopefully I will continue to be trouble free with the new stuff.

At least now I will sleep better at night. :)

I brought my new to me fj80 home and then gave it a tune up and a good scrubbing. Going to get the title transferred and plates tomorrow. I really really hope that goes well because I h8 the bmv. and my aunt works there. lol On the to do list is a tranny fluid change and diff fluid change. as well as a valve adjustment. So far i love this truck!!!

No your not they are not open on Monday. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom