What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (82 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Made a grinder caddy for cut off wheels and flap discs on trail.
20230826_202111.jpg

Went to carnegie to play a little and got some hits on the @delta skid plate.
20230826_140709.jpg

20230826_140617.jpg

20230826_185422.jpg

I had no idea this was a thing. I thought my battery is bad so I replaced it. To be fair, it did need to be replaced so that wasnt a waste, but then I kept having intermittent dead battery issues which was super bizarre because in my experience batteries don't suddenly charge themselves. Then I learned about a fusible link and upon inspection, I can see how that's suboptimal 😜

1000001953.jpg

I had no idea this was a thing. I thought my battery is bad so I replaced it. To be fair, it did need to be replaced so that wasnt a waste, but then I kept having intermittent dead battery issues which was super bizarre because in my experience batteries don't suddenly charge themselves. Then I learned about a fusible link and upon inspection, I can see how that's suboptimal 😜

View attachment 3412573

This is what I did for my fusible link. Takes some of the strain of the wires too.

IMG_2044.jpg
IMG_2045.jpg

Did a few things this weekend. First off, redid my exhaust manifold gasket for the third time. This time using two gaskets, new hardware, and factory torque specs. Cleaned the s*** out of all mating surfaces. There is still an exhaust leak some where :bang:
At this point I don't think its the manifold gasket. Must ether be a cracked header, one or both of the header to down pipe gaskets/flanges, or the welding on the down pipes I made cracked or is faulty in some other way. Or its not an exhaust leak at all....?
The sound goes away at about 2k RPM. Is this just what 3FEs always sound like? Are my valves really badly adjusted? Any thoughts?

Sound at idle from engine bay

Sound going away at 2k RPM

What ever it is, its driving me absolutely nucking futs! Making me consider an LS swap already.

Also took out one of the previous owners alarm system/remote start that was constantly locking me out of the car after turning the engine on, and I don't have a key fob for it. I don't even think the guy I bought the truck from knew it was installed because he didn't know why the car was locking him out all the time. Tested the sun roof drains, they work. Installed a BH3DPrinting cup holder. And lastly took out the cigarette lighter, and wired a dual USB plug in its place.

Last edited:
As @scottryana said, go for some heat if it won't destroy the paint/finish...the torch you show should be fine, but you need to heat the part that the race sits in, not the race itself or it'll just expand and get tighter. Also, use a proper brass drift or steel punch and a bigger hammer...most likely your screwdriver is absorbing too much of your hammer stroke power in the handle.
Amazing what a little heat and the right tools can do for ya!

Thanks @scottryana and @ETCruiser

IMG_7488.jpeg

View attachment 3412573
I just did the same - been having some really weird battery drain stuff going on and seeing this prompted me to finally get to mine - kinda of a pain to swap out if I’m honest with the rats nest of wires I got going on…

IMG_7499.jpeg

Cut fenders on my buddy's fj60. Practicing before I cut my 80.
  • 1st fender - just straight cut it and pie cut the fender wells -- the cut & arc was fairly clean
  • 2nd fender - cut off factory fender lip, micro pie cut the fender & hammer back, pie cut fender wells -- this was not as pretty but much stronger
Debating which approach to take on with my 80...

IMG_4401.jpeg

IMG_4407.jpeg

IMG_4412.jpeg

Last edited:
I just did the same - been having some really weird battery drain stuff going on and seeing this prompted me to finally get to mine - kinda of a pain to swap out if I’m honest with the rats nest of wires I got going on…

View attachment 3413194
So how would the fusible link in this condition cause battery drain? Did it fix the symptoms for both of you after replacing it?

So how would the fusible link in this condition cause battery drain? Did it fix the symptoms for both of you after replacing it?
Will report back - been chasing a gremlin and given all the stories of fusible links and the problems they can throw up i thought this was low hanging fruit - already checked for battery drain pulling fuses - seems okay…..

Went up near Mt. Rainier (Washington) with some friends for a 35 mile overland trail. Had a blast, saw some beautiful scenery, and had a great three days camping in a dispersed location.

We did a clean up after of the surrounding area, as well as some cleaning anytime we stopped to scout the trail. Remember, leave it better than you found it.

IMG_4496.jpeg

IMG_4478.jpeg

IMG_4445.jpeg

IMG_4493.jpeg

IMG_4494.jpeg

Did a few things this weekend. First off, redid my exhaust manifold gasket for the third time. This time using two gaskets, new hardware, and factory torque specs. Cleaned the s*** out of all mating surfaces. There is still an exhaust leak some where :bang:
At this point I don't think its the manifold gasket. Must ether be a cracked header, one or both of the header to down pipe gaskets/flanges, or the welding on the down pipes I made cracked or is faulty in some other way. Or its not an exhaust leak at all....?
The sound goes away at about 2k RPM. Is this just what 3FEs always sound like? Are my valves really badly adjusted? Any thoughts?

Sound at idle from engine bay

Sound going away at 2k RPM

What ever it is, its driving me absolutely nucking futs! Making me consider an LS swap already.

Also took out one of the previous owners alarm system/remote start that was constantly locking me out of the car after turning the engine on, and I don't have a key fob for it. I don't even think the guy I bought the truck from knew it was installed because he didn't know why the car was locking him out all the time. Tested the sun roof drains, they work. Installed a BH3DPrinting cup holder. And lastly took out the cigarette lighter, and wired a dual USB plug in its place.

Geez. I feel your frustration with 80’s and stuff like this. I’m no expert, but it sounds like exhaust to me. The reason is the sound is not going away above 2k rpm, but increasing in frequency to match motor speed, which makes me think leak exhaust somewhere.
Again, I could be wrong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom