What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (34 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trying to get over being sick. The lingering cough sucks. I felt good enough to go to the range with my son to function test my freshly re-barreled AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmore and zero a few of his guns, but not good enough to train for IDPA/USPSA styles of shooting. After the range, we took our dogs to the field to exercise them. He’s the reason I have my Land Cruiser. I had an ‘83 Toyota pickup that I purchased new. I sold it to my dad with 165,000 mi on it. He drove it for years. While he had it, a city bus sideswiped the bed. He ended up selling it to my sister. She drove it for a long time, and a couple of my nieces and a nephew learned to drive it. My dad bought it back, and I finally got it back from him with the intention of it becoming a father-son rebuild project. My son learned to off-road in it. When he came home on a break from West Point, he convinced me that if we bought a Land Cruiser, we would have 2/3 of a convoy that we might see in Afghanistan or Iraq. He’s been loyal to Toyota ever since that first pickup. He is convinced that he will drive his Tundra forever. I believe him.

9C15CC61-20B3-4D3B-8F1B-F3E9A151F5C6.jpeg

9EF5205E-69F4-4CE5-9ADF-76E8DD143E33.jpeg

D380899F-43FD-455B-BE61-FEB4BDE14616.jpeg

I did a few suspension tweaks on mine...PO had installed the OME 2" kit that included the poly caster correction bushings. Let me say that I wasn't "unhappy" with the ride or handling to start with. It was well mannered and my wife and I drove it home from AZ last summer 3k miles to the east coast, and she even commented on how comfortable it was on the road trip. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and I saw in another thread that the @Delta VS 3" Radius Arms were in stock that I've had my eye on, so I jumped on it. I ordered them plus a few other parts and all were shipped same day and to me in about a week to MD.

Fast forward to installation and I did the rear panhard lift bracket and drop bump stop spacers first since I could do those hanging out of the back of the garage. First impression was better road manners, so a score there!

Next up this past weekend and my adult son had some time to help with the radius arm install. I could have easily done it myself, but he loves wrenching too (I taught him well!), so I let him do the full crawl under to handle that end of things. Installation was what I would call a breeze for suspension parts and everything is very well engineered (did the front sway drop brackets too). In the pics, you can see the additional correction that these provide over the OME poly bushings. I will say that I am even happier now with the comfort and handling with these installed. Steering is even better, ride is firm but not harsh as it was before, and I'm looking forward to the additional front flex when I take it to WVA this weekend for some trail work. 100% would recommend all of these parts for even a mildly lifted rig, thanks @Delta VS again for some great products!

Last edited:
Replaced the shift solenoids in my 94. Lost second gear almost completely a little over a week ago and only had first when I shifted manually down to it. New filter while I was at it. So nice to be able to drive it again.

Finished the installation of the OME stock height springs and OEM Tokico shocks. Found a nail in one of the tires so had that patched. Truck drove well before and now it feels great. Wife isn't super impressed with ride quality but like most people they have high expectations for a solid axle truck driving on s***ty urban roads. I'm pretty stoked on how level it looks and drives.
PXL_20230311_203112718.jpg

Finished the installation of the OME stock height springs and OEM Tokico shocks. Found a nail in one of the tires so had that patched. Truck drove well before and now it feels great. Wife isn't super impressed with ride quality but like most people they have high expectations for a solid axle truck driving on s***ty urban roads. I'm pretty stoked on how level it looks and drives. View attachment 3271193

I had to go out to my mom's place on Saturday to do some work in storage and on her house...so, I naturally took my '97 LC instead of my '11 Avalon (for storage reasons ;) ) - once everything was finished I took her out to dinner. She hasn't been in my 80 other than to start it when I kept it at her place to make sure the battery was good...the last 80 series she was in was my dad's '94 before someone made an illegal turn in front of him and it was totaled. And she loved how that '94 rode. She also loves the way the 60 rides that's in her driveway...but she commented how comfortable my 80 is...and that's with stock 1997 suspension and 222,xxx miles!

"Rides better than my Subaru," she commented. "Didn't expect that. And it's more comfy than you dad's was."

And the timing to that...that day was the anniversary of my dad going into cardiac arrest and having to go to the hospital...seven years ago. Kinda like he was looking over her shoulder and just saying "hi" :)

Finished the installation of the OME stock height springs and OEM Tokico shocks. Found a nail in one of the tires so had that patched. Truck drove well before and now it feels great. Wife isn't super impressed with ride quality but like most people they have high expectations for a solid axle truck driving on s***ty urban roads. I'm pretty stoked on how level it looks and drives. View attachment 3271193

That spring / shock combo is seriously underrated. I ran mine that way for a few years and it was awesome, everyone who rode in it was surprised... it road so good i sold my 100

I did a few suspension tweaks on mine...PO had installed the OME 2" kit that included the poly caster correction bushings. Let me say that I wasn't "unhappy" with the ride or handling to start with. It was well mannered and my wife and I drove it home from AZ last summer 3k miles to the east coast, and she even commented on how comfortable it was on the road trip. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and I saw in another thread that the @Delta VS 3" Radius Arms were in stock that I've had my eye on, so I jumped on it. I ordered them plus a few other parts and all were shipped same day and to me in about a week to MD.

Fast forward to installation and I did the rear panhard lift bracket and drop bump stop spacers first since I could do those hanging out of the back of the garage. First impression was better road manners, so a score there!

Next up this past weekend and my adult son had some time to help with the radius arm install. I could have easily done it myself, but he loves wrenching too (I taught him well!), so I let him do the full crawl under to handle that end of things. Installation was what I would call a breeze for suspension parts and everything is very well engineered (did the front sway drop brackets too). In the pics, you can see the additional correction that these provide over the OME poly bushings. I will say that I am even happier now with the comfort and handling with these installed. Steering is even better, ride is firm but not harsh as it was before, and I'm looking forward to the additional front flex when I take it to WVA this weekend for some trail work. 100% would recommend all of these parts for even a mildly lifted rig, thanks @Delta VS again for some great products!

Thxs for posting. I have the Delta/Icon (stage 1) package on order and reading this helps solidify that I made the right decision…. I just hope it ships soon!!

Refreshed the lift to accommodate the 37s.

Stayed with Dobinsons:
  • OLD - C59-166 (front) and C59-167 (rear)
  • NEW - C59-170 (front) and C59-171 (rear)
I immediately gained about 1.5" over the previous lift but we'll see what the final is once everything settles a bit. Top - new, bottom - old.

New Lift.jpeg

Trying to get over being sick. The lingering cough sucks. I felt good enough to go to the range with my son to function test my freshly re-barreled AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmore and zero a few of his guns, but not good enough to train for IDPA/USPSA styles of shooting. After the range, we took our dogs to the field to exercise them. He’s the reason I have my Land Cruiser. I had an ‘83 Toyota pickup that I purchased new. I sold it to my dad with 165,000 mi on it. He drove it for years. While he had it, a city bus sideswiped the bed. He ended up selling it to my sister. She drove it for a long time, and a couple of my nieces and a nephew learned to drive it. My dad bought it back, and I finally got it back from him with the intention of it becoming a father-son rebuild project. My son learned to off-road in it. When he came home on a break from West Point, he convinced me that if we bought a Land Cruiser, we would have 2/3 of a convoy that we might see in Afghanistan or Iraq. He’s been loyal to Toyota ever since that first pickup. He is convinced that he will drive his Tundra forever. I believe him.

View attachment 3270955

View attachment 3270956

View attachment 3270957
2" lift and 285's or 305's on your LC?

Nice pics!

Refreshed the lift to accommodate the 37s.

Stayed with Dobinsons:
  • OLD - C59-166 (front) and C59-167 (rear)
  • NEW - C59-170 (front) and C59-171 (rear)
I immediately gained about 1.5" over the previous lift but we'll see what the final is once everything settles a bit. Top - new, bottom - old.

View attachment 3272087
That's a pretty big difference. Did you only change the springs or you had to change things like caster?

That's a pretty big difference. Did you only change the springs or you had to change things like caster?
I already had a 2" lift on it so I only swapped springs. For caster, I had previously added the @eimkeith RAM mounts - I HIGHLY recommend them. Very well engineered, easy to install, and also moves the axle forward ~1" or so. I will be installing 2.5deg Dobinsons rubber caster bushings later this week while refreshing all suspension bushings.

Almost done with the hidden winch, going for the clean factory look. Only thing left to do is cutting the bumper for the fairlead and connecting the winch to the battery.
What box did you use for the controller?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom