What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (51 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

She’s a plug in hybrid:
38289B2D-AB3E-45F5-82AB-7AF8DA6F5B9A.jpeg

Didn't do anything with mine this past weekend but did get out to the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum while I was in town. Very cool place to visit with some awesome trucks. Picked up some swag too of course.

View attachment 3241902
I work 5 minutes from here, and have never been. Finally went last week - man, it is amazing. Love looking at the old 40's and the variants. They have some modern 70's too, which I have never seen since they are illegal to import. Apparently they have some special licensing for museums that allows them to have a handful of 70's on hand.

The super cruisers were also very cool - like an extra wide hummer.

Changed out the wheels and tires to a newer 4Runner alloy; changed the battery terminals which solved a hard start problem. Now I need to repaint the front bumper and replace the front diff.

Picture of how it looked last weekend compared to this weekend

43D8339B-51F2-42CB-9E79-B326DB1B16D8.jpeg

F2E912BB-B479-4428-B2B1-AB3E96358C34.jpeg

Get you a front Delta and you can run in a NOCO and pass through the bumper.

Too simple to just tuck the pug behind the headlight when not needed, I am a creature of laziness :)

:lol: Not necessary a bad thing and might save you $1000's and months of waiting!
I like my coastal bumper anyways. It was cheaper and way lower profile. Plus i got to weld it myself and i’m proud of it :)

Hit some deep drifts today.

D44AC884-5166-4FB6-9172-1EC05070A4FF.jpeg
72459109-F878-4915-8F32-680126019418.jpeg
5344B114-D98C-47B6-B9E5-E03BF833C2B1.jpeg

Friday I went to the Auto Electrical shop…and I couldn’t be happier.
This was a big one off the “To Do” list for me.
Shout out to the shop I went to who deals specifically with auto electrics. The three guys there have a combined 100+ years of working in the auto industry, predominantly on auto electronics.

Three hours and the electrical issue was resolved. NO MORE GREMLINS! I’ve had the Land Cruiser almost 8 years and except for a brief moment after it coming home, the windows have never gone down. The sunroof hasn’t opened, either. The radio would occasionally work but a few years ago it just completely stopped. The clock would work from time to time, same with the cigarette lighter (for charging)…gauges would work but not the gauge lughts. AC controls all worked and so did those lights…door lights worked but two of the three dome lights wouldn’t…door locks would lock themselves…mirrors wouldn’t move…a whole bunch of electrical gremlins seemed to have found a home…and they weren’t really a huge thing to me at the time because she wasn’t my DD, and I wasn’t in a position, financially, to chase long electrical issues. But my career took a major upswing two years ago and I’ve been baselining her since…so, this past Friday it was time to get the electronics fixed for peace of mind.

In the span of three hours…fixed.
The problem?

Water corrosion…mostly. Which was due to the sunroof not being sealed due to it not having power. All of the behind the dash, at the kick panel, and at the fuse box electrical points were corroded due to water intrusion…they’re cleaned now and with power restored to the sunroof, the 1/16 inch that was opened (and flex taped) is now sealed…so, electrical connection points were cleaned of corrosion, a relay which was bad was replaced, and we found WHY the P.O. placed a circuit breaker buss in the fuse panel; a wire in the door panel wiring loom. The entire loom had popped free from its connecting plastic river and landed on the edge side of the door sheet metal… after almost thirty years, or however long, the vibrations cut through the loom and just happened to cut through that specific wire…and when the hot wire hit the metal, BAM! it finally fried everything. Hence the breaker. Before finally frying everything it would make contact and simply short things out…hence the intermittent stereo and clock.

Fuse connections were found to be “widened” so that was corrected also.

It’s all fixed.

I cannot begin to explain how happy I am.

33E7EB7E-451E-4547-93C4-15B19801CAD4.jpeg

A79984A0-E6AD-433A-ACF4-FCBCB7A8FB67.jpeg

239C7823-2A43-40B3-B66E-4021076BBE7C.jpeg

A0BFA391-30E4-48C1-82CC-C88AC8017389.jpeg

68B11372-BC99-4FF5-AE6A-AFCBB8A03F11.jpeg

And a few more photos and video.

Since he had the cluster out, he went ahead and replaced all the bulbs as the originals “looked real tired”.

D0CD014C-AF72-4235-8B52-89B7B0C63F5F.jpeg

3154D119-9FF4-4482-AFBD-0A47928ED19E.jpeg

Friday I went to the Auto Electrical shop…and I couldn’t be happier.
This was a big one off the “To Do” list for me.
Shout out to the shop I went to who deals specifically with auto electrics. The three guys there have a combined 100+ years of working in the auto industry, predominantly on auto electronics.

Three hours and the electrical issue was resolved. NO MORE GREMLINS! I’ve had the Land Cruiser almost 8 years and except for a brief moment after it coming home, the windows have never gone down. The sunroof hasn’t opened, either. The radio would occasionally work but a few years ago it just completely stopped. The clock would work from time to time, same with the cigarette lighter (for charging)…gauges would work but not the gauge lughts. AC controls all worked and so did those lights…door lights worked but two of the three dome lights wouldn’t…door locks would lock themselves…mirrors wouldn’t move…a whole bunch of electrical gremlins seemed to have found a home…and they weren’t really a huge thing to me at the time because she wasn’t my DD, and I wasn’t in a position, financially, to chase long electrical issues. But my career took a major upswing two years ago and I’ve been baselining her since…so, this past Friday it was time to get the electronics fixed for peace of mind.

In the span of three hours…fixed.
The problem?

Water corrosion…mostly. Which was due to the sunroof not being sealed due to it not having power. All of the behind the dash, at the kick panel, and at the fuse box electrical points were corroded due to water intrusion…they’re cleaned now and with power restored to the sunroof, the 1/16 inch that was opened (and flex taped) is now sealed…so, electrical connection points were cleaned of corrosion, a relay which was bad was replaced, and we found WHY the P.O. placed a circuit breaker buss in the fuse panel; a wire in the door panel wiring loom. The entire loom had popped free from its connecting plastic river and landed on the edge side of the door sheet metal… after almost thirty years, or however long, the vibrations cut through the loom and just happened to cut through that specific wire…and when the hot wire hit the metal, BAM! it finally fried everything. Hence the breaker. Before finally frying everything it would make contact and simply short things out…hence the intermittent stereo and clock.

Fuse connections were found to be “widened” so that was corrected also.

It’s all fixed.

I cannot begin to explain how happy I am.

View attachment 3246442

View attachment 3246443

View attachment 3246444

View attachment 3246445

View attachment 3246446
Sometimes it's better to pay the professionals 🤣

Sometimes it's better to pay the professionals 🤣
Yes.
40 years ago, I remember sitting on passenger side of my dads FJ40 as he chased wires…one inch at a time. It’s something he LOATHED. I’m the same way. This shop was recommended to me by my LC specific shop and they did not disappoint 👍

I’m going write up a full Google and Yelp review on how happy I am with the work done. Such a great shop and great people too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom