What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (25 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wheeled, and camped near bear valley Ca.
On my way back from a trip and some mild trail running at corrall hallow and some off shoots one of my KO2s blew up on the freeway.

The tires are 3 years old w only 10k miles, with most of those miles being regular everyday driving. The freeway where tire failed was smooth, did not run over anything, tire pressure was my usual 38 psi.
On the trails there was nothing I feel should have damaged the integrity of the tire so seems like a manufacturer defect.

Anyone ever experience anything like this? This is my first, and fortunately it was a rear tire.

I'm now also concerned that the other 3 tires may also be prone to failing in a similar manner.

20220625_193347.jpg

On my way back from a trip and some mild trail running at corrall hallow and some off shoots one of my KO2s blew up on the freeway.

The tires are 3 years old w only 10k miles, with most of those miles being regular everyday driving. The freeway where tire failed was smooth, did not run over anything, tire pressure was my usual 38 psi.
On the trails there was nothing I feel should have damaged the integrity of the tire so seems like a manufacturer defect.

Anyone ever experience anything like this? This is my first, and fortunately it was a rear tire.

I'm now also concerned that the other 3 tires may also be prone to failing in a similar manner.

View attachment 3045480

What’s the DOT production stamp on tire(s)?

View attachment 3045480
A sidewall tear from your trail rides can get this failure started.
However, three years old with only 10k miles... You're not driving them enough.
Is your truck parked outside in the sun?
I would inspect the other tires for hardened rubber or cracks.

That almost looks like a failure from under-inflation.

A sidewall tear from your trail rides can get this failure started.
However, three years old with only 10k miles... You're not driving them enough.
Is your truck parked outside in the sun?
I would inspect the other tires for hardened rubber or cracks.
I aired down to 20psI when I was off road, when I aired back up (38PSI), I looked at the tires and there were nor are any noticeable signs of tears on the Side walls not cracks in the tread. As far as I can tell the tires look to be a good shape or same as when I got them installed new. I’ll check again thanks for the suggestion. The Cruiser does stay parked outside sometimes for at most a week at a time.
as far as sun exposure- I life in San Francisco and if you have ever visited SF you know that sun is a rare commodity ;) .
thanks for your response and suggestion

I had a set of KO2s on my 5th gen 4runner. at around 20k I could not get them to balance even after letting 3 different tire shops try. It was discovered that 3 of 4 had significant tread separation. The Manager said they've seen a lot of separation and some blow outs like yours with the ko2's. He said he no longer recommends them and calls them "square tires".

The Manager said they've seen a lot of separation and some blow outs like yours with the ko2's. He said he no longer recommends them and calls them "square tires".
David, no shade being thrown at you, friend, but that's a load of bollocks. Car forums never fail to provide a heaping of binary anecdotes regarding tires, oil and cell service providers.

BFG KO2s continue to sell by the hundreds of thousands all over the globe closing in on a decade direct to consumer and OEM, is hands down the best selling AT, yet according to this Manager he's seen a lot of separation and calls them, what, square? lol C'mon, man.

Normally I don't put much stock in a tire store managers advice but since my personal experience supported his words I tended to believe him.
I had a poor enough experience that I will never buy them again. You are free to ignore my comments if you wish.

Hey CruiserDan- 38PSI too low?
No, it's not. However it is possible that you somehow lost air pressure after you re-inflated it. I'm not a tire expert but I have seen a failure similar to that on an under-inflated tire.

This does not mean I'm right in this case. Simply a possible explanation.

Normally I don't put much stock in a tire store managers advice but since my personal experience supported his words I tended to believe him.
I had a poor enough experience that I will never buy them again. You are free to ignore my comments if you wish.

Did you buy the tires new and if so what was the DOT time stamp on them? I'm presuming you got them warrantied by BFG for the failure...

No, it's not. However it is possible that you somehow lost air pressure after you re-inflated it. I'm not a tire expert but I have seen a failure similar to that on an under-inflated tire.

Also for consideration should be the method of inflation - if using CO2 tank know that eventually you will lose PSI in that tire. Always be cautious, check pressure and reinflate as needed if using CO2 to air up tires.

Did you buy the tires new and if so what was the DOT time stamp on them? I'm presuming you got them warrantied by BFG for the failure...
Yep, bought them new. When I get a chance I'll look at the DOT time stamp and post it.
I'm working BFG and costco on the warranty. I'm the process I've learned that because a tire shop sells BFGs, they are not necessarily a BFG authorized dealer. Makes sense but had not previously considered that.
In any case because In this case costco is not an authorized BFG dealer the warranty process is a bit more involved. BFG person said that while I'm at costco and they are inspecting the tires for them to call BFG to answer some questions in order for BFG to cover the tire. Hope that helps anyone else who needs to deal w tire warranty.

Thanks Sir, not ruling anything out at this point. I'm stil a little in disbelief w the blow-out and how destroyed the tire is. I've had K02s in my previous 4runner for years and years on the same set and never had an issue.

Also for consideration should be the method of inflation - if using CO2 tank know that eventually you will lose PSI in that tire. Always be cautious, check pressure and reinflate as needed if using CO2 to air up tires.
Inflated w a compressor not CO2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom