What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (65 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A friend of mine told me that they (dealerships) will never go back to the model having lots of cars around the lot. It is a burdensome cost and the insurance on all of those cars costs a fortune (hail damage). In the current environment, a buyer cannot demand a car with specific features. The dealer tells them what is coming in and gives them a price if they want to secure it. Profits have never been better and there is no haggling. You want the car or you don't. It is a significant reversal in leverage in auto transactions where buyers could search the internet for a specific vehicle and then get pricing from several dealers.
I don't believe it. At some point supply normalizes, there is inventory to choose from and we'll swing back to a sellers market. Car dealerships that gouged the hell out of their customers through the pandemic will be remembered by customers and likely suffer more than dealerships who were more reasonable. Shareholders of manufacturers will force those companies to drive their production levels back to pre pandemic levels after supply chains have fully normalized to maintain (or grow) market share and dealerships electing not to carry stock on their lots will lose sales to their competitors who can sell something to the customer same day.

I think the change we may start to see is more direct to customer sales like the Tesla model. I agree that customers are more used to shopping online these days, but that doesn't favor a dealer who forces you to buy from stock they have coming, that favors a model where there are no dealers.

And since this is the Tech forum - Thanks to whom ever recommended the Lloyd Mats cargo liner. It fits great!
PXL_20220625_141609891.jpg

A friend of mine told me that they (dealerships) will never go back to the model having lots of cars around the lot. It is a burdensome cost and the insurance on all of those cars costs a fortune (hail damage). In the current environment, a buyer cannot demand a car with specific features. The dealer tells them what is coming in and gives them a price if they want to secure it. Profits have never been better and there is no haggling. You want the car or you don't. It is a significant reversal in leverage in auto transactions where buyers could search the internet for a specific vehicle and then get pricing from several dealers.

It's been reported that ford doesn't intend to keep that kind of inventory.

I think the change we may start to see is more direct to customer sales like the Tesla model. I agree that customers are more used to shopping online these days, but that doesn't favor a dealer who forces you to buy from stock they have coming, that favors a model where there are no dealers.
There are laws in place and typically dealer franchise agreements that prevent it.

I have a friend that owns a dealer in Kansas. He said he welcomes fords attempt so he can sue and retire.

There are laws in place and typically dealer franchise agreements that prevent it.

I have a friend that owns a dealer in Kansas. He said he welcomes fords attempt so he can sue and retire.
Tesla has been busily undoing State laws ... And never underestimate Corporate Lawyers.

Tesla has been busily undoing State laws ... And never underestimate Corporate Lawyers.

Recent judicial activity suggests things that one wouldn't think change, do.

That all works in the dealer’s favor while supply is restricted due to component shortages. Once the supply chain eases then auto manufacturers have massive plants to utilize. Utilization of fixed assets becomes a priority. A big factory is a beast that must be fed with volume or it quickly consumes the bottom line. It just takes one manufacturer to pivot toward market share growth and then they all must follow (with the exception of those that have a particularly compelling product).

28ABDED8-3475-425B-A4A8-11C81EFB84DE.jpeg

89DE8364-7D74-47A4-8B7E-1C3B644DDE25.jpeg

Had the car washed for the first time in its life, I think the car was smiling at me for doing that.

I mean nothing spectacular but honestly some of dirt had to be removed with grit paper.

I also swapped the batteries as the main was constantly losing charge, I think i need to do some further investigation.

Bought a small water pump so i can setup a DIY water tank with a house and a small motor.

Fixed my old solar panel (20watts) with new cables and got it ready for some trials, I will be getting bigger panels at some stage as I need to be able to run 12V fridge and keep batteries filled even when im not using the car.

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-24 at 11.18.38 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-24 at 11.18.57 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-24 at 11.18.57 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-24 at 11.18.58 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-24 at 11.19.28 PM.jpeg

Oh yah the out of color panel belongs to a 97 model .... another task on the todo list .....

Modified the exhaust I put on a few weeks back. The bend in front of the resonator was several inches forward of where the previous tailpipe bent (same part from Rockauto). Even going around a round-a-bout caused the tires to scrub so no way in hell it was going to be fine taking it offroad. So I cut and welded it a few inches rearward. Problem solved. Tomorrow it's sandblasting the rear bumper, reworking the swingouts w/ 4x Innovations hinges and repainting.

That all works in the dealer’s favor while supply is restricted due to component shortages. Once the supply chain eases then auto manufacturers have massive plants to utilize. Utilization of fixed assets becomes a priority. A big factory is a beast that must be fed with volume or it quickly consumes the bottom line. It just takes one manufacturer to pivot toward market share growth and then they all must follow (with the exception of those that have a particularly compelling product).

View attachment 3042920

View attachment 3042921
The literature from ford states they intend to go on a limited stock order model. So the factory will be building the same volume but more cara will be ordered vice on lot stock. My dealer friends are excited because they'll sit on inventory for less time and incur less cost.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom