What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (38 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Emptied a rattle can onto the new bumper for now and put all the stuff on it just so I could enjoy driving around for a bit while thinking of any last changes before committing to raptor.

full
I'm a fan of the Raptor liner, but not so sure about it being used on the bumpers.

Emptied a rattle can onto the new bumper for now and put all the stuff on it just so I could enjoy driving around for a bit while thinking of any last changes before committing to raptor.

full
How do you like those 1 piece headlights?

How do you like those 1 piece headlights?
They were on it when I got it, so I've been with them for 50,000km. No moisture, no cracks. Original light output was garbage, but the low beams are protector housings so i put hids in and they work well now. I don't use the high beams cause they're still halogen. The little leds and halos are chintzy looking, and I would never have bought them based on that fact alone. But, they're there and work well enough so for now they stay.

I know how hard it is to capture lightening in a pic. Even if you vid then select a screenshot. AZ monsoon has some amazing lightening shows that I’ve tried to capture, over the past few seasons. Very cool!!
Haha, I didn't even think of taking a video. I just snapped about 300 random photos out the windshield while I was driving home. The fact that I actually captured two strikes shows how crazy the storm was.

Brought my daughter out to college in California. She’s trying hard to fit in, but along comes a jeep.

0278BB0B-66FC-48F0-97EC-AFF3A7691636.jpeg

But I did see this.
642D74F8-28FF-4B54-9E83-7CFA20B8C18C.jpeg

Last edited:
Bought a 23ft boat.. today was the 1st time I towed it with the 80. Did MUCH better than anticipated w/ the trailer/boat at around 5,500lbs.

I am contemplating upgrading to a 100 series so this is an easier task.. but I'm surprised at the 80. Some airbags in the rear would help. However., going uphill was a completely different story.. so underpowered lol. But it made it to the top.. all that matters.

20210822_113516.jpg

Bought a 23ft boat.. today was the 1st time I towed it with the 80. Did MUCH better than anticipated w/ the trailer/boat at around 5,500lbs.

I am contemplating upgrading to a 100 series so this is an easier task.. but I'm surprised at the 80. Some airbags in the rear would help. However., going uphill was a completely different story.. so underpowered lol. But it made it to the top.. all that matters.

View attachment 2766625
I was using low range unless it was on the highway, automatic with part time kit.

2016-01-06 18.10.08.jpg

View attachment 2766625
I tow this at 26’ and it has 1500 lbs just in the keel. I also use low range when I’m not on the freeway.
C4FEDA9B-CC61-49C0-9EF5-CACA94E37BDA.jpeg

Replaced rotors and pads due to some nasty warping/shimmy under braking. I had put 100 series pads and new rotors on two years ago, and I guess I missed the suggestion to go with slotted rotors for 100 series pads due to heat concerns...or it just didn't work out.
Also put in the Trailgear Spindle nut kit, jury is still out on this but I do like not messing with bending those tabs again.
1629691699345.png

Unfortunately Trail Gear forgot the screws in the kit they sent me, so I had to improvise with some 12mm long ones (spec calls for 10mm) that we found at Lowes.
1629691797868.png

I added another washer to help offset the length (was worried the longer bolt might push on the thrust washer and mess up the bearing preload, but it actually seemed like the 2mm was fine--the bolts I found were Phillips screws not cap bolts like the kit was supposed to come with, so spindle cap interference wasn't an issue.)
1629691860844.png

Only thing left to be ready for our Labor Day trip is to get a new nut for the steering stabilizer, it fell off offroad on our last camping trip (I ziptied it in and it's held since...seems like the steering stabilizer on our rigs doesn't really do much.)

Splitting it from the T-case while still in the truck is a breeze. So is the “rebuild”. It’s only one bearing.

Good luck. I swapped the factory bearing at 260,000mi “while I was in there” it looked pristine. Swapped it again recently because of the growl I can’t figure out and and it didn’t change a thing.
Did you change out your U-Joints as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom