What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (91 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New intake tube
29DDD662-AE46-4BBF-9314-F04F60134F29.jpeg

Replaced the failed brake booster on my '97. The new pedal feel compared to the old pedal feel makes it's clear that the old booster has been having issues since I got the truck. I had replaced calipers, soft lines, master cyl, rotors, lspv, etc. and done thorough bleeding/etc. but my pedal had always been a bit softer than I liked.

The recent booster failure came in the form of frequent lack of boost (ie. a very hard brake pedal) that was semi unpredictable the few times that I drove the truck. Was pretty sketchy to drive in city traffic when I didn't know if the pedal was going to be hard or soft from one push to the next.

I went with a new Seiken booster which is referenced here on mud in a number of threads. The stampings etc. match the old one that I removed and believe was the OE/OG booster for the truck. The stickers were different between OE/OG and the new Seiken booster. I don't understand the specifics but think that while it's possible that the Seiken is functionally equivalent that it's not truly OE or OEM. See @Onur 's comments on this topic as I'm sure he knows the differences etc. I can at least confirm that the stickers are different but the rest matches visually.

I got the Seiken booster from PartsGeek.com for $294 plus shipping at part number: Seiken W0133-1740427

OEM booster part number I believe is: 44610-60792

New booster in, brakes are better than ever and pedal feels much firmer and like I think it should.

Old booster:

20210419_131855.jpg

20210419_131902.jpg

New Booster:

20210419_131844.jpg

Thoroughly washed it, to a ridiculous degree. Comparison from off roading results from a few weeks ago vs. how it turned out today. PLUS I've gotta plug Adam's Undercarriage Spray. Holy crap, that stuff is wild. My rig looks like a complete mall crawler now, because the axles look better than most cars' paint 😂

Might have to try out this Adam's undercarriage spray! We'll see how long it lasts.

Haven't done any cosmetic upgrades in a few years with all the focus on suspension and drivetrain so decided to start with a little facelift.

This is definitely one of those love-it-or-hate-it mods, personally I love it. Just doing a mock up here, nothing is bolted down yet...

cuMGkXfh.jpg

Last edited:
Bled the super nasty brake fluid. I'm sure it's never been done. The Motive products pressure bleeder worked great. The rear bleeders wouldn't allow fluid to come out so I had to take them out and clean then and then they finally allowed brake fluid to flow. That's how nasty the fluid was. Weird tho that the rear brakes started flowing cleanly a lot quicker than the fronts. The fronts purged a lot of dirty fluid before it came clean.

IMG_20210418_115421.jpg

IMG_20210418_121040.jpg

IMG_20210418_121128.jpg

IMG_20210418_121700.jpg

I swapped in a new accelerator cable from PartSouq. I can't tell much of a difference while driving, but it looks much nicer!

Might have to try out this Adam's undercarriage spray! We'll see how long it lasts.

I'm curious about that as well. Guess we'll find out! Supposedly it's infused with some silicon materials, which are supposed to repel dust and water and such, so I hope it lasts at least a little while. I also got some Rustoleum undercoating to do the wheel arches in a somewhat more permanent way, since there's paint showing through. But this stuff seems perfect if you ever want a quick spray on product to strut your stuff for a night on the town. Again, mall crawler territory here, but our rigs are handsome boys and we should let them preen every once in a while :beer:

Use this stuff for your boot sole's.View attachment 2650017

Haha, I actually have some of that in the garage from some of past leather projects.

I decided to keep the boots, but the soles are basically worn out so I am just going to take them to a local boot repair guy.

A few weeks ago I tried on a pair of Crispi boots and they felt so amazing. I am going to try and buy a pair of the crispi's and save these old Hanwag's as back ups.

Bled the super nasty brake fluid. I'm sure it's never been done. The Motive products pressure bleeder worked great. The rear bleeders wouldn't allow fluid to come out so I had to take them out and clean then and then they finally allowed brake fluid to flow. That's how nasty the fluid was. Weird tho that the rear brakes started flowing cleanly a lot quicker than the fronts. The fronts purged a lot of dirty fluid before it came clean.

View attachment 2650296

View attachment 2650299

View attachment 2650300

View attachment 2650306

I had bought one of those years ago to bleed the brakes on my Civic that I use to road race. Best purchase I ever made.

So YOU'RE part of why it took so long to get my tires!!! Look at that stack on the right!

J/K. I know you're running 13.50s anyway. As luck would have it, I now have 6. Amazon, well UPS, lost one, cancelled it with Amazon, re-ordered, next day the lost one showed up via FedEx plus the new one I ordered two days later. I talked to Amazon and they said keep it. No need to return and thanks for being honest. o_O
That stack (other than the top one) is my old set that will be making their way to my son's 1UZ swapped minitruck. :) They we're ordered at least two years ago. But the current set on the 80 were put on last fall so maybe they contributed to the shortage.

Fixed trip meter, there is a tiny pin which is designed to reset the numbers and needs to slide into the slot of trip reset shaft.

I need to pull mine apart and see if it is something this simple. Can't worry about fuel mileage if you don't have a trip meter to keep track of it, though. 😁

I wanted to make some stainless guides for the lock pins on my rear bumper but I couldn't find any small sheets of stainless locally. Necessity begats creativity. Bought a small stainless finishing trowel and cut the shape I needed for the plates. Simple but effective. Sure would be nice to have a CNC laser cutter though.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom