What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (72 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New rock lights
B122FC35-1864-487B-A909-1653185017C9.jpeg

Entirely cosmetic, but like a doofus I scratched my front driver’s side bumper a few weeks ago on the brick outside of my garage. It had been annoying me as a reminder each time I got in. So - new bumper end, scratches gone!
5E3AA8A2-9B58-4B5F-B3E7-AE50902529FC.jpeg

Thoroughly washed it, to a ridiculous degree. Comparison from off roading results from a few weeks ago vs. how it turned out today. PLUS I've gotta plug Adam's Undercarriage Spray. Holy crap, that stuff is wild. My rig looks like a complete mall crawler now, because the axles look better than most cars' paint 😂

IMG-7898.jpg

IMG-7899.jpg

IMG-7900.jpg

Untitled.png

95 locked 80 my son's rig.
Swapped out ECU and no more check engine light, though I could get the old one to boot up occasionally.
Replaced the "D" light.
Fixed oil pressure gauge by a little bending.
Fixed trip meter, there is a tiny pin which is designed to reset the numbers and needs to slide into the slot of trip reset shaft.
Changed drivers power seat gears.
Ripped out the security system and redundant wiring.
Took my time, drank coffee, worked outside with my tools handy on a table and a nice stump for a seat when needed.

Went to @fourtrax and @4LowandSlow house to lend a hand with whatever they got going on. What really happens is that they are always helping me instead. @Suburbanlegend stopped by for some quick fixes and took a few pics.

We added the Slee 4" caster correction, and Whiteline heavy duty rear sway bar. @2KCruiser had the sway bars in stock, so bought the front and rear.
Your air bags look a bit short. Also looks like you didn't trim yous rear bump stops. Do they work ok this way? I'm getting another set with my suspension refresh and may go a bit shorter if this works well. Maybe its just the camera angle?

Your air bags look a bit short. Also looks like you didn't trim yous rear bump stops. Do they work ok this way? I'm getting another set with my suspension refresh and may go a bit shorter if this works well. Maybe its just the camera angle?
Depends which bump stops you are referring to. I took out the bump stops inside the rear springs, and the others in the wheel well are extended.

The bags are Air Lift. Supposed to help with towing and sag. This was the kit for my LC, but now Google'ing I see there are some different bag. I don't tow, and never had a problem with these. If I ever get more springs or bored enough, I'll put the original bump stops back in

Cool, I think it was the camera angle. I was referring to the internal spring BS's. They looked OEM length. Figured you had to remove or shave them for the bags. Looking good, wish I could get my suspension back together, hoping the springs show soon so I can get back to taking it out again. last piece to the puzzle, I think...:hmm:

Cool, I think it was the camera angle. I was referring to the internal spring BS's. They looked OEM length. Figured you had to remove or shave them for the bags. Looking good, wish I could get my suspension back together, hoping the springs show soon so I can get back to taking it out again. last piece to the puzzle, I think...:hmm:
Thanks for the additional eyes though. Good to have others see things that I may not of noticed.

I was going to clean the rig today..... Than I decided to go hiking, coyote hunting, do some general exploring, and look for some deer sheds instead.

This has been the worst year for coyotes I have ever seen. This is the 7th time I have been out calling this season and still no dogs. No deer sheds either. But I did find a little cave to go back and explore when I am not alone....
20210418_124606.jpg

20210418_122801.jpg

20210418_164112.jpg

Spot the cruiser!!!!

20210418_162727.jpg

No flat tires but I did get a flat boot 🤣. These Hanwag boots have been great but I think they are officially done for.

20210418_164527.jpg

My wife picked up her new '21 Tundra Pro on Friday, and wanted to immediately take it to gravel and snow. So, I followed her into the mountains in my Cruiser with the traction mats, recovery kit, winch and emergency beers, just in case things went sideways. This being SW Montana, it wasn't too far until we found a dusty gravel road and an unplowed snowmobile route for her to get some off-pavement miles in her new ride. And no recovery needed, the shift on-the-fly 4x4 system works like a charm in that thing.

She still hasn't let me drive it yet.

IMG_7685.jpg
IMG_7690.jpg

@leonard_nemoy - are you wiring in a 7-pin connector for towing? If so, can you please take a million pics, make a thread about it and spoon feed me a "how to" guide. This is on my list of things to get done and electrical is not my wheelhouse.

@leonard_nemoy - are you wiring in a 7-pin connector for towing? If so, can you please take a million pics, make a thread about it and spoon feed me a "how to" guide. This is on my list of things to get done and electrical is not my wheelhouse.
No, I just wired in a flat four. I used a plug and play kit. It was super easy.

It's probably not the best route, but if I wanted to run a 7-pin on my rig I would still use the hopkins flat four kit and then I would simply use the hopkins 7 pin to flat 4 adaptor.

Amazon product ASIN B0002RNSH8

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hopkins-Plug-in-Simple-174-Adapter-Vehicle-to-Trailer/1002650224

Last edited:
Finally buttoned up my OBA access points. Mounted an ARB Twin a few years back on the Wit’s End QPM, running the leader hose out the bottom via a bulkhead fitting, but have lived with a manifold zip-tied to the factory rear bumper. With my Delta bumper freshly installed, I finally got the chance to fulfill my vision and hard mount the coupler to the swing-out. Very happy with the results.

68DD7FDA-DE22-4070-A662-07759407F66B.jpeg

8E9DACC5-9867-40DE-850A-7691EE841CA3.jpeg

482E563B-0465-4402-9326-3535705D1006.jpeg

B0F62F6D-445D-4B98-A028-1C0A091AFE1D.jpeg

AC2301A1-5FC7-489E-BDEB-245E7E8822C4.jpeg

Started in on removing a tar like coating on the underside getting ready to refresh the suspension. Possibly stupid question but is this common? Some sort of undercoating back in the late 90's? It was on the underside of the 80 when I bought it with 40K miles(not just the transmission shown, also up front of motor). Not consistent and basically under everything exposed including the body randomly, frame, suspension, axle, everything....
Touched up the frame on an old camper that sold in 15 minutes after posting on CL so decided to use it on the 80. Worked really well. Not a big fan of the high gloss or POR coating I see out there not do I think its needed here. SEM trim black
IMG_1479[1].JPG
IMG_1476[1].JPG

IMG_1480[1].JPG

Starting 4x4 labs dual swingout build. took longer than I'd like to admit to get the old one off. If anyone wants any parts from the original LX450 rear bumper, feel free to come by and pick up. I have the original hitch as well, a bit rusty.
1618850143386.png

1618850156275.png

Use this stuff for your boot sole's.
1618852437884.png

I was going to clean the rig today..... Than I decided to go hiking, coyote hunting, do some general exploring, and look for some deer sheds instead.

This has been the worst year for coyotes I have ever seen. This is the 7th time I have been out calling this season and still no dogs. No deer sheds either. But I did find a little cave to go back and explore when I am not alone....
View attachment 2649349

View attachment 2649350
View attachment 2649352

Spot the cruiser!!!!

View attachment 2649348

No flat tires but I did get a flat boot 🤣. These Hanwag boots have been great but I think they are officially done for.

View attachment 2649351

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom