What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (74 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

switched from 33 KO2s to 35s Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws. It looks meaty!!!

I am stock geared, and i have not felt any performance impact yet. i am sure it'll bite me on my first trip out west over CO mountains. Overall impression of the switch, the tread depth of these Falkens is way more than the KO2s and it balanced easily compared to the KO2s. It is noticeably louder than KO2s, actually the KO2s were simply quiet, this one has a little hum just to remind you it's an agressive AT tire. Anyway i need more miles to give my full impression of these tires but so far has been good.

1615324840246.png

i changed the oil too, but that's boring lol.

Suspension Saturday is finally here!! Fingers crossed everything goes well! She's sitting pretty low these days with all of the added weight, hopefully this will make a huge difference!

Went with Dobinsons c59-166 up front, c59-167 in the rear with their standard shocks/steering damper. I have about 250-300lbs of weight in the rear with the drawer/sleeping platform and up front I have around 150lbs with dual batteries, winch (steel cable) and steel mounting plate.

Bear is excited...

View attachment 2604911

UPDATE 3/6/21:

Good news is that the lift is on! Bad news is I need to source a knuckle rebuild kit ASAP as there was a decent amount of play in both wheel bearings. The seals are leaking so there is no reason for me to tear into them now just to tighten the axle nuts.

I also need to add extended brake lines, sway bar extensions, and burn in the Eimkeith radius arm mounts that I have in my parts pile. For right now, she might sit a bit until I find that rebuild kit.

Before:
View attachment 2605210

After:
View attachment 2605211

I will take some after measurements once it settles a bit, but before it was pretty much 19" hub to fender flare all around. First measurements showed that I gained between 3 1/2-4" all around. CRAZY!!

UPDATE 3/8/21:
Here are my before and after lift numbers after driving for 150 miles or so with weight in the back.
LF - 19"/22.5"
RF - 19.25"/22.5"
LR - 19"/22.75"
RR - 19/22.5"
Cririser Outfitters has the kit you are looking for. Kurt or Brice can help you out.

@ATXLX what are those finned yellow cones with the clear plastic housing, located on your BMC?

Filters for my diff breather extensions (these specifically). Going to make a more permanent mount for them at some point, but for now they are just secured there with a ziptie.

Cririser Outfitters has the kit you are looking for. Kurt or Brice can help you out.
@Broski - I emailed them on 2/26 as they are out of those kits on their site. Chris was very quick to respond but doesn't have an ETA other than "a few weeks" on when they will get the full kit, plus Koyo bearings, back in stock.

Making my escape from headgasket town! Overly optimistic chance of having her running by the end of the weekend.

Refreshed oil cooler with new slipper, guide, gears, and chain installed
PXL_20210307_185837787.jpg

Timing chain cover and friends are back in place. Power steering hoses are on the loose.
PXL_20210307_222647608.jpg

Need a few more block surface cleaning sessions
PXL_20210307_223728303.jpg

Picked up the head from the machine shop...along with a few other things.
PXL_20210308_225650012.jpg

A little valve cover bling prior to cleaning up the oil cap surfaces
PXL_20210226_173753386.jpg

Installed a GME 330C + AE4707B combo unit that was on sale in my JDM HDJ80 today. Used the factory (useless) japanese little bonnet mirror as a mounting point for the 2.1db aerial as i dont have a bar on this thing yet. I think it looks pretty okay.
958502AC-B6E9-4566-B6F2-980321E68887.jpeg

757AA219-C543-4B49-97BF-8ADDFFB501ED.jpeg

mounted the unit just alongside the DS of the center, as thats as far as the included wiring would reach!
30ED11A9-7B08-402F-84B8-718CA55E7D9E.jpeg

Ill definitely extend it a little once i get a bullbar, because at the moment it is on the 'start' battery when it would be cleaner on the 'accessories' battery in the 24v system. But that will be once a bullbar is installed, and a second 6.6db antenna along with it.

havent picked a spot for the handset yet so it just sits in the cupholder

Overall nice unit, I like having the speaker in the handset but I preferred being able to easily see and switch channels on my older unit I used to have. This is as distracting as a mobile when you are adjusting channels or volume
BFB24F87-EFC9-4EFC-9018-2536B57DFF35.jpeg

also... HODL

switched from 33 KO2s to 35s Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws. It looks meaty!!!

I am stock geared, and i have not felt any performance impact yet. i am sure it'll bite me on my first trip out west over CO mountains. Overall impression of the switch, the tread depth of these Falkens is way more than the KO2s and it balanced easily compared to the KO2s. It is noticeably louder than KO2s, actually the KO2s were simply quiet, this one has a little hum just to remind you it's an agressive AT tire. Anyway i need more miles to give my full impression of these tires but so far has been good.

View attachment 2608809

i changed the oil too, but that's boring lol.
You will love those tires! I've had mine for about 4 years and the tread wear is so nominal and quiet throughout the life. They have been amazing in all conditions. Definitely getting these again when it's time.

Making my escape from headgasket town! Overly optimistic chance of having her running by the end of the weekend.

Refreshed oil cooler with new slipper, guide, gears, and chain installed
View attachment 2609012

Timing chain cover and friends are back in place. Power steering hoses are on the loose.
View attachment 2609018

Need a few more block surface cleaning sessions
View attachment 2609014

Picked up the head from the machine shop...along with a few other things.
View attachment 2609024

A little valve cover bling prior to cleaning up the oil cap surfaces
View attachment 2609010
Beautiful work, incredibly clean! You could eat off of that block!

@Broski - I emailed them on 2/26 as they are out of those kits on their site. Chris was very quick to respond but doesn't have an ETA other than "a few weeks" on when they will get the full kit, plus Koyo bearings, back in stock.

You could also check Cruiser Brothers.

Replaced the brake booster that was making noise and replaced all 4 caliper brake hoses. Still not bled...

Filters for my diff breather extensions (these specifically). Going to make a more permanent mount for them at some point, but for now they are just secured there with a ziptie.
Why do people put filters on their breathers? I’ve gotten water in my diff before and that thing wouldn’t have stopped it. What am I missing?

Went to install my midland gmrs radio on the side of the center console and ran into the issue of removing this "cup holder". I found the single screw underneath, but is there any other secret to removing this thing??
View attachment 2610230
Remove the console. There is a metal bracket between the inside and outside wall of the console to which the cup holder attaches. I believe it pries up and out but you will recognize what to do when you see the bracket. By the way, I learned this after I broke mine off. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom