What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (46 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1613923067951.gif

Some fun in the national forest with friends.

Replaced my VSS on the transfer case and DIDN’T destroy the housing connector upon removal. Small victories.

A11568BE-448E-4433-AC55-1C18C0F01886.jpeg

Good stuff. Warning on towing the kids like this. I tore up my right knee when I was 13 doing the same thing being towed behind the old man's 67 Blazer (wish I had that rig now). Came off the sled on a bump and landed right on the knee coming down (may have been on a rock as well). It has bothered me since then. There is no cushion on a road like that. That said, my knees have endured all kinds of torture over the years, from skiing to construction, that was the first real damage on that one though...

That happens to kids unless they never do anything.

I cut my knee to the bone when I was 8. Floating down the Deschutes River in Bend on an inner tube. Legs hanging behind the tube in the water, hit a big sharp piece of obsidian and opened it up to the bone. Still got the scar 40yrs later. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

Last one...huge thanks to @mustcamp who showed up in Kettlemen city with a jack, blocks and a willingness to help. We rigged this up as my engine moved as the mounts collapsed...this was on the way to the trip, not on the way home;)

IMG_20210221_100436.jpg

how much did that run you?
$58.00ish after tax. Basically 7 cents a round. I'll take it lol. I picked up a Smith & Wesson m&p .22 compact semi auto a month or so ago. I have already put 400 rounds through the little gun so I am glad to replace what I shot and then some.

Fyi this gun is so sweet, it is a shooter for sure. I am so happy with it, the gun is little, light, aims good, and best of all it hasn't jammed once regardless of ammo, it even likes the cheap thunderbolt stuff.

Nothing amazing and no fancy flex shots but I did drive it across town to a local trailhead. This trail is one of the hardest in the area but it also offers some of the best views.

The trail goes up the big red mtn in the background of this picture.

20210221_102347.jpg

Here are some more views of the climb. 1400ft of elevation gain in .6 miles.

20210221_102816.jpg

20210221_103320.jpg

Here is looking down at the cruiser about 5 minutes after leaving the rig...

20210221_104032.jpg

And one from the top

20210221_115718.jpg

All in all it was an awesome hike and day. Temps around 60 F and no wind. Hell of a way to burn off a hangover.

What did I do this weekend? I was defeated!

Starting with Friday, caught my house on fire while soldering, Saturday I caught myself on fire while welding and Sunday this:

My friend who is new to land cruisers and wrenching needs front oil seals replaced on his 470,000 mile 80 series. No problem, I'll show him how to do it. We get to the crank shaft bolt and it wont move with the impact wrench. Ok, I have a trick: Showed him the starter trick to torque the bolt off. Nope! Busted a breaker bar. Got another trick, put a deep socket on one of the bolts on the flex plate and use a breaker bar and add the handle of the floor jack. Nope! Busted another breaker bar. Ok, time to break out the big guns. Heated up the bolt with my torch... Nope! Busted the third breaker bar. Sorry dude, you better take this one in... Now I sit in shame.... But wrenching on a cruiser with a buddy beats a day at work.

The carnage:
breaker bars.JPG

Starting with Friday, caught my house on fire while soldering, Saturday I caught myself on fire while welding and Sunday this:

My friend who is new to land cruisers and wrenching needs front oil seals replaced on his 470,000 mile 80 series. No problem, I'll show him how to do it. We get to the crank shaft bolt and it wont move with the impact wrench. Ok, I have a trick: Showed him the starter trick to torque the bolt off. Nope! Busted a breaker bar. Got another trick, put a deep socket on one of the bolts on the flex plate and use a breaker bar and add the handle of the floor jack. Nope! Busted another breaker bar. Ok, time to break out the big guns. Heated up the bolt with my torch... Nope! Busted the third breaker bar. Sorry dude, you better take this one in... Now I sit in shame.... But wrenching on a cruiser with a buddy beats a day at work.

The carnage:
View attachment 2592570
It is hard to tell but those look like quality tool truck grade breaker bars. Hopefully you can get them warrantied/repaired. Time to step up to the 3/4" drive plate lol

The carnage:
View attachment 2592570

For what it's worth after i busted 2 or 3 breaker bars i went to lowes and grabbed a length of steel. I drilled a 2" hole in it to allow the big impact socket to fit through. Two more holes to allow me to fix the steel to the harmonic balancer and job done. I think it cost me 20 bucks all in....oh i bought a 3/4 breaker bar, so there is that.

20210221_204141.jpg

For what it's worth after i busted 2 or 3 breaker bars i went to lowes and grabbed a length of steel. I drilled a 2" hole in it to allow the big impact socket to fit through. Two more holes to allow me to fix the steel to the harmonic balancer and job done. I think it cost me 20 bucks all in....oh i bought a 3/4 breaker bar, so there is that.

View attachment 2592628
I had discussed this option but wasn't sure the advantage. Holder the harmonic balancer from spinning was not the issue. It was busting the breaker bar. Although I did not think of going to 3/4. Maybe should have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom