What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (64 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wrapping up my interior. Test fitted my OEM switches for Aux fan, Light bar, And Bumper lights. Shame the fan switch is mounted upside down. It came from Dubai so it must have been mounted elsewhere is the cab.

View attachment 2359115
Just pop the switch out and flip it around. lol

Long response but to answer as completely as possible, this is the only way.

90 percent of the airflow isn’t blocked by the lights because of the space around and behind them. To block off 90% you would have to literally stick a sheet in front of the a/c condenser then cut out 10% off of that sheet. Not trying to be a smart a$$ just sayin’.

The grill still has 100% access to open air. The fan clutch’s condition/efficiency dictates airflow. above a certain speed, the radiator’s fins and the fan itself will block more air than some lights spaced 6” from the grill. It’s all about the fan. And then there’s the a/c condenser also blocking some air. The only way that air gets through the radiator is by the fan pulling it through.

As for the grills, they help in slow speed “hot” operation. I reasoned that the fan system pulls hot air after heat exchange, it needs an exhaust to realease that hot air. I placed them in the middle of the hood since this is where hot air will likely collect when the engine is off to help with heat soak. After 30 minutes with the engine off, I am seeing 10 degrees cooler than without the vents.

I use a Koso gauge with sending unit installed on the upper rad hose. Before the vents, in 95 deg to 100 deg ambient temps, I would run 190 deg at a dead stop off road. Now, it runs 185 deg.
I can’t say the temp drop is from cooler coolant or engine temp. Might be from hot air moving away from sending unit itself.

I wish I had the forming tools to make these but Rod Louvers made them for me.
I had fears of screwing up the cooling when I embedded 2x 6.5" LEDs in my new grill but I didn't want anything hanging off the bumper. The passenger side has a 12" SPAL fan and the driver side has the OEM cooler in place. With my in-place modified Blue Hub fan clutch (and SPAL fan), cooling and A/C performance didn't change at all. I was very surprised at first but that Blue Hub Clutch with 28K fluid moves A LOT of air and the SPAL takes over at lower speeds (traffic and trails) keeping everything happy in the Phoenix summers. :D

20190420_120112.jpg

20190402_101932.jpg

I had fears of screwing up the cooling when I embedded 2x 6.5" LEDs in my new grill but I didn't want anything hanging off the bumper. The passenger side has a 12" SPAL fan and the driver side has the OEM cooler in place. With my in-place modified Blue Hub fan clutch (and SPAL fan), cooling and A/C performance didn't change at all. I was very surprised at first but that Blue Hub Clutch with 28K fluid moves A LOT of air and the SPAL takes over at lower speeds (traffic and trails) keeping everything happy in the Phoenix summers. :D

View attachment 2359350

View attachment 2359356
I like that center section. Mind sharing where you got it?

I too have aux fans and the blue hub modded. That thing really moves a lot of air.

I have the LCP bracket with the 100 series fan and a cheap Hayden 12” in front of the trans cooler. With or without lights “blocking” my a/c just wasn’t cutting the mustard at slow speed. No problems now.

I like that center section. Mind sharing where you got it?

I too have aux fans and the blue hub modded. That thing really moves a lot of air.

I have the LCP bracket with the 100 series fan and a cheap Hayden 12” in front of the trans cooler. With or without lights “blocking” my a/c just wasn’t cutting the mustard at slow speed. No problems now.
From a mud member/vendor @kelly saad. His web site is https://landcruisergrilles.com/.

Went to get coffee earlier and sat in line FOREVER (20 minutes), creeping the temp up to 225F, so I plopped it in park and held the engine at 2000 RPM, it cooled down to 200F in about 1 minute. A/C was icy cold again. My parallel flow condenser made all the difference there.

Wrapping up my interior. Test fitted my OEM switches for Aux fan, Light bar, And Bumper lights. Shame the fan switch is mounted upside down. It came from Dubai so it must have been mounted elsewhere is the cab.

The switches have a raised tab on them that controls the orientation. You should be able to trim/file the bar smooth with the switch body so you can rotate it in the opening.

DirectionBar (2).jpg

Not sure if Friday counts as the weekend but anyway...

This time on things a P/O did that make no sense to me and cause me major headaches during what should be simple jobs.

actuator motor 1.jpg

Those red circles are suppose to be bolts, obviously they are not. Some one at some point decided to turn them into "studs". They pulled this assembly, broke the bolts, did NOT fix the actuator and then reinstalled the cover with what seemed like a whole tube of RTV sealant and put the assembly back in the axle. These were a PITA due to my lack of proper tools and their small size. Several hours of careful work and the help of good friends with a drill press eventually salvaged the situation and the locker now performs like new, and is installed with all 3 of the proper bolts.

Last edited:
Front and rear lockers with 4.56 gears, this took more than a weekend.
Just finished up the hidden winch I've been working on. Still need a flip up license plate mount.

hiddenwinch.JPG

lockers.JPG

hiddenlp.JPG

Happy 4th of July!! 🇺🇸
I finally cleaned up my recovery points and remounted. They are 1/4” bent plate.
Through-bolted with sleeves. Grade 8 hardware.
7BEE3758-594A-4C83-BBD9-1B8673D6C675.jpeg
45CC6260-8DC2-4BB6-9B91-4C24083061A6.jpeg
140791D2-8106-4195-9D48-FD9A8449CE2E.jpeg
A3BA5401-CD19-4011-BA92-6991C569DB14.jpeg
DB558396-ACD3-48BE-B8AB-703631A496E0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom